Author Topic: Chinley Churn & South Head 9th September  (Read 3023 times)

BatFink

Chinley Churn & South Head 9th September
« on: 20:50:52, 09/09/09 »
I decided to do a local walk today and make the most of what’s on my door step. After much deliberation I chose to follow walk 2534 from the Walking Britain web site. Follow this link for the details http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_a/2534/.

The walk starts along a reasonable track but the dry stone walls to either side limit your views! You’re soon past this section of the walk and the view of Cracken Edge appears to your left. As you get higher there are some excellent views across the landscape. Walking down to Peep-O-Day the road noise builds up but is soon behind you as you head for the Pennine Bridleway and South Head. South Head is the highlight of the walk and it is well worth the effort to walk to the summit for the superb views.

From South Head the route mainly follows tracks back to Chipley, but does throw up some surprises such as the inscriptions in the window lintels of Beet Farm barn.

Overall a very enjoyable walk, not too long and with some fantasist views. The only draw-back, there is no pub in Chinley for that well earned after walk pint.

Cracken Edge

Looking back down the track from Chinley

View from Chinley Churn

The old quarry

Track down to Peep-O-Day

South Head

A view from South Head

Another view from South Head

Lintel inscription at Beet Farm barn

Looking back from Hull End

Yomper

• Account Closed
Re: Chinley Churn & South Head 9th September
« Reply #1 on: 02:22:04, 10/09/09 »
Nice photo's Batfink  ;)

Shame about the pub  :(

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:45:15, 10/09/09 »
Nice day, nice pictures and nice walk. Like Yomper says - shame about the refreshments.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:28:11, 10/09/09 »
Lovely clear photos B.F.

I love my County!
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy