Author Topic: Dartmoor night hike again - Saturday 15th  (Read 2258 times)

thomasdevon

Dartmoor night hike again - Saturday 15th
« on: 13:18:21, 07/02/14 »
Hello all -

Intending another night hike from Belstone Saturday 15th. Full moon is the 14th so should be plenty of natural light (cloud over permitting), and moonrise is between 6 and 7. Weather looks like light rain showers, temp falling from +8 in the day to maybe -3 but I expect not at the lower end before the small hours.

Last night trip with Paul, Chris and Chloe, we got to Dinger Tor but turned for home there due atrocious driving rain. But still good fun. It's good experience / training if you're apprehensive of being up there in the full dark (sticking to the road system, no part of route on open moor).

Planning to set off from Belstone village car park 1800. Route prob Dinger Tor, then Okement Hill, back to Belstone. 5-6 hours steady walk if full loop achieved. Happy to hear if anyone interested (but I'll be up there regardless).

Good walking! Tom

thomasdevon

Re: Dartmoor night hike again - Saturday 15th
« Reply #1 on: 08:17:09, 12/02/14 »
Weather update doesn't look too bad for Saturday - light rain showers only, which might obscure moon but no snow / fog.

May have found one companion (not confirmed yet) but either way setting off from Belstone village car park 1800. Feel free to meet there or on route - Cullever Steps, New Bridge, Dinger Tor, Okement Hill, Cullever Steps, Belstone.

Hoping for at least part of evening to be clear skies with moon (so we can see pixies).

thomasdevon

« Reply #2 on: 11:10:37, 16/02/14 »
Made it! Brilliantly clear moonlit walk, not even any need for head torches after skies cleared about 8. Didn't see any pixies, but that does just prove they're there - they're very shy and stay hidden I think.

yateys

« Reply #3 on: 19:09:16, 17/02/14 »
I hope you don't mind me asking a question?

I'm walking from Ivybridge to Okehampton W/E 7-9 March.  How wet was the ground? Will we need a boat?

thomasdevon

« Reply #4 on: 21:55:15, 17/02/14 »
Hi yateys - we "cheated", we used the military roadways the whole route (well, it was night-time after all!). Parts of the roads were underwater and the moor itself looked waterlogged.

The Army warned 10 Tors teams off the moor this last weekend, many access routes blocked by fallen trees and landslips, moor rivers swollen and changing levels fast.

By March the picture could be much better. Still, it's a brave walk and I wouldn't think of the high moor without poles and very very wet weather gear. Even dry tent pitches will be scarce. The roadways N from Hangingstone Hill or Dinger Tor will be easily passable once you get to them (boring but open all year round). What's your route?

thomasdevon

« Reply #5 on: 22:25:53, 17/02/14 »
Okehampton Range has daytime firing on the 7th - you shouldn't be anywhere near there but if you take a western loop towards Okehampton, Willsworthy has live firing daytime on all 3 days. Don't know if it's unusual for the Army to be doing weekend shooting over that way but a direct northerly route should be fine.

yateys

« Reply #6 on: 07:16:45, 18/02/14 »
That sounds awful. We are military and I have clearances through the ranges. We leave okehampton camp Saturday morning through the roads to hanging stone hill, cross river at teignhead farm, southbound to post bridge, hex worthy , camp at skir hill, then Ryder's hill to pick up two moors way. I have another team driving to ivybridge to do reciprocal route. It's only a weekend but it's taken a good 15 hours planning so I hope it starts to dry. You don't think high ground would have dried enough to camp?

thomasdevon

« Reply #7 on: 08:26:48, 18/02/14 »
You've got a brilliant trip coming up. The word from the Army is the moor is wettest in 30 years. I can't see good going off-roadways for 2 months +, but I can't claim 30 years experience up there. I do think it will be hard to find firm ground for even a 1-man bivvie.

Impressed by the planning effort you've put in, you have to respect the moor.

yateys

« Reply #8 on: 13:48:47, 18/02/14 »
I appreciate your knowledge. Fingers crossed for some dry weather. Do you think it would be sensible to push across to Princetown and camp there? Would the ground in The Plum of Feathers be any easier than the moor?

thomasdevon

« Reply #9 on: 08:06:46, 19/02/14 »
Higher ground would certainly be better drained, less peaty, but you won't really know till you get there. A Plan B could be a good idea.

Sounds like an amazing trip - please post here how it went off in the end. good luck.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy