Author Topic: Spelga Circuit  (Read 1584 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Spelga Circuit
« on: 20:59:44, 14/08/16 »
With the eastern Mournes being over-crowded with a 300+ strong crowd of walkers completing the Mourne 7'7's challenge yesterday, I decided to walk lower mountains in the western Mournes. It has been a long time since I last walked the mountains north of Spelga reservoir. Being a firm admirer of circular routes, I started from Ott car park and ascended Butter mountain. After making the short detour to admire the Spelga dam panorama, I headed westwards towards Spaltha. The terrain became marshy underfoot. After a short break to admire the green fields beyond Hilltown, I headed towards Spelga mountain which was the highlight of the walk. Spelga presents a great aerial view of Hen and Rocky mountain. After lunch, I descended to a river before ascending Slievenamuck at the head of the Spelga Skyline. Views opened up towards Eagle mountain, Shanlieve and Pigeon. I returned to the car park taking an off-the beaten track route around the side of Butter mountain. Total distance was approximately 6km taking around 2 hours.

Carn, Muck and Pigeon from ascent of Butter mountain:

Spelga reservoir from Butter mountain:

View of Ott and Slieveloughshannagh:

View towards Slieve Croob:

Spelga reservoir from near Spaltha mountain:

Heading from Spaltha to Spelga mountain:

View of Hen mountain from Spaltha:

The aerial view from Spelga mountain:

The western Mournes from Spelga:

View westwards from Spelga:

Hen and Rocky mountain from Spelga:

Hen and Rocky mountain from Spelga: