Author Topic: Tent Choice  (Read 3843 times)

Little Foot

Re: Tent Choice
« Reply #15 on: 21:47:44, 31/01/20 »
Hi Richard. That's reassuring to know Wiggle are good with returns. I'm just worried I'll be charged a fortune to send it back. I have been thinking though, that it is the same weight as the compact version, but very slightly bigger, so maybe I could repack it, in a way that wouldn't be as awkward as something 57cm long. It's something I could consider I guess.

I shall be camping spring and summer mainly, for now, so one of those Chinese copies should be ok for my needs. Thanks for your suggestions.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:00:39, 31/01/20 »
Annoyed with myself! Decided to check prices and googled for the Zephyros 2 Compact. Spotted a price for it of £100 on Wiggle. They did a new customer offer of £10 off, so £90, bargain. Ordered then realised it wasn't the compact version.

It's nearly 60cm long! It's 57 x 14, so twice as long packed compared to the compact which is 30 x 18. I realised my error right away, and I mean within two minutes. Went to cancel, but it is saying it has already been picked and is on its way, despite the status of the order saying 'not been processed'. I've contacted them but no idea if they will agree to refund.

I could kick myself!

Don't despair! I know nothing about the compact version but I'm going to take an educated guess, without even looking it up.

A Zephyros tent has a short pole at either end to hold the flysheet up. You can probably see them in YouTube videos. I am guessing that in the compact version these are hinged or in two parts that make them shorter, so the tent can be a smaller packed size; I think there is another video where someone shows his diy job.

But unless the design has changed drastically since I bought mine, on the standard models you can simply remove the poles, they just go into a little pocket at top and bottom. It's a wee bit of a faff putting them back in when you pitch the tent, expecially if it's wet and you're cold and tired, but it does mean that without them there you can fold the tent smaller to fit across your backpack.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:15:57, 31/01/20 »
Just throwing this in the mix -  I looked at the Zephyros Compact as well as several similar Chinese lightweight tents before deciding on purchasing the Vango Cairngorm 200 (for slightly less than £110) ,a slight increase in weight and packsize than the Z2 compact but still within the acceptable parameters I'd set for myself.  I know past performance is no indication of present or future performance but I've had Vango tents throughout my life and have never found a reason to distrust them, something that had a major bearing on my decision to purchase

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping/1104-cairngorm-200.html

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Little Foot

« Reply #18 on: 22:53:22, 31/01/20 »
Don't despair! I know nothing about the compact version but I'm going to take an educated guess, without even looking it up.

A Zephyros tent has a short pole at either end to hold the flysheet up. You can probably see them in YouTube videos. I am guessing that in the compact version these are hinged or in two parts that make them shorter, so the tent can be a smaller packed size; I think there is another video where someone shows his diy job.

But unless the design has changed drastically since I bought mine, on the standard models you can simply remove the poles, they just go into a little pocket at top and bottom. It's a wee bit of a faff putting them back in when you pitch the tent, expecially if it's wet and you're cold and tired, but it does mean that without them there you can fold the tent smaller to fit across your backpack.

Thank you Fernman, that's certainly reassuring to know. I shall try hunt down video that you mention, or at least comparable ones and consider things a bit more if it won't be worth while returning the item.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:55:56, 31/01/20 »
Hi Richard. That's reassuring to know Wiggle are good with returns. I'm just worried I'll be charged a fortune to send it back. I have been thinking though, that it is the same weight as the compact version, but very slightly bigger, so maybe I could repack it, in a way that wouldn't be as awkward as something 57cm long. It's something I could consider I guess.

I shall be camping spring and summer mainly, for now, so one of those Chinese copies should be ok for my needs. Thanks for your suggestions.

Unlikely, as the poles will be the longest item - and you can't fold them!

One thing that would make me hesitate about some of the Chinese tents is the excessive use of mesh on the inner. I don't like a draughty tent, and I especially don't like drips of condensation, or rainwater that leaks through the seams of the outer, falling through the mesh onto me! Although a new tent should not leak, of course. Each to their own on this I suppose
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Little Foot

« Reply #20 on: 22:56:49, 31/01/20 »
Just throwing this in the mix -  I looked at the Zephyros Compact as well as several similar Chinese lightweight tents before deciding on purchasing the Vango Cairngorm 200 (for slightly less than £110) ,a slight increase in weight and packsize than the Z2 compact but still within the acceptable parameters I'd set for myself.  I know past performance is no indication of present or future performance but I've had Vango tents throughout my life and have never found a reason to distrust them, something that had a major bearing on my decision to purchase

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping/1104-cairngorm-200.html

That looks a decent tent, and one I'd consider, definitely, especially since I'd be buying local, so to speak.

Little Foot

« Reply #21 on: 22:58:44, 31/01/20 »
Unlikely, as the poles will be the longest item - and you can't fold them!

One thing that would make me hesitate about some of the Chinese tents is the excessive use of mesh on the inner. I don't like a draughty tent, and I especially don't like drips of condensation, or rainwater that leaks through the seams of the outer, falling through the mesh onto me! Although a new tent should not leak, of course. Each to their own on this I suppose

Yes, I figured I could have the poles separate of course, so they go from the bottom to the top of my sack, whereas the actual tent material sits at the bottom or the top.

Butchersboy

« Reply #22 on: 09:28:24, 01/02/20 »

Yes, I figured I could have the poles separate of course, so they go from the bottom to the top of my sack, whereas the actual tent material sits at the bottom or the top.

£90 is an absolute steal for that tent!
Its a proper tent. No need for a groundsheet.
And will last you alot longer than a shabby Chinese knockoff.

Before returning it just check the poles fit inside your rucksack. They should do easily unless you are using a sub 35L bag.
 O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:15:47, 01/02/20 »
The Vango looks a good tent but I don't think a tent made in China can just be dismissed as a 'shabby Chinese knockoff.' Lots of people have bought them and I even know of two people personally that have them. I haven't heard any more complaints from these owners than I've heard from any other owners who have bought other makes of tents. I'd buy a tent made in China if it was right for me, but for me, its the colour (white) that's the drawback.

The other question I would ask myself is, can Naturhike tents just be dismissed as 'copies?' The tent designs may look similar to other tents, but 'similar' is not the same as 'the same'. The tent material is different from the 'copied' design, the internal mesh is different and when I look at the fittings they too are different from the 'copied' design.

As regards my Marmot Pulsar 1P, there seems to be a Naturehike model similarity to my tent design, but when I look at the materials used, etc, they are definitely not the same. When I look inside my tent and then look inside the Naturehike tent, there are differences again, in my tent on the non-opening side I have a foot-long horizontal zip (for leaving item outside the tent but still under the outer covering) this is, as far as I can tell, is not built into the Naturehike tent.

Little Foot

« Reply #24 on: 12:04:24, 01/02/20 »

£90 is an absolute steal for that tent!
Its a proper tent. No need for a groundsheet.
And will last you alot longer than a shabby Chinese knockoff.

Before returning it just check the poles fit inside your rucksack. They should do easily unless you are using a sub 35L bag.
 O0

I did think I'd got a bargain, but unsure how it differs between the compact version, apart from larger on pack size and weight. The version I have bought does have 2 doors, which is a bonus. I was wondering about the ground sheet. I realised last night that it didn't come with one. This is the one I bought. Click.

I thought unpacking and testing it out in my rucksack might be a good idea before I return, the tent is not forced to stay in the carry bag it comes with, but if I do get it all out, I'm not sure how easily I'd get it all back in the bag if I did want to return it as I'm not one for being able to pack large things up easily lol. I'll have a 58L bag with me, so can't see it being a problem fitting the poles in.

Little Foot

« Reply #25 on: 12:11:53, 01/02/20 »
The Vango looks a good tent but I don't think a tent made in China can just be dismissed as a 'shabby Chinese knockoff.' Lots of people have bought them and I even know of two people personally that have them. I haven't heard any more complaints from these owners than I've heard from any other owners who have bought other makes of tents. I'd buy a tent made in China if it was right for me, but for me, its the colour (white) that's the drawback.

The other question I would ask myself is, can Naturhike tents just be dismissed as 'copies?' The tent designs may look similar to other tents, but 'similar' is not the same as 'the same'. The tent material is different from the 'copied' design, the internal mesh is different and when I look at the fittings they too are different from the 'copied' design.

As regards my Marmot Pulsar 1P, there seems to be a Naturehike model similarity to my tent design, but when I look at the materials used, etc, they are definitely not the same. When I look inside my tent and then look inside the Naturehike tent, there are differences again, in my tent on the non-opening side I have a foot-long horizontal zip (for leaving item outside the tent but still under the outer covering) this is, as far as I can tell, is not built into the Naturehike tent.

Sorry, I don't know how to multi quote on my iPad, so have to respond in separate posts.

The Naturehike Cloud Up 2 comes in various colours, inc green, and was the main tent I was considering. I've been looking at YouTube reviews and they seem very favourable, especially of the materials used. My only concern with buying from China on a site like AliExpress is the returns policy if it arrived faulty, or if it developed a fault.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:15:57, 01/02/20 »
Sorry can't help you with an opinion of Ali Express, I've never used them. I read a couple of times on the Forum that those people were happy with them.

As an aside, I bought 2 hiking shirts from Columbia last week, I only realised that their journey originated in France when I started the tracking process.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:36:53, 01/02/20 »
Little Foot, my wife buys quite a lot of small items for her hobby via AliExpress. She says there is usually a clear returns policy shown with each item.
They generally do not like to replace lost or damaged goods but prefer to refund. She has never had a problem in that area.

It's all uphill from here.

Warbler

« Reply #28 on: 12:42:29, 01/02/20 »

I did think I'd got a bargain, but unsure how it differs between the compact version, apart from larger on pack size and weight. The version I have bought does have 2 doors, which is a bonus. I was wondering about the ground sheet. I realised last night that it didn't come with one. This is the one I bought. Click.

I thought unpacking and testing it out in my rucksack might be a good idea before I return, the tent is not forced to stay in the carry bag it comes with, but if I do get it all out, I'm not sure how easily I'd get it all back in the bag if I did want to return it as I'm not one for being able to pack large things up easily lol. I'll have a 58L bag with me, so can't see it being a problem fitting the poles in.

I bought this 2-door version a year ago, also from Wiggle, for £100. I've been very happy with it so far, although I've only used it in Spring/Summer time.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that it's a 'bit of a faff' to locate the 2 end poles into the 2 small pockets. They have made a design change for this version, whereby these 2 poles are attached outside the fly sheet which makes for a far easier pitch.

I thought I had a bargain at £100, so even more so for you, IMO  O0

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:34:05, 01/02/20 »

My only concern with buying from China on a site like AliExpress is the returns policy if it arrived faulty, or if it developed a fault.

I have mentioned this in previous posts, but I guess you may not have seen it.

The tent I purchased arrived exactly when promised (next day) Although listed on Ali-Express they had UK stock.
I opened up the package and assembled the tent, but couldn't work out how to fit the end of ONE pole thru the eyelet in the tab, all others fitted, but this one didn't, I tried moving the poles around to see if it was 'handed' and this 'nipple' fitted into a specific tab, but NO! it would not fit anywhere.
Emailed the company and explained the problem (sending them a photo of the 'wrong' nipple alongside a 'correct nipple'). The company said they would send me a replacement by 'Over night express'.

Next day, parcel arrives and I think that's a bit big just for a 'nipple'.
It turned out to be a COMPLETE replacement, poles / tent / flysheet / Guys / Footprint / pegs - the whole caboodle.
Emailed the company and asked them how they would like me to return the original tent to be told "very sorry for the inconvenience, please keep it free of charge with our thanks".

I sourced a bag (5 pieces) of nipples froma seller on Ebay at a cost of " a couple of pounds", 2 minute job to replace the nipple and then 2-spares in each of the 'peg-bags' (Just in case I ever need one) and I ended up with 2 complete tents for £75 + £2.

I have no hesitation in recommending Chinese companies for their service levels.

The difference between the nipples.

« Last Edit: 13:37:20, 01/02/20 by alan de enfield »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy