Author Topic: TR - Belstone to Fur Tor, with my first wild camp  (Read 1460 times)

thomasdevon

Made it to Fur Tor this time round, with wild camp last night at the the foot of the Tor on Cut Combe Brook.

Followed familiar route from Belstone out across Cullever Steps (bridges) because I wanted to get back to High Willhays and enjoy the view: the only other time I have been up there I was above the cloudbase. Then SE to Dinger Tor, stepping off the trackways there into the moor. S across shoulders of both Kneesets and made camp appr. 100m upstream from Fur Tor Ford. All kit worked well, even my wife's lent 1980's Karrimor rucksack, though the wind at 0430 this am blew down my bivvie pole so I was up and walking a bit earlier than planned. Nevertheless, a great hiking experience.

I found I was immensely relieved on the outwards walk by knowledge I had my own shelter for the night with me - no more concerns re getting off the moor before sunset and the impact of bad ground or detours / delays, I could stop for the night literally anywhere and anytime I needed to. Changed the feel of the whole walk, I was much more relaxed into it.

Llanpaul

Re: TR - Belstone to Fur Tor, with my first wild camp
« Reply #1 on: 18:06:59, 09/06/13 »
Sounds good. I am hoping to visit Dartmoor for my first ever time next weekend. Any advice?

thomasdevon

« Reply #2 on: 12:49:36, 10/06/13 »
I find that planning really helps me enjoy walks up there: it's also a blessing when the mist comes in, which it can do at any time of the year. It's not really the country for 'bagging' lofty climbs, but off-tracks the terrain is a challenge. Route planning along a string of Tors is good of course but don't ignore the more subtle waypoints like Bronze Age stone circles and menhirs, and tin mining remains.

The kit up there I had not expected to be so useful up there as it was is my trekking poles, a ski mask and sunglasses.

Don't forget to check Army firing range dates at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme.

Have a great time, let us know where you get to.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:30:42, 10/06/13 »
the wind at 0430 this am blew down my bivvie pole

Were you tarping it?
solvitur ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #4 on: 16:50:07, 10/06/13 »
Yes joester, with a DD 3x3m. Found it really well constructed. It was a dry night so not tested under rainy conditions yet, but should stand up OK, and a doddle to put up. One trekking pole up inside near the head and another fixed to the front middle fixing loop to make a ridge. Kept the wind out a treat. Took extra pegs as it only comes with 4.

Looking forward to the next one already.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:16:31, 10/06/13 »
a DD 3x3m.

Same as mine.  I haven't used it in a while.

You should do a trip report of your adventures.
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy