Author Topic: TR - Dartmoor: Belstone to Fur Tor (nearly)  (Read 2709 times)

thomasdevon

TR - Dartmoor: Belstone to Fur Tor (nearly)
« on: 15:08:53, 28/05/13 »
A frustrating day out yesterday, but in a wonderful area of Dartmoor.

Good early start to be ahead of the weather, south from Belstone along the ridge past Oke Tor and onto the plateau N of Hangingstone Hill. Then W across the Taw towards Vergyland Combe, S onto Black Ridge. By this point I could see Fur Tor but what I hadn't reckoned on was the hideous peat and bogs to traverse. On good ground I could have made it, but this peat stuff is so rutted. Following a single contour level S as per my plan would still have involved 500m of climbing and 500m of descent, in and out of peat gulleys. I really wasn't enjoying the hike, and in my books, that only leaves one course of action.

On the return leg I pitched head-first down a gulley when my lead trekking pole sank straight through the bog surface and took me with it. No injuries (soft landing!) but bent the other pole at 10 deg off true as I tried to steady myself.

I suppose the firmest route onto Fur Tor would be up the steep slope from Amicombe and Cut Combe. Does anyone know the going on this approach?

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Dartmoor: Belstone to Fur Tor (nearly)
« Reply #1 on: 18:24:27, 28/05/13 »
Hi,

I probably would have gone from Black Hill to Cut Hill via the saddle - it's quite easy to get to Fur Tor from the peat pass.

A few weeks ago I walked to Fur Tor via the The Meads and followed the brook south rather than crossing at Sandy Ford.

I then went from Fur Tor to Devils Tor which was very hard going also!

MMJ

thomasdevon

« Reply #2 on: 08:22:57, 29/05/13 »
Thanks for the ideas Madmax. I could see the saddle land from Black Hill towards Cut Hill of course but there was a lot of peat in between and I didn't want to struggle across to get out of it and off Black Ridge only to be mired in more on Black Hill. Is it firm and level going up there? Cut Hill to Fur Tor looks easy enough.

I also wondered about Dinger Tor to Lint Tor, then due S along the slope W of both Kneesets. The going as far as Dinger from the N is firm, and the contours after that suggest it shouldn't be too bad to Lint and beyond there to the foot of Fur. Anyone approached Fur from that line?

mark pb

« Reply #3 on: 01:38:09, 30/05/13 »
Hi Thomas

I've gone to Fur Tor from either Lane End or Postbridge.

When I go from Lane End, rather than cross at Sandy Ford I follow the Amicombe up to Little Kneeset and cross there. Even in winter its fairly firm so you should be OK coming down from Lints Tor.

Nice thing about coming from Lane End is you get Tavy Cleave and Fur Tor all in one Walk!

I think the easiest route when there's no firing is from Broad Down down to Sandy Hole Pass then over to Flat Tor then straight to Fur Tor between between West Dart Head and Tavy Head

nigellionhearts

« Reply #4 on: 11:29:58, 30/05/13 »
Hi Thomas

I've gone to Fur Tor from either Lane End or Postbridge.

When I go from Lane End, rather than cross at Sandy Ford I follow the Amicombe up to Little Kneeset and cross there. Even in winter its fairly firm so you should be OK coming down from Lints Tor.

Nice thing about coming from Lane End is you get Tavy Cleave and Fur Tor all in one Walk!

I think the easiest route when there's no firing is from Broad Down down to Sandy Hole Pass then over to Flat Tor then straight to Fur Tor between between West Dart Head and Tavy Head
Hopefully that's the way I was planning for Friday via North west passage.  Previously I have travelled from the north but crossed as sandy ford.

thomasdevon

« Reply #5 on: 12:55:52, 30/05/13 »
This is all sounding a bit more hopeful, thanks people. I plan a new ascent from the NW  next time, having come down from Belstone via Okement Hill and hopefully wild camping along either Vergyland Combe or Brim Brook, then heading across to pick up the Amicombe as high upstream as possible. First time out overnight on the moor, should be weekend after this, 8th-9th. Exciting!

mark pb

« Reply #6 on: 21:24:09, 31/05/13 »
You'll love it Thomas. Hope the weather stays good for you

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy