Author Topic: A sandwich by any other name....  (Read 5248 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
A sandwich by any other name....
« on: 15:02:33, 23/01/19 »

A few of us were sitting on a hill eating our sandwiches and started discussing what we called our picnic.
The Scots among us said "piece".  A couple called it 'bait' and I thought I remembered 'snap' from my youth (in Yorkshire).  Someone said they had heard 'pack up'.
A picnic somehow involves a rug, and complicated cooking packed up in a hamper.  We were talking about the thing you take for a walk.
Any more regional variations?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: A sandwich by any other name....
« Reply #1 on: 16:22:55, 23/01/19 »
I have heard bait box and butty box.  I call it luncheon.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:41:31, 23/01/19 »
I have always called it lunch, even though for me it is spread (pardon the pun) out, & often eaten throughout the day.. :P
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:43:15, 23/01/19 »
Porky roundaboy tuck.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:46:33, 23/01/19 »
+1 for bait,  carried ,of course, in a bait box which went into the bait bag.(North Northumberland )
Hereabouts in Lincolnshire I have heard it called a pack-up.
Too little, too late, too bad......

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:33:46, 23/01/19 »
I think we usually just say butties... As in, "Shall we save the butties 'til we get to those rocks over there?" or the like.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:57:15, 23/01/19 »
In the Potteries of Stoke-on-Trent, sandwiches were often called 'pieces', as in 'a piece of jam' = a jam butty.
A common general term for your packed lunch, sandwiches or otherwise, was your 'snapping'.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:09:10, 23/01/19 »
I have a 'leg' of the family from South Yorkshire and as well as snap, I've heard 'jock' used.
I think the miners used to take a jock tin darn pit !

The term 'pack up' is always used by Mrs I. She is from a more urban area of West Yorkshire (  :knuppel2:  ) and it is purely a term for snap and not a full blown picnic.
On the other hand I'm from very West Yorkshire (i.e. not central West Yorkshire - there is a difference): Calderdale - and we were so poor, we didn't have any snap/jock/shim shams/pack up/luncheon/bait or piece   ;D  Luxury !

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 20:54:54, 23/01/19 »
Scran. Don't know if the Bootnecks claim that one but in my service years from 1973 this is the term we used for a meal or snack taken in the field. You don't take a hamper in a tank or helicopter, well officers might but not us troopers.

Pitboot

« Reply #9 on: 20:56:34, 23/01/19 »
I have a 'leg' of the family from South Yorkshire and as well as snap, I've heard 'jock' used.
I think the miners used to take a jock tin darn pit !

The term 'pack up' is always used by Mrs I. She is from a more urban area of West Yorkshire (  :knuppel2:  ) and it is purely a term for snap and not a full blown picnic.
On the other hand I'm from very West Yorkshire (i.e. not central West Yorkshire - there is a difference): Calderdale - and we were so poor, we didn't have any snap/jock/shim shams/pack up/luncheon/bait or piece   ;D  Luxury !

We got a piece of stale bread, with some dripping, if we were lucky! :'(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:03:23, 23/01/19 »
Originally from South Yorkshire I recognise snap and pack-up but have never heard jock.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:09:19, 23/01/19 »
Dropping!  Dripping! You from the landed classes are you. Most we got was a look at the lard and a lick of the crust.
I had forgotten about scran.

Turns out Snap is named after the tins that people (especially pitman) used to keep their food clean. They had snap on lids.
Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:14:49, 24/01/19 »
Must either be boring or posh in Suffolk then. We just call them sandwiches and picnic. Have heard of “pack-up” though, the others are new to me, you learn something every day.  8)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:00:44, 24/01/19 »
It’s sandwiches or picnic in South Wales too, I mean we’re sat on a piece of thin foam on a mountainside rock somewhere, not flicking up the coat tails at a posh restaurant lol. I have heard the term ‘nose bag’ before now but I think that harks back to the early 19th century in Wales.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:10:05, 24/01/19 »
Nose bag often used in the army for a bagged meal  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy