Author Topic: Probable walking week near Dartmoor - a question...  (Read 2403 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
My wife and I are on the verge of booking a cottage in Lydford for a week's walking holiday in April.  :)

I have to admit I know little about Dartmoor and until someone on the forum mentioned Yes Tor and High Willhays recently (sorry, I can't remember who) I didn't even realise it had significant hills - I imagined Dartmoor to be flat... er, moorland.

Anyway, the hills sold it to me (if not to both of us!), but I'm hesitating to make the booking because so much of Dartmoor (including the aforementioned hills) seems to be off-limits sometimes. So my question is this: if we go ahead and book a week in Lydford, what is the likelihood of finding access to desirable areas restricted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(I hope my question doesn't sound too naive; we have extensive military areas near Dover that can be closed to the public, but never are, so perhaps the situation on Dartmoor is similar?)

Thanks!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Probable walking week near Dartmoor - a question...
« Reply #1 on: 18:06:10, 08/02/20 »
The range times are published on line https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme
Luckily, in terms of live firing, Okehampton is the least active and the most attractive for walking if you have aspirations for Yes Tor et al.  There is plenty of good walking off the ranges too.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:23:44, 08/02/20 »
The range times are published on line https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme
Luckily, in terms of live firing, Okehampton is the least active and the most attractive for walking if you have aspirations for Yes Tor et al.  There is plenty of good walking off the ranges too.

Thanks for that Ninthace.  O0

Although the programme only goes up to mid-March, it does appear that the Okehampton area is usually quiet.  :)

Edit: We've booked!  8)
« Last Edit: 18:39:53, 08/02/20 by WhitstableDave »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:21:26, 16/02/20 »
Lydford is a perfect spot for a weeks walking Holiday.  O0  Not only do you have great access straight on to, what is my favourite area of Dartmoor, but you also have access to Lydford gorge and the surrounding forests. 

The Willsworthy range does get used a fair bit mid week.  But you can shoot up the old railway line to Sourton and Oakhampton in no time.

You also have Tavey Cleave in easy reach, one of the most beautiful and dramatic gorges on Dartmoor.  Plus if you are up for a little more of a full days walking, you can head into Fur tor or even Cranmere Pool, for some solitude.  As well as heading across to HighWillhays.  There are also two WW2 bombers wrecked on the ridge.  Happy to provide the locations if that is your bag.

There are also a half a dozen good pubs in walking range.  The Fox and hounds is a favourite of mine.  The Castle Inn does a good meal too.
« Last Edit: 22:25:23, 16/02/20 by BuzyG »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:22:14, 17/02/20 »
 O0 Thanks for that BuzyG. It's good to know you approve of Lydford and I'll take another look at your post closer to the time when I start planning some walks. I'm getting excited already.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy