Author Topic: A wild walk at Yesnaby, Orkney - 14 Sept 2019  (Read 3710 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
A wild walk at Yesnaby, Orkney - 14 Sept 2019
« on: 11:13:30, 15/09/19 »
Going a bit stir crazy so went out for a walk with the dog, despite the atrocious weather. Drove over to the Yesnaby cliffs on the west coast of Mainland Orkney, and was pleased to find that the weather was slightly better; tolerable, at least. One or two people about, but I soon left them behind as I headed south. The seas were up quite a bit, and the wind maybe about Force 7, strong enough to impede progress, as they say in the mountain forecasts, and I was heading into it, but at least the rain had stopped.

The Brough of Bigging headland at Yesnaby, the Old Man of Hoy just visible in the distance

South of the prominent headland, the cliffs turned a corner and I encountered the first of many 'anti gravity' waterfalls, the water being whipped up the cliffs by the strong winds, a drenching plume of spray to negotiate. Flecks of white spume filled the air at times, much to the excitement of Tess, our spaniel.

Passed a sea stack in the making, a leaning tower of rock supported by a single stone block - I wonder how many people have dared to climb across it? Certainly not me, especially in this gusty wind.

Shortly afterwards there is another sea stack, the Castle of Yesnaby,  not long for this world as it is top heavy, and the base has been perforated!

The Castle of Yesnaby

From the side it looks even more precarious

The cliffs gain in height after this, and I continued southwards along a grassy waterlogged path. Had to negotiate another waterfall flowing uphill, and then another; the plume of spray from this one blowing directly down the path as I approached, so I got a prolonged battering. Even Tess didn't like it, but the tail soon started wagging again once we were through.

Anti gravity waterfall, one of many

Southwards we continued, passing yet another precarious sea stack being battered by the relentless sea, and then I got a bit of a fright when I was buffeted by a particularly strong gust of wind as the path crosses a sloping shaley ledge above the cliffs.

The Castle of North Gaulton

Goodness knows how this thin blade of rock survives!

We continued onwards until we rounded a corner and saw the coastline ahead. I had intended continuing on to Black Craig, a prominent headland a mile or so to the south, but the wind had picked up and the weather was closing in again - the walk was turning into a bit of a battle, and at times I could barely stand up. Also, I'm not afraid to admit that my experience on the ledge had rattled me a bit.

The views were spectacular though, storm ravaged cliffs with Hoy as a backdrop, and a larger burn was being savaged by the wind ahead - quite a plume of spray being driven inland. Definitely time to turn back.

Storm wracked shores, Black Craig ahead, Hoy in the background

The mother of all water plumes - a good place to turn back. I could barely stand up when I took this shot.

Anxious about the ledge, I traversed up the gentle grassy slopes and passed safely behind it - better safe than sorry, the wind picking up all the while.

The walk back turned into a bit of a battle, the horizontal waterfalls that were interesting novelties on the way out were now menacing water cannons hurling spray at me as I retreated, at times the noise of the water striking my hood was quite deafening. Really struggling to stay upright in places - I was shamelessly using the dog as an anchor on the upwind side, Tess less than impressed!

I took a short video with my phone just to give you a flavour of what conditions were like - https://youtu.be/G9ELkz04yss

One last water cannon to negotiate, and then around a corner into a bit of shelter by a small bay.

Last one, I promise, Tess!

Another short video showing what conditions were like - https://youtu.be/tfRQ7KjusLE

Quite a relief to get back to the car. A short 5 mile walk that felt much longer - but it is good to get out in foul conditions from time to time -  makes me feel more alive, somehow!
« Last Edit: 23:18:52, 15/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: A wild walk at Yesnaby, Orkney
« Reply #1 on: 11:39:42, 15/09/19 »
First TR of yours I've read Richard I think, great story.

Wow That wind! I have mixed feelings about the wind, it scares me when I'm close to the edge of something but at the same time I find it exhilarating, close to edges or not.

Makes me feel alive too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: A wild walk at Yesnaby, Orkney
« Reply #2 on: 11:41:47, 15/09/19 »
Thanks Rob!

Trying to decide where to take the dog today - still Force 7 ish but dry at least.
« Last Edit: 12:16:45, 15/09/19 by richardh1905 »

Warbler

Re: A wild walk at Yesnaby, Orkney - 14 Sept 2019
« Reply #3 on: 12:29:13, 15/09/19 »
Wow, that looked an interesting walk. I think there can sometimes be a fine line between exhilaration and a feeling of danger though. Good that you could steady yourself to take such good photos  O0

Astonishing how some of those sea stacks are still upright. They look like they could topple any day now.

Meanwhile, I was in the South Downs yesterday, in blazing heat and no breezes to speak of. Truly a nation of contrasts we live in.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:53:07, 15/09/19 »
That looks fab, despite the conditions! I adore coastal walking, so I really enjoyed your photos. Thanks Richard. O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:25:04, 15/09/19 »
Thanks for the compliment, Warbler - the photo were just taken with my phone (Samsung Galaxy J5) and I did resort to a little photo editing - especially to straighten wonky horizons!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:27:23, 15/09/19 »
That looks fab, despite the conditions! I adore coastal walking, so I really enjoyed your photos. Thanks Richard. O0

Thanks Sunnydale - plenty of coastal walking here in Orkney! You sometimes have to really tough it out with the weather though.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:41:49, 15/09/19 »
Fantastic photos! Love the stacks!!  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:20:12, 15/09/19 »
Fantastic photos! Love the stacks!!  O0

Thanks Dave - somewhat different to Kent, I suspect! Although I'm sure that Kent has it's own merits.
« Last Edit: 18:24:47, 15/09/19 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:22:39, 15/09/19 »
Been out for a stroll on a couple of beaches today - no TR, but we did find a creel washed up on the shore by last night's gale, with these beauties inside!
My son and I are dining well tonight - lobster with pasta, washed down with home made Raspberry wine :smiley6600:

Edit - they were absolutely delicious!
« Last Edit: 20:48:20, 15/09/19 by richardh1905 »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:37:53, 15/09/19 »

Thanks Dave - somewhat different to Kent, I suspect! Although I'm sure that Kent has it's own merits.

Very different - our sea stacks tend to be made of chalk (and we have some nice arches too!).  ;)

We do manage to get further afield than Kent though. This is us in the wind and rain at Soldier's Rock on the Oa Peninsula on Islay last year. That's my wife and my boots.  :)

Sadly, the rock didn't come out quite as well as we did but it really was incredibly impressive and well worth the soggy hike!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:30:35, 15/09/19 »
Stunning photos Richard.  Those sea stacks are amazing.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:17:06, 15/09/19 »
Upward flowing waterfalls and sea stacks are impressive. That was a boon finding the lobsters. I haven’t had them as fresh as you found, but have had a good few langoustines on the west coast direct from the creel fishermen. I imagine the lobsters are equally as good.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:40:42, 16/09/19 »
Stunning photos Richard.  Those sea stacks are amazing.

Upward flowing waterfalls and sea stacks are impressive

Thanks, Dovegirl, Mike - yes, the sea stacks seem to defy gravity every bit as much as the waterfalls!

And yes, the lobsters were superb.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:58:52, 16/09/19 »
An exhausting read! I love wild weather on the coast.

BTW how is 'brough' pronounced?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy