Author Topic: The Beacons Way  (Read 976 times)

dank86

The Beacons Way
« on: 18:18:12, 08/05/19 »
As some of you will know I recently completed the Beacons Way.

It was a great walk that I am going to have to re do at some point so I get to see the views!

I did record the trip and I split it over three videos.
Here's a link the the play list.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdk_fVHlF26x6O4WrkZCmnZvn78PSUoe

Happy to answer any questions that I can 😊

ron6632

Re: The Beacons Way
« Reply #1 on: 14:52:22, 09/05/19 »
Thanks for the vids - Will have a watch when I get a chance.  It’s one I quite like the look of. 

I guess it’s a bit of a tour de force of the Beacons?

How would you rate it compared to other Long Distance routes? (Say Offa’s Dyke)

dank86

Re: The Beacons Way
« Reply #2 on: 21:30:27, 09/05/19 »
Yea its a tour de force of the Beacons for sure!

I did the route west to east, I live closer to Abergavenny so quicker getting home at the end. There were no good shops to stock up in at the start village of Llangadog but the train did stop at swansea so you could get bits there if you didnt bring some foods with you. The next potential place for a resupply was Brecon, this would need a long diversion off the trail and either hitch hiking or trying to get the bus in and back. Bwlch has a little shop but I didnt other going to see what it had and Crickhowel has a few little shops. Bwlch and Crick were quite far in to the route for me (crick was on the day before my last) I decided before I even started that id have to carry all my food from the start for the trip (I carried enough for 10 days incase anything happend).

The route itself is very remote in places (especially towards the east) which was very nice I only bumped in to one other person doing the trail and that was on my 2nd day! Phone signal was very very patchy so if you are using OSMaps make sure youve downloaded the routes before you get there.

The views from what I got to see were amazing, one of the best days for views was one of the worst days for weather I had. Snow was up to my knee and in some places it was deeper but that gave the area its own charm (even with 20m visibility!)

Ive done parts of Offas Dyke (need to complete it soon) and for half a day the two trails follow each other! I found the Beacons way to be more exposed, youre regularly crossing open areas with very little shelter and can be featureless, it wasnt until id come over pen y fan and was heading towards tal y bont that I had a long period under tree cover (taff trail section).

Apart from the weather this was a really nice trail and one ill be looking forward to doing in sections to see the views I missed lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy