Author Topic: Coast to Coast  (Read 23185 times)

Brian

Re: Coast to Coast
« Reply #15 on: 21:27:05, 24/04/07 »
Hi and thanks for the Welcome.

I actually started the planning for this in December and chose my dates to suit the longest days (To allow for any navigation mistakes :-[
Living on the Isle of Man with the Centenery of the TT races during the first 2 weeks of June I didnt want to miss that. I have opted for the B&B, Guest House, PH route which is obviously dearer but I am of an age where I like my home comfort ;D.

I have recently joined the LDWA and researched other Trails to do later in the year hence my choice between the South Downs Way, Cotswold Way and Ridgeway, Until moving over here I lived in the Thames Valley region so easier for me to arrange one of them with local knowledge.

I am looking forward to the C2C and I am sure that if you do it you will be the same so my advice is do it as we are only here once,

Brian

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:39:00, 24/04/07 »
Hi again,

Sounds like a good plan.  Are you doing the walk on your own? Personally, I don't particularly like walking on my own, I like to have someone with me to shoot the breeze with, especially over long distance.  :P

There you go baiting me, I tell you, I'll have to keep Mrs. Blister from reading this over my shoulder.  She won't thank you for it.  ;D

If you're thinking of walking the Ridgeway, Titaniumdude, one of the chaps who contributes on here, wrote an interesting account of his walk up there, you can find it the Ridgeway thread.

All the best, pal.  :D

Brian

« Reply #17 on: 21:58:18, 24/04/07 »
Hi again,

I am doing the C2C with 3 others and meeting them at St Bees.

I have read the article and like you said very interesting. If I was to do the Ridgeway south to north ending at Ivinghoe Beacon I would then be about 20 miles from where my son lives which would be very handy, however at this moment the one that it looking favourite is the South Downs Way, I dont know why but it just appeals to me. I will more than likely do this on my own. I am easy walking either with another or on my own. its nice to have company especially in the evening but I also like walking alone and just taking in all the sights and smells.

All the Best
Brian

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:47:43, 27/04/07 »
Hi Brian

Have you decided where to camp by ....Richmond...(i think thats right, head scrambled with pain killers at present) ?
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Brian

« Reply #19 on: 10:50:45, 28/04/07 »
Hi Summit (Like your site by the Way)

My days of camping are long gone although I used to enjoy it, I prefer my comfort now as I get older (Maturer ;)) so am doing the B&B, Guest, House Pub overnights and with the baggage moved on for me then able to carry light pack - The joys? of getting older, although at times I do think its a bit of a fraud way of doing things as I always used to think that walking and camping really go hand in hand.

Brian

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:16:57, 28/04/07 »
Thanks Brian

Its no fraud, you are out there enjoying the walk and thats the most important part.
I really enjoyed the C2C and i hope you do too  ;)

M J B

« Reply #21 on: 21:13:05, 07/05/07 »
Train tickets booked for the 25th of June, doing it in 11 days!

Emma

« Reply #22 on: 17:42:07, 08/05/07 »
You are so lucky that i'm working in June!!! (or i might've invited myself along)
 ;)

Enjoy!!!

(I've still not got my Hadrian's wall one sorted  :( )

Brian

« Reply #23 on: 19:21:43, 08/05/07 »
M J B

All thing being equal I will be 10 days ahead of you ;D, I start the walk on 15th June but taking 13 days. Cant wait and starting to count down the days

Brian

M J B

« Reply #24 on: 22:37:31, 08/05/07 »
Brian,

How did you come up with 13 days?

I've been looking on the web to see how many days people normally do it in, but not having much luck. Its not my idea to do it in 11, i would probably take a few more days but still. My pennine way trip was planned for 16 so i guess this fits in with that.

Does not seem to be any decent websites about it, very strange.

Mark

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:35:27, 09/05/07 »
MJB

Dont know if it would be any help but i have the small route maps for the C2C, some have remarks with them from when i did it, if you want i could scan them and send them onto you. :)

Brian

« Reply #26 on: 19:01:47, 09/05/07 »
M J B

Have a look at the following site 
http://www.walkingplaces.co.uk/c2c.htm [nofollow]
and click onto Micro sites and you will see about 6 different write ups of people that have done the walk and it includes the places that they stayed at (Which will determine the number of days they spent walking)

I assume that doing the C2C in 11days you are doing Stonethwaite to Patterdale in one day, I will be doing 2 shorter days with a stop at Grasmere.

My overnights are:

Ennerdale
Stonethwaite
Grasmere
Patterdale
Shap
Kirby Stephen
Muker
Reeth
Richmond
Osmotherley
Blakey
Egton Bridge
Robin Hoods Bay

Brian

M J B

« Reply #27 on: 21:55:41, 09/05/07 »
If you could send me those maps, that would be cool!

Brian, that website is just what i was looking for. Many thanks  ;D

11 days with tents lmao must be mad!!!  :o

Brian

« Reply #28 on: 22:05:13, 09/05/07 »
M J B
I have them set up in Memory Map ready for my Gps but I dont know how to send them through tinternet :-\ . If you know how then let me know and I will gladly send them to you.

Brian

M J B

« Reply #29 on: 22:07:02, 09/05/07 »
sorry Brian, that was aimed at summitzero!

will have to have a look into this memory map/gps malarky!

Cheers, Mark

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy