Author Topic: Your first Wainwright?  (Read 86184 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Your first Wainwright?
« Reply #30 on: 12:45:47, 15/08/14 »
I must be a trifle strange x 6 then  ;D
Now tell us something we don't know

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:10:25, 15/08/14 »
we are different.
The only thing that should be compulsory about going walking is that you do what you enjoy and to hell with the rest of the world.

Absolutely - couldn't agree more!  O0

And while I'm in the process of ostracizing myself from everyone on here, I'm not massively fond of the Lake District myself these days.

:o

I used to go quite frequently with the family in the 1970s and 1980s, and remember it differently to the busy, crowded, expensive honey-pot it now is - which upsets me, as it undeniably has it's charms.

I do go from time to time, but for me the experience is a mixed one.  :-\

Theo Frum

« Reply #32 on: 13:16:08, 15/08/14 »
After I finished the Wainwrights, it made a nice change to just go and explore wherever I felt like, visiting some old favourites that I hadn't seen for a while. After a while I got bored with going where I pleased though, and started looking for another agenda to motivate my choices, so I started working on Birketts and Nuttalls tick lists, but not so single mindedly. After my fitness started to fail I turned my attention to the Marilyns, but I didn't get much farther than ticking off the ones I had already done.

The point about tick lists taking you places you wouldn't have otherwise gone is a good one. When I switched from walking to cycling I felt in need of an objective, so I started trying to tick off all the youth hostels in the YHA handbook, and it took me into areas I wouldn't have given a second thought to in my walking days. (Ticking off hostels keeps you busy, because it's a moving target!)

jacko

« Reply #33 on: 16:40:29, 15/08/14 »
I used to think I was strange for sailing up my favourite fells time after, but they feel like old friends and surprise me all the time. No matter where you walk, enjoy what it brings to you, we are all different. I have to admit I now walk a lot from Haweswater, I love the drive in and am always looking for the EAGLE!!!! :o

Walkerflyer

« Reply #34 on: 05:52:21, 23/10/14 »
Around 1975, being dragged on a walk by mum and dad, I was 12, my first fell walk....and theirs! They planned Helvellyn from Patterdale but we were woefully equipped and dad sensibly turned back at the hole in the wall when it was obvious that our sandals wouldn't do so well going further forward. We went back to civilisation straight down the ridge and taking in Birkhouse Moor on the way.

What other fell walkers must've made of the sight of us you can imagine :-)

AmblingScrambler

« Reply #35 on: 00:41:19, 26/10/14 »

First morning at the old Achille Ratti hut on Dunmail Raise we were told to go "up there and back" before breakfast. So my first Lakeland top was Steel Fell in a pair of plimsolls. It was 1971 and I was 11.

We did the Langdale Pikes later that day (in slightly better kit) and got thoroughly drenched, but I was already hooked.

huking+daz

« Reply #36 on: 14:45:48, 26/10/14 »
Everything I had done before I've scraped reall so this weekend I started a clean run starting with grate Mell and little mell fells with my climbing buddy

Hoping to some trip reports

Look out for the pics and reports with out sloth that we take along with us

Will explain at a later date what it's about but all gd fun

urbanhymn01

« Reply #37 on: 13:07:40, 03/11/14 »
Scafell pike for me start with the biggest and one of the best for me still love to get up there at least once a year it as something about it what makes it special when its not rammed out

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 21:08:57, 23/11/14 »
Causey Pike in the NW fells followed by Catbells

jhatter

« Reply #39 on: 09:11:45, 23/12/14 »
Helvellyn from thirlmere, with the scouts, 1982-ish. It was winter, there was lots of snow but very enjoyable. We stayed in the Grasmere youth hostel, then climbed Seargant Man the next day - a fantastic weekend and a great introduction to the Lake District

kevilsonlad

« Reply #40 on: 19:53:01, 28/12/14 »
Haystacks from Gatesgarth farm and one we will never forget .....................amazing

cumbrian green

« Reply #41 on: 18:21:08, 04/01/15 »
great gable from wasdale head,2008 my first ever visit to the lake district,no rucksack and wearing trainers :D

LOSEHILL NICK

« Reply #42 on: 13:09:40, 26/05/15 »
i wish i knew i was only about 8 and my dad forgot what it was but it was above langdale somewhere (makes counting my wainwrights tricky)

Phileas

« Reply #43 on: 15:08:22, 13/06/15 »
Scafell Pike from Seathwaite in May 2010 as part of the 3 Peaks Challenge.
Robin

Backmarker

« Reply #44 on: 21:05:11, 10/09/15 »
Circa. 1980 headed off to the Lakes for the first time. A no particular agenda camping trip with a couple of mates. First stop after taking my 1972 Capri up 'The struggle' was the Kirkstone Inn. After a pub lunch and a couple of pints we were over the road and up the nearest hillside to try and burn it off. We  would have been 'appropriately' atired in Jeans, t-shirt and trainers and soon hit a summit after a scramble of some kind.
Research many years later reveals this was unknowingly my first wainwright RED SCREES.
A few days later and having invested in some kind of a map we were up SCAFELL PIKE in thick low cloud. Somehow hit target.
Makes me laugh looking back how easily we bagged these peaks in comparison to the extensive trouble I go to now over kit and route planning.
Happy Days.
« Last Edit: 19:33:40, 11/09/15 by Backmarker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy