Author Topic: Alcohol Stove for a quick cuppa  (Read 2647 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Alcohol Stove for a quick cuppa
« Reply #15 on: 10:41:16, 18/02/21 »
After using my Primus multifuel stove, one thing that I really appreciate about an alcohol stove is the fact that they are totally silent - the Primus, which roars like a miniature jet engine, shatters the peace of a wild camp.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Peak

« Reply #16 on: 11:05:14, 18/02/21 »
I too like the quietness of a alcohol stove compared to my Primus Spider & Pocket Rocket. The main reason I decided to go to alcohol & solid fuel was to save some weight in my pack, although Covid came along and ruined my plans for last spring. I've spent a lot of time looking at other ways to lighten things and I am now rearing to go. Just need to lighten the body now.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:22:13, 18/02/21 »
Just need to lighten the body now.

Me too!  :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:24:30, 20/02/21 »
My experiments with a home made meths stove have persuaded me to part with the princely sum of £3.80 (+P&P) for a small meths burner from Speedster Stoves, for use with my home made beer can windshield/pot stand and the Lixada titanium mug that I purchased recently. Have also ordered some stubby 50ml plastic bottles for storing the meths - two of these, the burner, windshield, folding spork, lighter etc will fit nicely inside the 650ml mug - just the job for a one night camp.

https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/30ml-spill-proof-meths/alcohol-burner.html

Plastic Bottles HDPE +Lid 50ml 100ml 250ml 500ml 1 Litre , 2.5 Litre & 5 Litre | eBay

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:20:26, 20/02/21 »
I'm a complete novice when it comes to cooking or heating water en-route, but I think I should seriously look into it this year just in case little is open, like pubs and so on. So I'm going to spend a lot of my time reading the contributions made about this subject area. That £3.80 stove looks good to me and I know already that I have some 50ml plastic bottles in my garage somewhere. I've already read about making a windshield from an aluminum plate, two or three of those in my garage as well.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:01:12, 20/02/21 »
I'm a complete novice when it comes to cooking or heating water en-route, but I think I should seriously look into it this year just in case little is open, like pubs and so on. So I'm going to spend a lot of my time reading the contributions made about this subject area. That £3.80 stove looks good to me and I know already that I have some 50ml plastic bottles in my garage somewhere. I've already read about making a windshield from an aluminum plate, two or three of those in my garage as well.
[/quote
Take a look at Hiram Cook on Ytube. He makes different alcohol stoves, compares types and  tests them.
It's all uphill from here.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:50:48, 20/02/21 »
My experiments with a home made meths stove have persuaded me to part with the princely sum of £3.80 (+P&P) for a small meths burner from Speedster Stoves, for use with my home made beer can windshield/pot stand and the Lixada titanium mug that I purchased recently. Have also ordered some stubby 50ml plastic bottles for storing the meths - two of these, the burner, windshield, folding spork, lighter etc will fit nicely inside the 650ml mug - just the job for a one night camp.

https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/30ml-spill-proof-meths/alcohol-burner.html

Plastic Bottles HDPE +Lid 50ml 100ml 250ml 500ml 1 Litre , 2.5 Litre & 5 Litre | eBay

Sounds a lot like my setup, ultra compact, super easy to heat up some water and minimal weight.   Good thing about the Speedster stove is 1) cheap as chips and 2) you can put the lid on and keep any unused alcohol without the faff of pouring it back into bottles.  Only difference is I tend to go for a long handled spoon and a ferro rod instead of a lighter.

Really been possible to reduce pack size a lot lately and for a one night camp I've found myself in the sub 40L range for a pack quite comfortably, despite keeping some extra insulation handy, and this lets you take 4-5 day trips much more comfortably with less wear and tear - at least that's the idea.

Peak

« Reply #22 on: 15:57:16, 20/02/21 »
RichardH,
Sure you'll enjoy the Speedster stove, I have the 30m, 50m and the simmer ring, simple but good pieces of kit. If you like it I would recommend the windshield/pot stand they do, holds your pot at the optimum height from the flame.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:18:31, 20/02/21 »
RichardH,
Sure you'll enjoy the Speedster stove, I have the 30m, 50m and the simmer ring, simple but good pieces of kit. If you like it I would recommend the windshield/pot stand they do, holds your pot at the optimum height from the flame.

Thanks. What I like about the Speedster stoves is their sheer simplicity, just an aluminium pot with some mineral wool or whatever in to prevent spillage. No priming either.

I have noted that the Speedster windshield/potstands support the pot at a height of 45mm - as does my beer can windshield/pot stand, by a strange coincidence  :D . My beer can version rolls up and fits inside my mug too. 8)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:43:48, 20/02/21 »
The smell of meths is awful, it makes me want to puke. Gas stoves for me.
Hate will never win

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:06:42, 20/02/21 »
The smell of meths is awful, it makes me want to puke. Gas stoves for me.

I use alcohol fron BnQ, no smell, burns clean
It's all uphill from here.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:24:08, 20/02/21 »
Bio ethanol also works, April.

Peak

« Reply #27 on: 00:10:25, 21/02/21 »
Bioethanol for me too, seems to leave less blackening on pots.I can usually find it a lot cheaper than the Meths in Wilko's.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:57:02, 21/02/21 »
Gas I would probably choose for a longer trip, and if I wanted to do more than just boil water, but alcohol surely wins hands down for simplicity and lightness on a short outing. I have tried hexmine but I find the fumes rather acrid, and it certainly isn't cheap!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:20:33, 21/02/21 »
You've now captured my attention and as you make it sound simple enough even for me I might buy the suggested items? So as a complete novice what item(s) would I need? There seems to be a 30 and a 50 model (a 10p difference) is the bigger item worth the 10p extra?

I've looked around in my garage, I've two aluminium pots bought by me from Y-E-A-R-S ago and never used them, one slides inside the other. I also have a tiny gas cooker plus two small canisters, also never used. They all fit inside the pots for storage and to carry.

I'm just working on the assumption that when I get the first chance to hike and assuming its the Pennine Way I'm going to make assume that pubs and so on might still be closed?  I further assume that I will wild camp more, so having a cup of coffee would be the least difficult hot drink that I would aim for. I will continue to make full use of shops en route, and my hip flask will be filled with my favourite tipple.

If my assumptions prove correct I'm looking for the most basic option to make myself a hot drink and I've just realised I don't have anything (other than my aluminium pots) to heat water. Would it be worth me ordering a pot/cup that would be useful to me and if so what would I order, and should I order something with a lid?

Any advice, guidance and purchasing suggestions would be much appreciated.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy