Author Topic: Photobucket gone?  (Read 10815 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Photobucket gone?
« Reply #30 on: 08:35:12, 08/07/17 »
Good luck with closing your account. I tried but although PB said it would close wef from 3/7, to date it has stayed open so I have cleared all my images off it. Even so it says my bucket is still 20% full.
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:25:27, 08/07/17 »
Why bother closing a pb account? I see no need for me to log in again, all my pics are on my laptop. They can do what they like now!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:01:29, 08/07/17 »
Why bother closing a pb account?
Stops PB emails about your account.
They ask you why you want to close your acct so you can get it off your chest.
Stops any future change in T&Cs, such as charging for an account, affecting you.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 11:18:37, 09/07/17 »
Ninthace, thanks for that advice, I think my idea of closing and deleting all images a bit premature. PB have not closed down all my images,yet, I suppose the pressure is supposed to be there to try to make me pay over £300 for a service I have only ever used as 3rd party hosting. Over 10 years I have only been able to fill 7% of my allowance, this is because I have always reduced my image size prior to placing the images on PB. In fact Photobucket has probably benefited through 3rd party usage of my images, which I have found on other web pages, promoting tourism and general interest.

Is this the reason why only so many of my images have been so far deleted or is it progressive?

Looking back at the topic My best pic of the day HumperLumper's, the OP, first photo is still there and that is a pb image. If I go back far enough I find some of my images still showing.

So much of the interest in some of the web pages is in the historic contribution, TR's, advice and general information as well as historical comparison is dependent on the photo images that have been voluntarily contributed. Even if we stop using PB because it is too expensive a way to 3rd party host images, will it be a public service to leave those images in their library, even though their behaviour, high handed and intimidating, is pretty scurrilous.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:30:55, 09/07/17 »
I can see why people who have been affected by PB would close their accounts but not those that haven't. All this means is trip reports etc on here and other forums that no longer have photos....even though PB hasn't "edited" them which means we don't see the beauty of them any more.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Forkbeard

« Reply #35 on: 12:48:14, 09/07/17 »
I find myself in the position now of having no photos backed up online and a load on my computer. I'm tempted just to go back to the old film days of doing things - take less pictures, have them printed. Digital has spoiled us, giving us the ability to take unlimited numbers of pictures, most of which we (well, me for sure) wouldn't actually miss.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:39:01, 09/07/17 »
Unless I'm missing something, Photobucket hasn't removed or deleted anyones photos has it? It's basically just charging a fee (albeit a relatively hefty one) for the privilege of being able to use their (PB's) bandwidth to show the photos on sites such as this one.
Anyone who's chosen to store their photos on PB still can, can't they?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 14:51:47, 09/07/17 »
Unless I'm missing something, Photobucket hasn't removed or deleted anyones photos has it? It's basically just charging a fee (albeit a relatively hefty one) for the privilege of being able to use their (PB's) bandwidth to show the photos on sites such as this one.
Anyone who's chosen to store their photos on PB still can, can't they?

That is the correct interpretation as I see it. I would not take exception to their wishing to charge for this service, but with proper warning. They have terminated the links for a proportion of the images their members have used in the past, in order to pressure them into making this hefty upgrade.

Many here have gone to considerable effort to explain problems, give advice and show how walking can be a rewarding pastime. Sometimes the membership here gets a bit thin both in contributions and expertise, but that is evened out by the back pages of past contribution, which has been backed up with images as well as text. Will PB restore those images pre their decision to require payment or are they expecting to twist enough peoples tails to pay for that bandwidth, they must have calculated as part of their business model when the first started off.

I have stuck with PB because of it's reliability, images do not disappear for some unexplained reason. Their service has not been anyway near good because of the slow connections and the advertising, even to the extent of the risk of getting virus infections from the front page. I got a frozen screen and a ransom demand yesterday, had to switch off at the mains quickly, just because one of their leaping adverts came too close to my cursor.

This is not a service I will pay $399.99, but because I know I have been getting a good free deal, I have not minded my images being used by third parties. Only when I found one of my daughter being used inappropriately, I quickly deleted it.
BWW

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:41:52, 16/07/17 »
Just found this thread. I have posted a lot of photo's on here, and Down the Lane Forum, over the years, now they have all gone. I am not paying Photobucket to upgrade. My photo's are still there, it's just that I can't use them for anything else.

I have just discovered that I can copy and paste Tweets to Down the Lane, I wondered if that was an option for here. Also, I pay £4 a year to Google for unlimited storage on my blog. I wondered if there was a way to move photo's from there to here.

I don't need to store all my photo's for ever, I am constantly de cluttering my computer, dumping stuff I don't want.

Ilona

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:34:45, 20/07/17 »
I've just received "The Email" from PhotoBucket... for the ONE photo that I have stored on there.

I'm going to be awake all night worrying about it, that's for sure  ::)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:44:16, 20/07/17 »
I've just received "The Email" from PhotoBucket... for the ONE photo that I have stored on there.

I'm going to be awake all night worrying about it, that's for sure  ::)

;D

That must be a pretty amazing photo, Mel.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:36:57, 20/07/17 »
Just logged on to WF to look up one of my old Trip Reports for a friend.  Abhorred to find the Photobucket update.  That's many, many hours worth of work that I've put into my Trip Reports basically gone down the pan.
I've used my old TRs a lot for reference, sharing and just reminiscing.  Quite a few of them have had 1000's of views.  I was even going to print some of them off to make a scrapbook of our family's jaunts for my dad, who is seriously ill right now.  I now wish I'd acted a few weeks sooner.

I understand why they've done it.  I don't think I can stomach £310.  It would almost be worth that to re-edit the whole lot to upload and re-link everything, but I don't have the gumption for that right now.

Modern life is rubbish sometimes.  :(
solvitur ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 09:49:14, 21/07/17 »
My sympathies.
Having spent over a decade posting on this forum I have engaged in many interesting discussions with other members, some no longer with us and with the help of 'Show Posts pages' it has been quite rewarding to read back. Many of these have been backed up by photos and other images, so much of the content has been ripped out by Photbucket's Vandalism. I can see PB's reason but not the justification of so high handed a course of action, by all means terminate the service for new but to wipe out many years of past links is close to blackmailing their clients into paying up an exorbitant fee.

BWW

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:15:46, 21/07/17 »
I had a few photobucket accounts and one or more of those has been affected by this and some of my trip reports on here no longer have any photos. It did take a long time doing those reports and it is so annoying to have lost all the pics. It would take too long to retrieve them from photobucket (if I am able to?) then upload them to flickr and perhaps redo the report  >:(

I hope Flickr doesn't do the same in the future.
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 14:21:56, 21/07/17 »
Agree fully April. Apart from it being annoying for those who have taken the time and trouble to post, it's sad that many TR's will now be without photos. I've always enjoyed looking back at TR's posted on here over the years often with a view to making a similar walk.. It's just not the same when the pics have been deleted.  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy