Author Topic: Best Hikes from Fort William  (Read 2160 times)

Alhep

Best Hikes from Fort William
« on: 11:13:23, 01/03/19 »
Hi everyone,

New to the forum/ hiking in general and i'm looking for a bit of advice.

Me and the mrs have recently caught the walking bug and are camping in Glen Nevis over the May bank holiday and are planning on tackling Ben Nevis (mainly to complete the 3 peaks having done Scafell and Snowdon over the last few weeks).

We are staying over for 5 days so will be looking to possibly squeeze in at least 1 more hike while we are there and was looking for any recommendations of any other peaks to tackle, preferably with some fairly easy scrambling involved to liven things up a bit

As a bit of background to our abilities, we are both reasonably fit in our mid to late 30s, however neither of us are particularly good with heights (the mrs especially) so anything on the scale of Crib Goch for example would have to be ruled out. We managed to both scramble down the waterfall at Gordale Scar on a recent Malham walk and up and down the side of  Scafell Pike from Broad Crag in the snow so we aren't averse to some challenges thrown in, but just within reason.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Al

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Best Hikes from Fort William
« Reply #1 on: 11:35:00, 01/03/19 »
You could go up the glen to the end of the road, park there. Then walk through the Steal gorge. Once through you can turn right, cross the river by the rope bridge and climb the mamores. There's a big horseshoe of peaks that you can follow the main top is Am Bodach 1032m. Another possibility is instead of crossing the river you can carry on for a bit longer down the valley. On your left is the Aonachs and the Grey Corrie's. Essential a line of hills about 15 miles long, their easy from the south the side you'll be looking at but steep and craigy from the north.

Alhep

« Reply #2 on: 12:17:11, 01/03/19 »
Cheers Owen,

I just had at some of the pictures online and the scenery looks amazing and it sound like a decent challenge too. I would imagine it's not too hard to find good hikes round there. Can't bloody wait!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:35:33, 02/03/19 »
If you are not so good with heights, then you may not like the wire bridge at Steall - it is a bit intimidating. The Nevis Gorge and the Steall Falls are well worth a look though, very grand country.

We camped at the Glen Nevis site for 4 nights last year and were tempted by the westernmost Mamores, but were too knackered the day after Ben Nevis!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/stobban.shtml

You could throw in Sgurr a Mhaim too, but there is a scrambly ridge linking it to the main Mamores ridge (scrambly bits avoidable, I believe). Sgurr a Mhaim is visible from the campsite, and has a striking band of quartzite cutting across it's upper slopes.

Glen Nevis campsite last August, with Sgurr a Mhaim in the background. Ben Nevis hidden in cloud top left.

ps - welcome to the forum  :)
« Last Edit: 07:41:06, 02/03/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:05:18, 03/03/19 »

My family, dog and I climbed Ben Nevis last August by the tourist route. It's a bit of a plod, to be honest, the bottom half a giant stone staircase, and mobbed with people. Trip report HERE

If I were climbing Ben Nevis on my own, I would take a more roundabout route:

There's a bus service up Glen Nevis to the lower falls - catch this (or enjoy an early morning walk up the Glen) and then walk up the Nevis Gorge to the ruins of Steall, marked on the OS 1:25000 map. From here ascend the wild valley to the north (Allt Coire Giubhsachan) and eventually emerge onto the col between Aonach Mor and Carn Mor Dearg. Climb Carn Mor Dearg by it's eastern ridge and then head south along the arete to Ben Nevis. Return via the tourist path and enjoy a well earned pint and a meal on the terrace of the Ben Nevis Inn before the short walk back to the campsite.

Alhep

« Reply #5 on: 11:12:16, 04/03/19 »
Cheers for the tips Richard.

I'm not too bothered about heights myself within reason, but i have a feeling the Mrs might not be too keen on the rope Bridge having read a few reviews on Trip Advisor. I keep surprising her with the odd tricky scramble here and there and to be fair she does do it because she loves the adrenaline rush but not with out significant effing at jeffing at me beforehand!!

I've heard from a few sources that the tourist path is a bit of a long slog but having had a look at the CMD route pics i can't see her wanting to do that unfortunately. She does spend all night watching youtube vids of Striding Edge and Crib Goch so i think the attraction to doing them is there it's just i think she needs to be eased in gently.I really don't want to be calling out Mountain Rescue.  I think i might look into that Sgurr a Maimm but not mention that there is a section called Devils Ridge until we are at least halfway across it!!!

P.S No sure if that's yourS, but funnily enough we have the exact same Coleman Tent as in the picture. Cracking bit of kit!!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:08:10, 04/03/19 »

It is our tent - the 'Mosedale Whale' as we call it.

My wife likes it, but I'm not a fan, to be honest. I had to shorten the poles with a hacksaw as they were far too tight as supplied. And I've had to replace a cracked pole (Durness was windy). But not bad for the money, and it's nice to have a big midge free room to hole up in.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy