Author Topic: N Devon Campsite needed  (Read 2450 times)

susiej

• Veteran Member
N Devon Campsite needed
« on: 22:35:59, 17/04/11 »
Anyone know of a campsite N Devon ish, we have the following requirements;
Dog friendly
Allowed to have fires
Not too far from a beach????

Happy (prefer) no frills, don't want club house and all that jazz, previously have stayed at Poole Bridge on Exmoor which is nearly perfect and we may end up there but was hoping for somewhere nearer to a nice beach if at all poss???
Any ideas???

For the sumer hols btw
 O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
Re: N Devon Campsite needed
« Reply #1 on: 18:51:06, 18/04/11 »
Hi Susiej
can't help with campsites I'm afraid, I only just bought my first tent and I haven't used it yet. Bet you have a great time though, it's gorgeous up there  O0 

nigellionhearts

« Reply #2 on: 20:03:06, 18/04/11 »
If you like Poole Bridge, have you tried Cloud Farm near Oare,  It's in the doone valley bit closer to Lynmouth.  I  have used both on many occasions and would recommend either!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:50:49, 19/04/11 »
If you like Poole Bridge, have you tried Cloud Farm near Oare,  It's in the doone valley bit closer to Lynmouth.  I  have used both on many occasions and would recommend either!

Is that the one that has a tea/icecream shop (or shoppe) with tables outside and a river running alongside. If so , it looks lovely SusieJ. We stopped there on a walk last year for a cuppa and I said I would love to stay there. Not sure how far from the beach, or about dogs so you would have to check. I think they may allow campfires along the river (but I might be thinking of somewhere else so check).
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

yeoman

« Reply #4 on: 18:15:49, 19/04/11 »
Oh I miss North Devon.
My Mum and late step-father lived there, near Hartland, any opportunity to visit and I was there.
Used to watch the Hawks flying below their house in the valley, that is the Hawk Trainer jet from RNAS Culdrose!
Used to watch the Hawks flying below their house in the valley, that is the birds  ::) 
Loved that Mum had a card with the number of the Shamrock Cafe in Hartland on her wall, where locals would call in case of emergency, as they knew a local farmer who was first aid trained (ambulance)/ had a bowser trailer (Fire) or a Shotgun (Police) :o   ;D
All too long ago ~sigh~  Anyway, back to the question...
Their used to be a fairly nice little site in Stoke, and one somewhere around Woolsery (spelt Woolfardisworthy).

EDIT: Sorry, not Woolsery but Steart Farm at Bucks Mill [nofollow], Dog Friendly, but not sure about fires, they do metion Barbecues;
Barbeques. Freestanding barbeques are permitted but do not place instant barbeques on the grass; they kill it; please ask for a flat tile. Two barbeque pits are available in Oak Meadow. The grills and ash trays can be collected from reception when it is open and must be returned clean the following morning.

The other is Stoke Barton [nofollow], seems they have small showers! (according to reviews on Google) but they are Dog friendly (their website even has a page just for dogs! and they allow camp fires:

If you want a camp fire then firewood can be purchased from the farm.
Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.
Henry David Thoreau

nigellionhearts

« Reply #5 on: 21:41:21, 19/04/11 »
Yes Cloud Farm is along side the river they allow dogs and open fires O0 , but its not the one by the Ford and shop in Oare.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:42:20, 19/04/11 »
Yes Cloud Farm is along side the river they allow dogs and open fires O0 , but its not the one by the Ford and shop in Oare.

It was really nice, if you stay there I might even be tempted to join you for a day or two SusieJ - I might have some pics, will check tomorrow.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:15:25, 20/04/11 »
Thanks all will check these suggestions out  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

rdpounder

« Reply #8 on: 11:29:01, 24/04/11 »
Not sure whether it meets all your criteria but I've heard very good things about North Morte Farm.  What I can vouch for is that it's very near the coast, and a lovely bit of coast it is, both for walking and beaches

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:00:40, 24/04/11 »
Hi Suzie,
I'd recomend Doone Valley campsite, its very close to Cloud Farm but I think its slightly cheaper. You can have fires and it's next to a very pretty river. We have stayed their a few times in June. No need to book you turn up and pitch and the farmer lady comes round on her quad bike morning and evening to take payment.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3753
http://www.brendonvalley.co.uk/DooneCampSite.htm

some photos of the site in my partner's photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabidpounder/sets/72157624282176474/
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan
http://www.justgiving.com/emmas-challenge

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy