Author Topic: Hot food without a stove..  (Read 2972 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Hot food without a stove..
« Reply #15 on: 16:31:21, 04/03/18 »
You've obviously not eaten Heinz baked beans recently!  They taste of nowt unless you put the sugar and salt back into them that they took out to make them "healthy"  ;D

.... I remain to be convinced .....

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:27:38, 04/03/18 »
Sussamb is probably aware the forces have been using them for years.

O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:29:01, 04/03/18 »
Mel, nothing to do with taste ... It's the calories they contain that's important  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:01:55, 04/03/18 »
No picture or price, sussamb, is it no longer available?

The list of ingredients looks like the contents of a kids' chemistry set.

But it includes a wet wipe for Welsh Rambler! (As in thread "The little things that make hiking so much better".)
I might try one of these kits, I've never thought before of having a heated wet wipe but it sounds like luxury  :D
Regards Keith

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:14:57, 04/03/18 »
I personally wouldn’t touch this form of convenience food, preferring to take natural foods into the hills.
As a person with Crohn’s Disease (bowel disorder) I’m very sceptical of such a product, and feel they are far from healthy having read the ingredients  :o

I guess for most healthy folk, one or two meals every now and then may be okay, but an argument for process foods affecting the gut is growing in the western world.

Most peeps don’t give their intestines a second thought, but is this complicated organ really designed to process these chemicals?

Just my opinion  :)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Stube

« Reply #20 on: 09:50:25, 05/03/18 »

Posted by: fernman « on: Yesterday at 10:37:07 » 
  • Insert Quote

•  Quote from: sussamb on Yesterday at 09:39:19<blockquote>Picture shows for me and yes, still available.
    </blockquote>
    Thanks. It must be my XP netbook, still not showing. I'll look on the 8.1 desktop tomorrow, my source of income is doing her invoices on it today. 

Fernman: It displays correctly on my XP notebook - but I do use Firefox as a browser.

fernman

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #21 on: 13:04:10, 05/03/18 »
    Thanks, Stube, mine's Pale Moon, which is FireFox wearing a different hat. Never mind, I've seen the product on the 8.1 desktop pc now.

With my cooking skills being non-existant I'm thinking about buying one or two of the meals for dinners in base camp. They would make a change from freeze dried packets, although by comparison with those they seem to be a bit low in calories for a growing lad like me ::) .

MichaelUK

« Reply #22 on: 16:34:50, 05/03/18 »
    I bought myself a food flask, 500ml. Doesnt keep the food as hot as I would like, but warm enough to enjoy. Im experimenting with various home made and bought meals, and how to keep them hotter. I pre warm the flask and heat the food in the microwave without burning it. Ive seen one that can be used in the microwave, hopefully the food would be hotter after several hours. My day walks dont warrant a stove, usually 7 - 8 hours.

Mel

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #23 on: 18:12:35, 05/03/18 »
    Mel, nothing to do with taste ... It's the calories they contain that's important  ;)

I'm sure if I'd done a hard day's walking and dogsick in a bag was all that was on offer then it would taste bluddi wonderful but, then again, so would cake, which also has lots of calories and doesn't require a stove  :D   :-[

jimbob

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #24 on: 18:17:54, 05/03/18 »
    Just as well our forces don't  think their reward for doing what they do is a bag of dog sick. 

As you said before you haven't  tried it. I can assure you that Heinz have not got their mits on the yummy beans.

The stew and dumplings are great as well.
    There us even a way to use the heat pa ks to make water hot enough for a coffee or hot chocolate. Not hot enough for tea though, which is surprising given the inventiveness  of our army lads n lasses.
    Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #25 on: 18:41:15, 05/03/18 »
    ... but an argument for process foods affecting the gut is growing in the western world....their intestines a second thought, but is this complicated organ really designed to process these chemicals?

I've believed this for a long time.  Most of my food is home cooked from scratch because I feel quite strongly about that particular subject if I'm honest. 

jimbob - the water doesn't get hot enough to make a cup of tea?  :o   Sacrilege  :knuppel2:    

sussamb

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #26 on: 18:52:32, 05/03/18 »
    As you said before you haven't  tried it. I can assure you that Heinz have not got their mits on the yummy beans.

Agreed ... doesn't taste too bad, and very welcome when you're hungry  O0
    Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #27 on: 19:02:48, 05/03/18 »
    Proper tea needs water at100 deg c.
    So if you're  up high or using a rat pack heater then you are unlikelet to achieve that temperature. However. If you get tea from many cafes etc nowadays  they are likely to use one of those pressure coffee machine to make the hot water.  It us rarely if ever at the correct temperature. (The hint is on the word pressure) If you can cope with that then yes they can make a hot drink making use of a teabag to colour the water as so many cages serve these days.

Rat packs are ace and carrying one for emergencies is a sensible thing to do in my opinion. You can purchase all sorts of kits from armies all around the world.  Still to find a US MRE with ice cream though. That would be my holy grail.
    Too little, too late, too bad......

photonut

« Reply #28 on: 11:09:31, 07/03/18 »
    Having just looked at these self heating meals, it seems the 'heater bag' carries a Dangerous Goods Classification:

"This is a hazardous good classed as a class 4.3"

Does this mean you need to have the appropriate DG label on your rucksack?  :D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #29 on: 12:11:09, 07/03/18 »
    Having just looked at these self heating meals, it seems the 'heater bag' carries a Dangerous Goods Classification:

"This is a hazardous good classed as a class 4.3"

Does this mean you need to have the appropriate DG label on your rucksack?  :D

Just make sure no one steals it, otherwise they might sue you.

Plenty of lawyers out there advertising for just that sort of windfall.
    BWW
    Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy