Author Topic: South from Belstone and back  (Read 3235 times)

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
South from Belstone and back
« on: 12:50:13, 16/01/10 »
This is a little while ago (August 2009), but I thought I'd put it up as I think it shows why I love Dartmoor.

The view across Belstone Green:

Heading down the valley:

Army camp from Oke Tor:

Sitting on Oke Tor:

There's a (virtual) prize for anyone who can identify this highly camouflaged creature:

The beach:

An oss:

Early evening:

Tea time!:

The morning view:

There were hundreds of these (fieldfares?) first thing, sweeping down to catch flies and landing on my tarp (with me in it!):

Morning visitors:

Modified Bush Cooker Mk1, cooking up breakfast:

Me:

Red Arrows (heading home I think):

Mark
« Last Edit: 13:05:55, 16/01/10 by SouthDowns »
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: South from Belstone and back
« Reply #1 on: 15:36:15, 16/01/10 »
I love Dartmoor, haven't been for a few years. Is it a crab in the middle of the pic? You don't look very happy in your picture!

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:00:19, 16/01/10 »
Lovely pictures Mark - I don't get down there enough myself. Was on Sheepstor last year - a very different place than the ones I'm used to. O0

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:15:06, 16/01/10 »
Is it a crab in the middle of the pic?

'fraid not!

You don't look very happy in your picture!

No you're right!! I was happy, but it was the early hours (about 10am!!!)  ::)

Mark

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:52:29, 16/01/10 »
Looks rather nice up there.

There's a (virtual) prize for anyone who can identify this highly camouflaged creature:

Small piece of bread? With bits on?

(fieldfares?)

Meadow pipits

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:10:45, 17/01/10 »
That's good stuff Mark!

I especially like the photo of your cooker on the little hill with the view behind.

What make and model is your Tarp by the way?
solvitur ambulando

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:31:53, 17/01/10 »
Small piece of bread? With bits on?

Hmm, close, but not quite.

Meadow pipits

Brill, thanks

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:36:46, 17/01/10 »
That's good stuff Mark!

I especially like the photo of your cooker on the little hill with the view behind.

What make and model is your Tarp by the way?

Thanks Joester. I'm pleased with that photo too; don't know why, but it has a certain "feel" to it.

The tarp is a Snow Peak Penta. It's great in for 3 seasons, but a bit flappy in the wind. I'm about to try making a different one.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:03:52, 17/01/10 »
I reckon that shot sums up some idealistic notion of wilderness camping.

Thanks for the link, I'm assuming for 90 quid the Tarp features a small droid that emerges in the morning and puts the kettle on?!
solvitur ambulando

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:05:40, 17/01/10 »
Thanks for the link, I'm assuming for 90 quid the Tarp features a small droid that emerges in the morning and puts the kettle on?!

Yes it is a bit expensive. I paid less than that, but even so I now know I could have done better for my money.

It is a great tarp, that can be pitched lots of ways, but the fabric is the real problem as there's lighter around, with less stretch and so less flapping.

Assuming my sewing skills prove up to it, my next one is going to be the bees knees!

Mark
« Last Edit: 13:57:27, 18/01/10 by SouthDowns »

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:35:59, 17/01/10 »
Could I trouble you to give me a run-down of your basic kit?

Roughly how much does your pack weigh if you're out for two nights?

What do you eat?

I think I read somewhere else that you were going to get into water filtration?  Have you taken that step yet, or are you still carrying all your water?

How much water do you budget for (assuming it's not too hot), including water for cooking too?
solvitur ambulando

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:23:26, 18/01/10 »
I'll try! I don't keep a list (just keep everything together), and I rarely weigh anything, but here goes:

I think in total this comes to between 7 and 8 kilos, before adding water.

35L rucksack.
Thermarest NeoAir mat
Tarp + Bivvy bag, or one man tent (Coleman Viper) - either option weighs about the same
Down sleeping bag
Modified Bush Cooker (if I know fuel will be available), or Primus gas stove and gas, in a Primus pot with lid
Plastic spork
Cup
Leatherman multi-tool
Fire steel
Two Leki walking poles
iPood + paper
iPhone
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Travel Tap water bottle with filter, plus 1L folding water bottle
Book
Black Diamond Spot headlight + spare batteries
Compass, map and whistle
Travel towel
Camera
Waterproof shell jacket and overtrousers, plus gaiters if I'm likely to need them.
Spare socks
Gloves (3 pairs in Winter)
Hat (type depends on season)
Clothes as appropriate

For food, I have been using dried pre-packed meals like the Wayfarer ones, but they're extremely expensive, so I've bought a vacuum food sealer and will be preparing my own.

If I have the Bush Cooker with me I take a potato or two too, because (modified) it's great for baking them!

I also take coffee with dried milk, and a couple of Cup-a-Soups.

Trail food is a mixture of pita bread, meat slices, cheese, cereal bars, chocolate bars, and nuts normally.

For water I now use my filter bottle - full with 750ml it normally lasts about 2 to 3 hours, and I top it up at every opportunity. If I'm not sure I'll find sources of water I carry nearly 3 litres in a platypus bladder, but try to avoid that if I can.

For cooking I aim to find a camp spot, then go and look for water - I fill my 1 litre folding bottle from the filter bottle, then top up the filter bottle so I have 1.75 litres. If I'm close enough to the water then I might fill the pan directly from the stream too.

On Dartmoor you can often find underground streams.

I feel I must have forgotten something there, but maybe not!

Mark

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:05:17, 18/01/10 »
Thanks for that Mark.

That's a lot less weight than I was expecting, and also a lot less space.
I think that's probably because my experience of backpacking extends only to what I did when I was in Scouts (ages ago), when we lugged round the old canvas Force 10 tents, full size Trangia stoves (etc, etc)!  Although having said that, although I was almost certainly fitter way back then, I probably wasn't as strong (or as tenacious) as I am now.

I am encouraged by what you say, though.  I'm quite used to carrying my 2 year-old daugter in her backpack, combined that's almost exactly 15Kg, so I think if I can get my stuff down to 10Kg or less I'll be laughing.

Can you tell me more about your filtering system, where's it from and how's it work?
solvitur ambulando

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:03:50, 18/01/10 »
Sub 10kg should be very achievable for a two day trip I think. Next time I pack mine up I'll weigh it to be more sure, but it's definitely not over 9kg, and I think it's less than 8.

Space isn't so critical - I have a 35 litre pack because I like the discipline it forces, whereas the almost universal recommendation for camping is 65 litres (way OTT in my opinion). Of course you don't have to fill a pack just because you have the space, and mine is busting at the seams. If I was buying one now I'd probably get a 45 litre one. Mind you, my NeoAir has probably gained me a good 5 litres compared to my old mat!

Filtration is pretty simple really - I use a Travel Tap, and other than having to squeeze a bit harder, it's just like using a normal water bottle. Takes a while to squeeze the water from that into another container if you want more filtered water than it can hold, but it's lovely and compact.

Do remember though that you have to actually have some water to filter for this to work, so it's essential you only rely on it if you're certain there's water to be found. The last thing you want to do is find yourself without any, and in my experience the fact you can see a river or stream on a map means nothing!!!

Mark

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy