Author Topic: Bivvy's ?  (Read 6594 times)

darksky

• Veteran Member
Bivvy's ?
« on: 02:18:12, 23/10/07 »
 :-\ I'm after buying a bivvy instead of using my tent,What i have planned is just 1 night maybe 2 nights in the lake district and to save on weight and space in my rucsac, thought I'd sleep under the stars litrally this time..,so has anyone got any ideas of any good ones,not to expensive though.Thanks.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Feriol

Re: Bivvy's ?
« Reply #1 on: 15:43:29, 23/10/07 »
Try and get an army one from a surplus store if you can. Not sure how they compare price wise to commercial products, but they are excellent, and obviously built to last and take a lot of use, which commercial bivvy's don't tend to be, they are seen often as occasional use or emergency kit, so are not as well built.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:04:42, 23/10/07 »
 O0 Thanks Feriol theres  an army surplus store in manchester city centre where ive seen some, i'll try there,just hope there not to pricey as im saving up for a few bits of new/better kit.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:08:32, 23/10/07 »
Dude,

I don't know much about Bivvys but I'm not convinced that sleeping in one at this time of year is a good idea.  Your gonna freeze your proverbial off!

Let me know what you've gone for!  ;)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:19:11, 23/10/07 »
  Agree with Blister,you will freeze your nuts off at this time of the year,and if it rains  you are  going  to be  spending 12 grim hours in a bloody sack!

Bivvying is great in the summer months,when you can use a decent sleeping bag instead of a bivi bag.
« Last Edit: 17:21:02, 23/10/07 by tonyk »

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:35:28, 23/10/07 »
 :-\ I thought that actually, i suppose i just needed a slap across the head,metaphorically speaking that is..

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:50:46, 23/10/07 »
Don't worry about it, DS, you're just checking out new ideas.  Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck, bro!

titaniumdude

« Reply #7 on: 00:38:02, 24/10/07 »
The army surplus bivi bags are great.  Check out ebay.  Managed to get a brand new (still sealed in the original pack) one for 40 notes earlies this year.  Only used it in summer mind you, but it is top.  Big enough to shove the pack in as well.  Does what it sez on the box etc.  Unless you mean a tarp in which case I have no experience in recent years, but did use one a lot (including winter) in the 80's and that was top too.
« Last Edit: 00:39:57, 24/10/07 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:45:58, 24/10/07 »
The army surplus bivi bags are great.  Check out ebay.  Managed to get a brand new (still sealed in the original pack) one for 40 notes earlies this year.  Only used it in summer mind you, but it is top.  Big enough to shove the pack in as well.  Does what it sez on the box etc.  Unless you mean a tarp in which case I have no experience in recent years, but did use one a lot (including winter) in the 80's and that was top too.

How heavy are these things, and what's their size like? I rather like the sound of them. Like Darksky, I tend to get a little annoyed lugging my tent around and would rather have something a little lighter and simpler. Plus with wild camping, I'm always paranoid that some farmer is going to appear in the night and move me on.

Surely bugs are going to get in, and I find it hard to believe that they'll keep out the rain.

Cheers.  ;)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:46:17, 24/10/07 »
 :-\ I thought  seeing as your in your sleeping bag plus in the bivvy with some sort of clothing on too would it not still be warm enough even at end of november? Maybe with a tarp fixed over you aswell?

Deerplay

« Reply #10 on: 14:08:10, 24/10/07 »
Depends on how good your sleeping bag is really. Cold wasn't an issue when I bivvied out on the Vallee Blanche coz I had a good sleeping bag and bivi bag. Dug a little hole in the snow too. Temps there must have got down to about -20. As others have said it's probably the long dark boring nights that'll get to you unless you go to the pub first.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:31:19, 24/10/07 »
 :-\ Deerplay its this walk to Great langdale at end of November that WG has organised im maybe thinking about using a bivvy,so i rekon it will be after the pub, plus i have got 2 good sleeping bags,but the smaller packed of the 2 is a new VANGO which is ''one'' of there good un's. and when packed its only 30cm by 21cm..,anyway i have awhile yet to make my mind up.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:23:51, 24/10/07 »
 The Langdale campsite is notorious for being an Al Queda training ground.MI5 had the camp under surveillance for a long time,and still probably do.Some of the 21/7 suicide bombers trained there,as did one or two other terrorists.I should imagine anyone sleeping there in a military type bivvi is going to attract  some attention! 

titaniumdude

« Reply #13 on: 21:48:25, 24/10/07 »
The Langdale campsite is notorious for being an Al Queda training ground.MI5 had the camp under surveillance for a long time,and still probably do.Some of the 21/7 suicide bombers trained there,as did one or two other terrorists.I should imagine anyone sleeping there in a military type bivvi is going to attract  some attention! 
Yep it's true.  Found this on the Langdale website.....

'17 Jan 2007: Langdale linked to terrorists !

One of the alleged 21 July bombers came to the notice of police three times before the attacks, a court has heard.

Muktar Said Ibrahim was photographed by surveillance officers alongside four of his five co-defendants at a camping trip in the lake district in May 2004.

Soon afterwards he was arrested for distributing "Islamic literature" in London's Oxford Street, and was later questioned by officers at Heathrow.

All six men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Woolwich Crown Court was told that Mr Ibrahim was part of a group alongside Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yahya camping in Cumbria 15 months before the alleged suicide bomb attacks.

Mr Yahya is accused of helping to plan the alleged attacks while the others and Manfo Asiedu are all said to have set out on 21 July 2005 to bomb London's transport network.

Photographs showed the group as they packed up and prepared to leave a campsite on a farm in the Elterwater area of the Lake District.

The jury heard several men - including Mr Osman, Mr Yahya, Mr Mohammed and Mr Omar - appeared to line up at one stage and engage in Islamic prayer.

Two Metropolitan Police officers were the first witnesses to begin giving evidence at the trial.

One officer said a group also seemed to be taking part in some kind of organised running activity while wearing rucksacks.

"They did not appear to be running randomly," he said.

"It appeared as though there were a series of men in a line running up and down."

A few months later, Ibrahim was arrested outside Debenhams on Oxford Street in London for distributing "Islamic literature".

Soon after, in December 2004, he was questioned by Special Branch officers at London's Heathrow airport, while due to travel to Islamabad in Pakistan, the court heard.

Det Con Louis Chryssaphes said Ibrahim was carrying more than £2,000 in cash, plus a brand new video camera and video phone. He was also had a sleeping bag, cold weather clothes and anti-malarial tablets, the jury heard.

Mr Ibrahim and two companions said they were to attend a wedding and were allowed to travel to Pakistan the following day. The prosecution claimed the purpose of trip was "to take part in jihad or to train for it".

The jury also heard an imam tell the court how Mr Omar confronted him in a mosque after he had preached that suicide bombing was wrong.

Sayed Bukhari said Mr Omar challenged him in a "stressful" and "argumentative" manner after Mr Bukhari condemned a suicide attack in Palestine in 2005 before a congregation in Finchley, north London.

Mr Bukhari said Mr Omar told him: "Don't mislead the people."

A friend of Mr Omar and Mr Yahya told the jury the men had become increasingly devout after attending London's Finsbury Park Mosque to hear prayers by the cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri.

Steven Bentley said he had converted to Islam himself after encouragement by Mr Omar, who seemed to support the Taleban's regime in Afghanistan.

Mr Omar also apparently did not believe the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US were the work of al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

Mr Bentley told the court: "He did say he didn't think it had been done by Osama Bin Laden. He said Abu Hamza had said that it wasn't, and Abu Hamza knew Osama Bin Laden."

The trial continues. '

I'd just use the damn thing anyways ;).

By the way darksky, those ex army bivi bags are enormous.  A thermarest swims around in it, theres loads of room at the top (which is pleated and extra wide) where you can shove your pack and thus get a bit of breathing room (you know where the bag isn't actually on your face.  Only thing is it's got drawcord closure so if it really chucks it down you have to turn the thing over to stop the rain getting in.  A trip to the pub deffy aids a good nights sleep in one of these mind.  Mate of mine uses one with a basha all year round and swears by the combination.  They do weigh upwards of 800g though (about the same as a TN lasercomp), but they're hard wearing and at the price you don't have to be too fussed about trashing the thing.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:03:22, 25/10/07 »

Yep it's true.  Found this on the Langdale website.....

'17 Jan 2007: Langdale linked to terrorists !

Thanks! You've sold this idea to me now!  :o

I'm already finding it hard to explain to people ("You met them where!?") and now I have to add that we'll be staying at a suspected Al-Queda training camp!

lol, excellent.  8)

Can you post a link to the camp's website?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy