Author Topic: Is there any wild camping allowed where you are?  (Read 952 times)

Cait

The Beloved has just found out that the Cairngorms is off limits. He wanted to go up there again with a bivi and our son for some hiking and 'being at one with nature' n'all that. But no, not this year, at least.
So he's feeling rather glum. Are there any other beautiful spots you can lose yourself for a couple of days, where they're being slightly less draconian?
'Course, they'll take the ban off in 3 weeks or so, then we won't be able to afford the train and it' ll be too late.
So any ideas are very much appreciated, and I apologise for invading your conversations!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Is there any wild camping allowed where you are?
« Reply #1 on: 19:31:09, 12/07/20 »
Hi Cait - welcome to the forum. :)

Where did your Beloved find out that the Cairngorms was off limits?

As I understood it, wild camping is to be allowed in Scotland on 15th July.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Cait

« Reply #2 on: 20:07:23, 12/07/20 »
The Cairngorms National Park website. I've just mailed them to confirm the 15th July onward is ok, having found that date elsewhere.

... here's hoping. I can see why they'd be nervous though. If you became ill whilst off in the wilds, it puts you at risk *and* your rescuers.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:17:48, 12/07/20 »
The Cairngorms National Park website. I've just mailed them to confirm the 15th July onward is ok, having found that date elsewhere.

... here's hoping. I can see why they'd be nervous though. If you became ill whilst off in the wilds, it puts you at risk *and* your rescuers.

Indeed. That is a discussion that has been had with Mountain Rescue here in the Lake District. But infection rates across the UK are well down on what they were a couple of months ago, so the risk is correspondingly less.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy