Author Topic: Cane shields/badges and where to find them?  (Read 1217 times)

Alternative_Roo

Cane shields/badges and where to find them?
« on: 09:42:43, 17/04/18 »
I have vague memories of picking up small metal shields / badges that could be pinned to a wooden cane with small pin like nails. They are pretty easy to find online, however I was wondering where people find them before/during/after a walk?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Cane shields/badges and where to find them?
« Reply #1 on: 11:44:23, 17/04/18 »
I saw a magnificent selection of them up for auction at Morgan Evans auctioneers in Gaerwen on Anglesey, several months ago.
The cane was covered in the tiny shields from all over Europe, but it sold for only a few pounds, i bet the seller lost money due to the high selling premium of all auctioneers.
It sold for less than a tenner.
I rarely see these tiny shields for sale here in the Uk, their far more popular in Austria and Switzerland.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:33:31, 17/04/18 »
They're mainly the realm of touristy gift shops nowadays.  I've seen some recently in the Dales and also a few years ago when I was in Wales (Llandudno).  Oh, and I've spotted some in Keswick too.

Aye, they're still out there if you go looking.

Maggot

« Reply #3 on: 19:33:24, 17/04/18 »
They tend to be between the thimble selection and the tartan picnic blankets in most shops  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:38:47, 17/04/18 »
My kids, or possibly me through them, collect woven badges which also appear to be going out of fashion. It is always worth asking in gift shops, post offices etc. as they are often hidden somewhere.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy