Author Topic: Mosedale Horseshoe to complete Wainwright's  (Read 1584 times)

LMac27

Mosedale Horseshoe to complete Wainwright's
« on: 20:56:31, 09/09/17 »
Evening all,

I just have the mighty Pillar left to complete my 1st round and will be undertaking the Mosedale Horseshoe to achieve this ( omitting Kirk Fell and Yewbarrow). The route in mind is over beck to Red Pike over to Pillar and down Black Sail Pass to Wasdale. Is there a recommended or preferable direction to complete this route ?

I'm thinking clockwise as I don't want to hit my target too soon.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks  :)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
Re: Mosedale Horseshoe to complete Wainwright's
« Reply #1 on: 19:56:46, 10/09/17 »
Either way is good, I can't remember anything that would put one above the other; unless you would consider the route to Pillar which traverses to Robinson's Cairn and Pillar Rock. To reach those as part of a circuit you would be going anticlockwise
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:06:08, 12/09/17 »
Two possible variables to weigh up on the day are wind direction and strength, and low evening sun in your eyes.

Also as Dave says you might want to incorporate the so-called 'high level route' to Pillar's summit. This runs along the north side of the mountain through Green Cove and Hind Cove then up to Pillar Rock and thence to the summit. It's a magnificent walk which includes a bit of scrambling. IMO it's better for ascent than descent and that means doing the round anti-clockwise.
Skip

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:55:25, 12/09/17 »
Good reasons to do it anticlockwise but I'd still do it clockwise - simply so that the last hill of the day is your last Wainwright. You'll be back to the pub to celebrate that much quicker.  O0

LMac27

« Reply #4 on: 18:37:20, 13/09/17 »
Thank you all for replying

With me on the day will be some fell.walking novices who I don't think would thank me for taking then along the high level traverse.  I will save that for when I'm on my own or with someone used to that sort of thing. I am definitely looking forward to doing the traverse though looks really good.

Does anyone know what the path is like along Overbeck, not the one at floor level but the one whish traverses the flanks of Yewbarrow ? I heard the ground level one might be a bit wet underfoot?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:53, 13/09/17 »
Does anyone know what the path is like along Overbeck, not the one at floor level but the one whish traverses the flanks of Yewbarrow ? I heard the ground level one might be a bit wet underfoot?

The traversing path is boggy and wet in places but not enough to spoil things. It is a steep start from Overbeck Bridge. I've never been on the ground level path before so I cant give you any comparison. I hope you get some decent weather for your last AW  O0
Hate will never win

LMac27

« Reply #6 on: 22:47:51, 13/09/17 »
Ok Thanks April

LMac27

« Reply #7 on: 18:24:42, 16/10/17 »
The traversing path is boggy and wet in places but not enough to spoil things. It is a steep start from Overbeck Bridge. I've never been on the ground level path before so I cant give you any comparison. I hope you get some decent weather for your last AW  O0

Completed my 214 wainwright last Saturday ( Pillar ). Went through overbeck up to Dore Head, onto Red Pike then Pillar and down Black Sail Pass, but I could have been anywhere ! Did not see a single view all day except when I dropped back down into Mosedale and still then it was very limited by very low cloud.

Made navigation a very difficult proposition. It never fails to amaze and unnerve me how different places seem when you in the clag. You think you know somewhere until you cant see further than 20ft in front of you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy