Author Topic: Alcohol Stove for a quick cuppa  (Read 2617 times)

GoneWest

Re: Alcohol Stove for a quick cuppa
« Reply #45 on: 16:22:28, 21/02/21 »
A gel burner is basically a empty tin, look at the Trangia one, no need to buy one.
Thanks, Peak. I'll commandeer an old tin, then buy some gel. It looks expensive, compared with hexamine tablets, but I haven't done the sums properly yet. In any case, I don't care that much if it's just for the odd cup of tea!

Peak

« Reply #46 on: 16:49:22, 21/02/21 »
I've used gel a few times and not that impressed to be honest, Apart from bioethanol I would usually carry 6 solid fuel tabs for backup, the Cohglan ones are decent and usually cheapest at Ultimate Outdoors. Hope this helps

Booga

« Reply #47 on: 18:26:28, 21/02/21 »
I've used a stove to the design in this video for a few years now, this and a 600ml titanium mug are what I use for boiling all my water for tea/coffee and rehydrating food. I wouldn't trust it in strong winds although I have used it with a windshield with success. Most of my overnights involve bothies which while they are not 100% windproof they at least offer some shelter for a little stove like this. The nice thing about these is they cost nothing to make if you want to try one out and see if they work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvwgSaTcy5c

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 20:01:36, 21/02/21 »
Thanks, Peak. I'll commandeer an old tin, then buy some gel. It looks expensive, compared with hexamine tablets, but I haven't done the sums properly yet. In any case, I don't care that much if it's just for the odd cup of tea!

I've used an old Nikwax tin for burning Hexamine - no reason why it wouldn't be suitable for gel.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Peak

« Reply #49 on: 21:11:35, 21/02/21 »
RichardH, 
My point exactly, any old tin will do. I must admit though that I have the Speedster Titanium solid fuel burner that comes flat and you bend to shape, there's just something about it that pleases me. Together with the heavy duty pot stand...........you've heard it all before.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 12:12:57, 22/02/21 »

The tight sealing lid is what made me decide to buy the speedster burner, as my home made one, as well as being as bit large for a 100mm diameter mug, has a lid that does not seal.

Thought about a spoon but no good for noodles! And I didn't realise that a ferro rod could be used with meths - will give it a try.

Oh yes, the fork/spoon combo seems best.  What are these called - foons? Don't think anyone can say that with a straight face ;D   Think you'll be happy with the speedster burner, there is a real simplicity to it - I'd just recommend using a fuel bottle with markings if possible. 

As to ferro rod use, this video showcases it pretty well (first 1-2 minutes) - https://youtu.be/wqrCwIYbCa8?t=35     .  To me, it's ridiculously simple, no faff at all - think he manages to light six stoves in as many seconds.  Something nice about having a lighter which is never going to run out, and you don't get that burning your fingers feeling when you in slight wind and have the flame blow back.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 12:16:05, 22/02/21 »
Does no-one use a Kelly Kettle?

I don't: I have a Trangia set, but I've thought about getting one in the past.

Nope.  I've seriously thought about it for the idea of getting together a few fallen twigs to make a brew, but the fact is that because of the size of the stove there is a really limited ability to burn larger pieces of wood.  The same as almost all wood burning ultra light stoves, it's an awesome idea but you end up constantly needing to feed twigs to it.  In reality you're better looking at a proper fire (responsibly) and setting up a pot with a bail because you just put the lid on and get on with it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 12:43:09, 22/02/21 »
@GWM

If you want to try out a meths stove quickly, just cut off the bottom 20mm from an energy drink can (54mm diameter), stuff in a tuft of mineral wool, pour on some meths (not too much), and get a brew on! I've done just that - took less than 10 minutes from start to finish (and another 9 minutes to boil 300ml of water).

Edit - the mineral wool is absolutely essential, otherwise you will have a spreading pool of flaming meths to deal with if you knock the thing over - accidents do happen.
« Last Edit: 13:01:31, 22/02/21 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 18:28:30, 29/03/21 »
With the arrival of my titanium spork from China, my lightweight cookset is now complete.
More details on my blog - https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/ultimate-lightweight-cookset/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy