Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9839 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #15 on: 16:34:02, 27/04/19 »
I'm the sort of person who delays putting on rain gear because it might just be a shower. I usually have my rain jacket on anyway but i can't be bothered trying to pull overtrousers on in a deluge. If it all gets too much i throw on my poncho.

To be honest I never saw the point in waterproof trousers before, I've never been concerned about wet legs in the rain but I don't fancy kneeling down to take a bearing in a wet muddy field in track pants.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:41:21, 27/04/19 »
+1 for Deluge.  Used have some really lightweight plastic trousers. They were murder to put on, the zips weren't long enough to get wet boots through easily.  So I got a pair with full length zips both sides.  Trouble was they used to unzip totally both sides as you got them out, so you ended up with a bizarrely shaped sheet of plastic fabric.  Any wind and you had to take in a couple of reefs before putting them on and you needed a PhD in origami to reassemble them.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:43:21, 27/04/19 »
To be honest I never saw the point in waterproof trousers before, I've never been concerned about wet legs in the rain
  Its alright for you.  Your legs are in the rain shadow  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #18 on: 16:44:11, 27/04/19 »
Tbh i think that the Lidl ones are water repellent rather than waterproof. If it's really lashing down then you get wet legs. Doesn't usually bother me either as long as my feet are dry.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:51:11, 27/04/19 »
Have you seen http://www.bigandtallmenswear.co.uk/c/53/Waterproof-Range ? They start their sizes at 50" waist.
Not sure on quality as only recognise one of the brands. Could be worth a punt at the prices (I usually shop in the £100-£200 range for summer waterproof overtrousers, and these are in the £10 to £30 range).
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Warbler

« Reply #20 on: 16:54:31, 27/04/19 »

Another thumbs up for Berghaus Deluge.

If they go up to a size 45" it might be worth trying a pair on as there is a lot of stretch in the elastic waistband. I'm a 34" waist and have a large pair of Deluge and reckon I could put on a few inches and still wear them comfortably.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:57:46, 27/04/19 »
Have you seen http://www.bigandtallmenswear.co.uk/c/53/Waterproof-Range ? They start their sizes at 50" waist.

Yes thanks archaeoroutes I did check them out, the trousers I bought are (the most expensive) ones they sell, I just bought them from a cheaper site.

Another thumbs up for Berghaus Deluge.

If they go up to a size 45" it might be worth trying a pair on as there is a lot of stretch in the elastic waistband. I'm a 34" waist and have a large pair of Deluge and reckon I could put on a few inches and still wear them comfortably.

I'm really 51" but I find 50" fits better. Asking them to stretch 6 inches might be pushing it but I'll see if I can find a pair in a shop to try on.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:15:09, 28/04/19 »
For me, neither! I can't stand the things, sweaty, fussy and horrible! I wanted freedom from such monstrosities!

I now use two different methods to keep dry. My first was to use a rain skirt. My skirt is a rectangular piece of waterproof material, elasticated along one long edge and secured by velcro. Once secured around my waist the bottom edge is about 6" from the ground. The rain falls off my coat, onto the skirt, onto my gaiters and then to the ground. I have the lower edge weighted (bought in a local haberdashery shop) to minimise the problem of the material flapping in wind. I can put on, or take off my skirt in a few seconds, it just sits scrunched up in one of my rucksack pockets waiting for use. I don't even have to stop walking to use it.

My second method is to use a long cheap (£15) waterproof coat, the hem is also about 6" from the ground, again weighted at the hem. Works just as well but takes a bit more effort to put on and off. The coat is very useful when rain keeps coming and going and when it's windy as well, I just keep it on and when the rain stops, I just open up the zip to have the maximum airflow around me. At the moment this is my preferred method.

In the olden days, when I did wear waterproof trousers, the 'trick' I learned from the Walking Forum was to carry a couple of Tesco plastic bags with me, put them over my boots, then my boots through the leggings, no mud or wet inside!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:34:11, 28/04/19 »
Thanks GWM for replying.

For me, neither! I can't stand the things, sweaty, fussy and horrible! I wanted freedom from such monstrosities!

I don't think I'll like them either, I'm not too fond of waterproof jackets though my Helly Hansen Loke one is better than my Regatta Birchdale one. The problem is specifically kneeling down in a wet muddy field to take bearings. I think I'll prefer the overtrousers to being wet and muddy on my left leg.

I now use two different methods to keep dry. My first was to use a rain skirt. My skirt is a rectangular piece of waterproof material, elasticated along one long edge and secured by velcro. Once secured around my waist the bottom edge is about 6" from the ground. The rain falls off my coat, onto the skirt, onto my gaiters and then to the ground. I have the lower edge weighted (bought in a local haberdashery shop) to minimise the problem of the material flapping in wind. I can put on, or take off my skirt in a few seconds, it just sits scrunched up in one of my rucksack pockets waiting for use. I don't even have to stop walking to use it.

I've read about your rain skirt before. While a very practical solution for normal use, it wouldn't help with kneeling down.

My second method is to use a long cheap (£15) waterproof coat, the hem is also about 6" from the ground, again weighted at the hem. Works just as well but takes a bit more effort to put on and off. The coat is very useful when rain keeps coming and going and when it's windy as well, I just keep it on and when the rain stops, I just open up the zip to have the maximum airflow around me. At the moment this is my preferred method.

Same practicality (and problem) as the skirt.

In the olden days, when I did wear waterproof trousers, the 'trick' I learned from the Walking Forum was to carry a couple of Tesco plastic bags with me, put them over my boots, then my boots through the leggings, no mud or wet inside!

A useful tip and indeed one I'd picked up somewhere on the Internet already, I think from the ramblers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:53:26, 28/04/19 »
Rob,  I can't remember ever kneeling down to take a bearing - have I been doing it wrong?
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:59:07, 28/04/19 »
Rob,  I can't remember ever kneeling down to take a bearing - have I been doing it wrong?

No idea if you've been doing it wrong, probably not if it works. The book says it minimizes errors if you take bearings from this position and says it should be standard practice:

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:01:19, 28/04/19 »
I was wondering the same thing. There is  no need whatsoever to kneel.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:07:24, 28/04/19 »
If none of you do it I'll try taking them standing. My book does say they can be taken standing in various circumstances but made quite a big deal of adopting that position as standard practice. I wonder what archaeoroutes teaches?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:09:14, 28/04/19 »
If I knelt to take a bearing, I would need my walking poles so that I could get up again without pain - the knees are not so good.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:18:23, 28/04/19 »
Experienced walkers not doing it is enough for me to discard the books wisdom, taking into consideration I hated the idea and it was getting in the way. Now I have waterproof overtrousers arriving I'll probably never use. Hey ho.

Thanks chaps. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy