Author Topic: Fan y Big downgraded  (Read 3681 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Fan y Big downgraded
« Reply #15 on: 11:56:19, 22/08/18 »
I was driving past the Storey Arms last Thursday morning, and when you have not visited the area for nearly two years, you soon realise why they are amongst the most dangerous of mountains.
There are virtually no trees to offer shelter, and you are completely open to the wilderness, a serious challenge in bad weather.
Unlike Snowdonia, where most of the taller mountains offer a little shelter or quick escape routes, the Brecon Beacons offer no respite from the elements.

I am really surprised that the area does not claim more casualties, as it was pretty busy on a weekday morning.
« Last Edit: 16:00:45, 22/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:32:16, 22/08/18 »
It’s like it all the time DA, even on a weekday. It does quieten down a bit in winter but still very busy even then. My daughter is not a walker but wanted to do the horseshoe for charity a few months ago, so I took her up from the Neuadd reservoir end rather than Storey Arms or Pont ar  Daf. On Corn Du I was stopped twice and asked which mountain were they on  ::)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:16:25, 22/08/18 »
It was totally different back in the 1980s & early 90s.
I was living just under an hours drive from the Pont Y Daf carpark, and i can remember having the entire tourists path up Pen Y Fan to myself, on numerous occasions, even during the summer months.
The weekends were more busy, but mid week back in the 1980s, you could sometimes count the cars in both car parks, on two hands.

Walking in the Beacons, has always been popular, just look at the numerous guide books printed thirty odd years ago, so i wonder why footfall on the hills has increased considerably.?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy