Author Topic: Dartmoor Walks help please.  (Read 2632 times)

RoyP

Dartmoor Walks help please.
« on: 14:34:48, 28/03/13 »

I am looking for a few different circular walks for the walking group that I belong to.

I am relatively new to this area and have been asked to lead a few walks but need to find something a bit different as the majority of the group know the area so well and have walked many time many of the popular walks.

Any ideas would be appreciated, about 5 to 6 miles circular, and we are based in Bovey Tracey but we don't mind a journey of up to 45/60 mins.

Thanks.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor Walks help please.
« Reply #1 on: 16:37:05, 09/05/13 »
You can do a lovely round trip near Stalldown. There is lots to see and a whole host of variations possible.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:37:27, 09/05/13 »
Hi RoyP.

I am popping off for the weekend but will be more than happy to help when I return - what sort of distance and difficulty level are you looking for?

MMJ

RoyP

« Reply #3 on: 18:57:58, 10/05/13 »
Hi,

Thanks for the offer.

The group age range is late 60's to early 80's and we usually walk between 5 to 7 miles on Dartmoor or anywhere between the moor and coast, obviously not to difficult, I would say easy to medium, hope that helps.

We are based in Bovey Tracey and would prefer circular walks that are within about 1 hours driving distance.

I have a mixture of walking books but they tend to cover the same walks, especially in the 5-7 mile range, therefore I’m looking for something that is different.

Hoping you can give me a few suggestions, anything will be appreciated.

Roy.

RoyP

« Reply #4 on: 08:07:31, 19/07/13 »
AH WELL!! ALL THIS TIME AND STILL NOTHING   :(

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:16:05, 19/07/13 »
Hi Roy, I've been to Dartmoor on a few occasions wildcamping around Postbridge but am no expert, I'd like to think some of the more versed folk from the South West may see this thread now its been 'bumped'.
roll on the weekend

RoyP

« Reply #6 on: 14:10:34, 19/07/13 »
Hi Roy, I've been to Dartmoor on a few occasions wildcamping around Postbridge but am no expert, I'd like to think some of the more versed folk from the South West may see this thread now its been 'bumped'.

Thanks for your reply, yes I hope so.

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:58:08, 20/07/13 »
Hi Roy,
sorry, missed this first time round. You are starting from a great place, and your driving limits mean you could reach Ashburton or Postbridge or Princetown which are all good places to start. I assume you're navigationally competent? The difficulty with your question is that on Dartmoor, if you move away from the well know paths, you often end up on really rough terrain, and it becomes very strenuous.
Can I suggest you check out some of the trip reports in the South West section? these are probably all longer than you are looking for, but if you are OK with a map you might be able to adapt/ shorten some of them. I also recommend this website,
http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/

for ideas. Alternatively, you are close enough to the South Hams to maybe look at some walks around the coast there, the Salcombe area perhaps where there is pretty coastal walking and lots of ice cream  :)
I hope that's of some help  ::) .

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:15:40, 20/07/13 »
I chanced upon this site too, a real wealth of knowledge that helped me with my plans in the past.
roll on the weekend

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 02:26:17, 21/07/13 »
I'd suggest you go over towards Plymouth and the SW corner of the Moor.

The Plym Valley, from Shaugh Bridge,up the Dewerstone along to Cadover and back along the pipe track.
Around Burrator Reservoir, following the Devonport Leat, over the aquaduct and Crazywell Pool with assorted Tors.  The other side of Brrator from the Scout Hut below Gutter Tor to Ditsworthy, Drizzlecombe, etc.

IMHO some of the best guides to the Moor were the Walks on Dartmoor series printed by Devon Council about 20 years ago. 4 small A5 booklets each linkin up footpaths and rights of way along with points of interest.  Out of print but maybe available in local 2nd hand shops.

thomasdevon

« Reply #10 on: 10:04:28, 21/07/13 »
Blimey Wurz, you're posting at 0226 - do you ever sleep?

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:00:45, 21/07/13 »
Blimey Wurz, you're posting at 0226 - do you ever sleep?

No.   :coolsmiley:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy