Author Topic: Offa's Dyke Path  (Read 2428 times)

FTSTTLB

Offa's Dyke Path
« on: 18:51:16, 03/02/19 »
This is a photo from what is probably my favourite stretch of the part we did (Prestatyn - Knighton), the Eglwyseg crags. Impressive landscape and breathtaking bit of walking.

FTSTTLB

Re: Offa's Dyke Path
« Reply #1 on: 09:26:13, 06/02/19 »
Here's another one. Not long after the crags. The fine ruins of Dinas Bran. I've been to Llangollen 7 times and been up to the Dinas Bran three times. It's a lovely and familiar sight.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:54:02, 06/02/19 »
Nice pics.  I did the whole trail a few years ago so bringing back memories  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:12:15, 06/02/19 »
Nice pics.  I did the whole trail a few years ago so bringing back memories  O0

I'm doing it in June  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

FTSTTLB

« Reply #4 on: 12:19:24, 06/02/19 »
Great, I have a blog about it. At the moment it's in Dutch, but I'm going to translate it in English (once I finish Hadrian's Wall Path). I'll let you know. Might bring more memories/inspiration.
@bricam2096 Are you going to do the full trail? Where will you start and end?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:29:02, 06/02/19 »
Great, I have a blog about it. At the moment it's in Dutch, but I'm going to translate it in English (once I finish Hadrian's Wall Path). I'll let you know. Might bring more memories/inspiration.
@bricam2096 Are you going to do the full trail? Where will you start and end?

I'm doing the full trail, from South to north (starting in Chepstow) in June. Wasn't sure which direction to go but a few things make it easier for me heading that way.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dave_p

« Reply #6 on: 13:43:18, 06/02/19 »
I did Offa's from Knighton to Prestatyn a couple of years ago, kind of on a whim.  I had a week of work and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I bought the Trailblazer guide and off I went.  I absolutely loved it and caught the long distance walking bug. 

The first day was Knighton to Mellington over the switchbacks which was tough going and something of a baptism of fire for walking with a heavy pack (something I'd never really done before for more than 3-4 miles for overnight wild camping), but I got stronger and fitter, day on day.  When I got to Prestatyn I was full of beans and would have happily walked all the way back again.  Sadly i had to return to work though.
Since then I've done other National Trails but Offa's Dyke may be my favourite still. There's so much variety along the route.  I'm planning to return in April to do Knighton to Chepstow.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #7 on: 15:41:43, 06/02/19 »
I did Offa's from Knighton to Prestatyn a couple of years ago, kind of on a whim.  I had a week of work and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I bought the Trailblazer guide and off I went.  I absolutely loved it and caught the long distance walking bug. 

The first day was Knighton to Mellington over the switchbacks which was tough going and something of a baptism of fire for walking with a heavy pack (something I'd never really done before for more than 3-4 miles for overnight wild camping), but I got stronger and fitter, day on day.  When I got to Prestatyn I was full of beans and would have happily walked all the way back again.  Sadly i had to return to work though.
Since then I've done other National Trails but Offa's Dyke may be my favourite still. There's so much variety along the route.  I'm planning to return in April to do Knighton to Chepstow.
We did it the other way around, from Prestatyn to Knighton. The last day (to Knighton) was indeed a tough one, hard on the knees. But I agree, lots of variety and a wonderful mix of nature and culture.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #8 on: 08:51:13, 16/02/19 »
The beautiful Clwydian Range, with Moel Famau and the Jubilee Tower in the back

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:48:22, 18/02/19 »
New Dog and I will be doing most of this in May. I hope the weather is like that in the pics.  8)

FTSTTLB

« Reply #10 on: 09:14:10, 18/02/19 »
New Dog and I will be doing most of this in May. I hope the weather is like that in the pics.  8)
Yes, it was quite windy (as usual, I think) but apart from that lovely hiking weather. I've been to Wales 8 times and I mostly had dry or even sunny weather. Luck, I guess.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy