Author Topic: [Trip Report] Crook hill, Alport Castles and Win Hill from Yorkshire Bridge  (Read 4068 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Today myself, radder and Cogstar undertook a 14 mile walk that took us over Crook Hill to Alport Castles then back to Win Hill. Whilst at Alport Castles we felt obliged to scramble to the top of the Tower (something that radder and myself have done before but first time for Cogstar). The walk to Win Hill was a nice steady climb although we left the main path and went straight up the 'rocky ridge' to reach the summit. The descent from Win Hill was very steep with Cogstar ending up on his backside at one point (yellow card! ;D) but we were rewarded with a good pint at the Yorkshire Bridge pub once at the bottom. Took us just under six hours in all.

Near the start, view of Crook Hill behind the reservoir.

Crook Hill farm and the top of Crook Hill.

Looking back at Crook Hill with a moody looking Win Hill behind.

Looking across to the Edale valley.

Looking up the Snake Pass and Kinder's northern edge.

Alport Castles.

radder on top of a rock on the Tower.

The Tower, we scrambled up to the very top.

Heading for Win Hill.

Looking across to the Castleton Ridge.

The gentle ascent up to the summit of Win Hill.

Win Hill's rocky summit.

From Win Hill's summit looking across to the Castleton Ridge with Kinder behind.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

radder

• Veteran Member
Just a few of my pics from todays excellent walk in the Peak district..

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Looks like a good day and some great pictures.

I've not had much luck lately, too hot a few weeks ago and the past few Saturdays have been wet.

The next two weekends will be ideal walking weather no doubt as I'm off to Leeds next weekend and on call the week after!

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Don't worry Dazza, the forecast is rain for the next two weeks!Good old British summertime ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
I think the met office ruined it. They said it was going to be a barbeque summer, and what's the first thing that happens when you plan an barbeque?

Exactly  :)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

radder

• Veteran Member
Leeds are you referring to the festival then Dazza ??

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Sadly not.  A training course. On Linux.  No doubt thrilling.

Still Leeds is nice enough aparently. Has some impressive buildings and whilst I'm not any kind of expert I do like good buildings in a place.

One of my fave views of Nottingham is one I see each day (not my picture). Sometimes I think about taking a good shot of it myself. A good environment even in a town or city can be relaxing as well. Unfortunately like many towns Nottinghams Architectural glories rarely reach ground level.
Dazza
--------

kev1747

Well done for going to the top of the tower.  O0

I'm far too chicken. In fact I thought the sheep were a bit mad for being up there the last time I went.  :o
« Last Edit: 23:12:19, 15/07/09 by kev1747 »

radder

• Veteran Member
Hi Kev, the ascent of the tower is quite easy ( looks harder than it is) plus avoid climbing the rock stack to the right of the tower, once you are up there you will have a job getting back down again, as pillock here will tell you :-[, If it wasn't for peakbagger and cogstar I would have been there all night   ;D

kev1747

Thanks for the info radder but I think I'll leave the climbing to braver people like you. I even had trouble trying to climb over chrome hill which I have seen other people do with ease on photos.  ::)

Its a good job I don't do any walking in the lakes or I would need rescuing every week.  Striding edge makes me go wobbly just watching Julia whatsit  going over it on TV. :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy