Author Topic: Photobucket gone?  (Read 10815 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Photobucket gone?
« Reply #45 on: 14:53:36, 21/07/17 »
I haven't had the email yet but as I host my own website, I think I'm going to start posting any forum photos using that.

It's a pain that many good trip reports have now been ruined  >:(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 13:21:30, 23/07/17 »
Found this article relative to this topic;

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

Seems to summarize the queries for me as I am rather low tecky re. things IT. The answers and comments at the bottom of the page provide quite a bit of good additional reading.

Seems Photobucket is not well thought of in general, even before their current antics. I am not sure if I will continue my pursuit of the comparison of the old and new footpath network, with reference to the Corruption of the Definitive Map. Feed back from here has been very helpful, but trying to explain the anomalies I have found would be very difficult without the inclusion of images.

Not that I am too interested in spending my income on something the bureaucracy should have sorted out years ago and anyway the lack of rights of way have never really hampered my walks. Off piste can be less obstructed than the Righteous Way.

Were I to spend, perhaps this offers a way;
switched to Smugmug. Smugmug isn't free, but the cost is a small fraction of what Photobucket is demanding,

I think I would have to study Imgur in more detail to find out what the implied pitfalls are.

Another suggestion;
[/quote]
Has anyone use dropbox as a solution? https://zapier.com/learn/how-to/generate-direct-dropbox-link/

Quite a bit of info there.

« Last Edit: 13:26:04, 23/07/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 20:22:57, 27/07/17 »
I've had an email from Photobucket to say that when my current subscription ends I will either have to pay a fortune or not be able to post photos on the forum. Interestingly it doesn't tell me when my subscription does end but kindly offers to let me start paying more now to 'beat the crowds'.
What! 'beat the crowds'? Can you not do it on line, do I have to go and queue at their headquarters?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 07:47:23, 28/07/17 »
Oh I take it all back, I'm part of an elite group that has been hand selected

You Spoke, We Listened.
Photobucket is now offering a monthly plan
Congratulations! You're part of Photobucket's Elite Beta Group! You have been hand selected out of millions of users to be an essential part of our team of influencers. Best part so far? We have created a monthly option for our Plus 500 Plan. And YOU get the first crack at it. It's only available from the link below, so click below to get started!
so I can click on a link to go on to the new super new monthly plan with no idea what it will cost. Thanks but no thanks

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:10:53, 28/07/17 »
I'm waiting to be part of the Supreme Mega Fantastic Alpha Elite Group before I even think about opening the email link  ::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:23:29, 28/07/17 »
I'm waiting to be part of the Supreme Mega Fantastic Alpha Elite Group before I even think about opening the email link  ::)
;D ;D ;D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:33:26, 14/08/17 »
well, I haven't had any email yet from PB but I looked at one of my earlier Trip Reports on here and see that the photos have been removed with ones telling me to upgrade if I want them to be shown on the forum.

They can bugga off  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:14:45, 14/08/17 »
well, I haven't had any email yet from PB but I looked at one of my earlier Trip Reports on here and see that the photos have been removed with ones telling me to upgrade if I want them to be shown on the forum.

They can bugga off  O0
yes its buggad up my old ones too, I hope they go bust!
Which they surely will, who is going to pay?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:02:33, 15/08/17 »
This is symptomatic of the ill-advised use of free cloud services, I'm always amazed that nobody seems to see events like this coming. Vast numbers of people are becoming increasingly enmeshed in free cloud hosting to the point where it's very difficult to backtrack and get out.

Photobucket funds the service through ads: if readers can see your photos directly on a third party site, they never visit the Photobucket site - no ad revenue. I'm surprised it lasted this long. All other sites with a similar model are under the same pressure - Dropbox recently dropped the Public Folder facility that many people relied on, and as for the many Google free services, I dread to think - if it isn't making enough money they'll pull it (they've got form).

Often the problem is not so much the amount of data you have in their cloud but the links you have posted to it. That Dropbox fiasco resulted in a huge number of links posted over years on websites and forums being instantly broken.

By far the best solution is get it all under your control by registering your own domain and getting a low-tier hosting plan with a Web provider. It's yours, it's cheap and it guarantees your links. If the provider goes bust, or if you change provider for any reason, you just migrate your data over to the new host and all your posted links remain valid.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 12:56:25, 15/08/17 »
For less than a pound a week I have my own website from which I can link to, and my own .com domain, I tend to use it for more selective photos. If I want to post a quick photo for illustrative purposes or a classified ad then I use imgur.com
www.glynmorton.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy