Author Topic: Photobucket gone?  (Read 10816 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Photobucket gone?
« Reply #15 on: 19:51:53, 01/07/17 »
Without wishing to hear everyones criticisms of FB (again ::) ) you can easily post on there (select just me if you don't want anyone else to see them on there, or friends or public f you do) then copy and paste straight into the reply box on here. If you don't have a fb account, don't witter about it, just create one, its harmless I promise you.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:56:07, 02/07/17 »
Not sure what this means, :-\ checked out my PB account and this image the last in added to my PB album;

still seems to be appearing here on the post I added it to.

Are these going to disappear off the posts and topics that have been made? I remember finding some of my photos on other sites used by a completely unknown 3rd party, one annoyed me because it was one of my daughter used completely inappropriately so I deleted that from my account.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:02:27, 02/07/17 »

The only "problem" I've found with FB photos being posted on here is that occasionally FB changes the way it does things and the links to the photos no longer exist so the Trip Report e.g. no longer shows photos, just words...which is a shame. The same seems to apply to Tinypic, some old posts either contain no photos or images that are not what they originally posted.

I stopped using PB a while ago, I found the pop up ads annoying, it was soooooo slow and slowed down my computer but mainly because of the storage limit. A new member gets 2GB free on PB but on Flickr you get 1000GB free (it says I have uploaded 2962 photos and have used 1.7422255154% of my allowance, lol.

At the moment I'd say Flickr is the best for sharing on forums but I'm sure someone else might have better ideas.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:34:00, 02/07/17 »
I do use Facebook for sharing images. Never tried the others.
I've tried a few 'backup' type sites and they terrify me. Like most people some of my photos mean a great deal, and some of these backup sites have deleted both my on line image and their respective copy on my PC. I've also had issues with them creating a folder on my PC and not actually copying them to the internet.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:15:26, 02/07/17 »
If you have photos that mean something to you, it's probably better to buy a USB stick or external hard drive and save them onto that. That way if you have computer problems, you'll still have a portable back up.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:24:20, 02/07/17 »
FWIW, my photos are all in the cloud in Yandex.Disk but they are also on the computer as well, as you can download a desktop app, so no fear of losing them, also you're not then dependent on a wifi connection to see them. You can also add the app to other computers to view the same pictures. Syncing is fast and flawless.
For those who haven't heard of Yandex, it's the Russian equivalent of Google. I don't recommend their Mail, though. I tried it and found it wanting.
You get 10GB storage space with a free Yandex.Disk account, plus an additional 32GB if you agree to photos taken with your phone camera to be automatically uploaded to the cloud. As I scarcely use my phone camera, my preference being my slr or my compact, I am quite happy to have the KGB examining them in exchange for 42GB free!
« Last Edit: 13:36:08, 02/07/17 by fernman »

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:39:53, 02/07/17 »
FWIW, my photos are all in the cloud in Yandex.Disk but they are also on the computer as well, as you can download a desktop app, so no fear of losing them, also you're not then dependent on a wifi connection to see them. You can also add the app to other computers to view the same pictures. Syncing is fast and flawless.
For those who haven't heard of Yandex, it's the Russian equivalent of Google. I don't recommend their Mail, though. I tried it and found it wanting.
You get 10GB storage space with a free Yandex.Disk account, plus an additional 32GB if you agree to photos taken with your phone camera to be automatically uploaded to the cloud. As I scarcely use my phone camera, my preference being my slr or my compact, I am quite happy to have the KGB examining them in exchange for 42GB free!

Always thought there was something suspect about you comrade...  :-X

Thanks for the info  :)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:29:44, 02/07/17 »
I am told imgur is good.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

snoopdawg

« Reply #23 on: 10:24:33, 04/07/17 »
I am told imgur is good.

Imgur is allright for the odd photo but takes too long for anything more than that and I have found lately will only work on google chrome.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:25:44, 04/07/17 »
Closed my photobucket account on 1/7.  Still there on 2/7 so I checked my account settings to find PB says account will be closed on 3/7.  Went in today (4/7) - account is still there as are pictures. PB said my bucket was 22% full with 109 photos so I deleted all bar 3 and PB says bucket is still 20% full!

I wonder how do you actually get rid of it and what sort of algorithm they are using to calculated storage capacity?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:56:52, 05/07/17 »
Yup looks like it's pay or don't play on PB for the future.  Other forums I frequent have increased the amount of space and down load size for images.  That obviously requires more space and cost the individual sites more to implement.   :(

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:59:45, 07/07/17 »
I suppose that image in my previous post answers my question. Open an email from  PB this morning to say I need to upgrade, this entails paying the dollar equivalent of £310, which I cannot afford, if it had been about £30 I might have considered it. Taken out all the images in the topic on Blackholes or X zones, which really takes out the meat of the subject. Just when my research is starting to tell me that I am getting to the spicy bit.
BWW

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:16:45, 07/07/17 »
I wonder when I'll get that email as my photos that I used to post on here from Photobucket still seem to be showing.

Mind you, I use Flickr now so maybe they are just targeting people who regularly still use PB?

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:32:13, 07/07/17 »
I'm still using it as normal with nothing from them yet to say anything is changing.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:22:01, 08/07/17 »
My commiserations to Pleb his PB photos seem to have gone the same way as mine. As I can no longer show an image, here is the text from PB's email;

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*

PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.

Our Terms of Service does not allow 3rd party hosting with your current account level.

UPGRADE NOW

£310 They can't be serious!!!!!!

It then goes into a load of self worth about itself, but all my photos are backed up on discs and external hard drives. Have I in some way been abusing the service PB provides?

In the past I have discovered my PB images on sites that provide information about locations I have walked in. Presumably these search engines which find these images are linking PB to their websites. I will be sure to delete all my images when I close my PB account.

« Last Edit: 08:27:55, 08/07/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy