Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28966 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #105 on: 19:49:58, 08/11/18 »
Yes it’s very sad and disappointing news that the zip wire has been approved at Honister. Pressure from these people has finally prevailed.

We can only hope these developments are contained within this small area of the Lakes and demand for such thrills is limited. Apart from terrible access through Borrowdale and Buttermere, I guess it’s in a better location than Thirlmere, but like many have said, with this go ahead, where will it all end?  :'(    
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 19:54:41, 08/11/18 »
a glimmer of hope perhaps?

I hope so too Glyn. I saw the Zip Off post on fb yesterday and it is good to see this has developed from it, thank you for posting it here  :)

In my red mist yesterday I fired off an email expressing my dismay to the LDNPA

My red mist is still too thick and isn't leaving me yet. I've not had much sleep the last few days, my mind has been on this since Sunday night. When I calm down and can think straight after some sleep I am going to start writing to people. Leafe has to be stopped along with the people on the committee who approved this. To undermine the planning team like this is abominable.

Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 23:02:31, 08/11/18 »
I hope the Zip Off folk have something in terms of improper process but I fear they may be disappointed.  It may not make any difference anyway; put it like this, had the zip wire been there already, would the Lakes not have been granted World Heritage Site status?
I sympathise with your anger concerning the committee overriding the Planning Officer's recommendation but as I said - it can happen.  If decisions always went with the recommendation, there would be no point in having a Planning Committee.  I accept right now you may think that would be a good idea but supposing the Officer had recommended approval and the Committee had rejected it, you might think differently.  I just wish Planning Committees came from the sharper end of the cutlery drawer and had a bit more bottle to stand up to the government and big business.
Solvitur Ambulando

photonut

« Reply #108 on: 08:37:50, 09/11/18 »
a glimmer of hope perhaps?

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/news/doubts-surface-regarding-new-zip-wire-scheme-does-honister-planning-contravene-unesco-world-heritage/

I do like the last line:

“We shall talk to the other objectors about what action we might take. We do not consider this battle yet to be over.”

Good!!!!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 08:53:03, 09/11/18 »
I sympathise with your anger concerning the committee overriding the Planning Officer's recommendation but as I said - it can happen.  If decisions always went with the recommendation, there would be no point in having a Planning Committee.  I accept right now you may think that would be a good idea but supposing the Officer had recommended approval and the Committee had rejected it, you might think differently. 

In terms of writing letters I am thinking of the bigger picture in the Lake District and the current CEO and his rather fanciful plans and ideas for the LD. It isn't just Honister, it is the cable car plan, driverless pods on footpaths etc. The man seems to be losing the plot a bit. There are a lot of people who are not happy with the way things are going and we need to at least try to do something about it before it is too late.

I hope the Zip Off folk have something in terms of improper process but I fear they may be disappointed. 

I hope and fear the same as you.
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #110 on: 09:00:47, 09/11/18 »
... driverless pods on footpaths etc..

Oh you are joking!!  Where are these crazy ideas detailed April?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 10:32:02, 09/11/18 »
Solvitur Ambulando

Oldtramp

« Reply #112 on: 10:44:27, 09/11/18 »
I don't rate the driverless pod's chances too highly, except on one of those surfaced paths for the disabled.  Who'd probably better watch out for the bloody thing.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 13:39:59, 09/11/18 »
I’m not April but here is a starter for 10

Are you Jeremy Paxman?  :-\  ;)

If their justification for allowing this is that the area is (relatively) heavily industrialized - which, let's be honest, it is: I can only think of one other place in the lakes that has a comparable level of industry - then hopefully it doesn't set a precedent for places like Thirlmere.

As promised here is the list of mines that are still open*, places I thought were similar to Honister:

Burlington Stone, Elterwater - zip wire down the side of Lingmoor Fell anyone?
Broughton Moor Quarry near Coniston - zip wire from White Maiden anyone?
Kirkstone Stone (Pets Quarry) - zip wire from Red screes anyone?
*I'm not sure if Pets Quarry is fully open, it went into administration in 2012 and was bought by Burlington Stone

All owned by the same person. I'm not sure who owns the surrounding land in these areas so depending on who does, a zip wire plan might not even make the drawing board. But....

Interesting that Burlington Quarry in Elterwater are in support of the zip wire. How about a zip wire from Lingmoor Fell?

There are hundreds of disused mines all over the Lake District too, I have heard people talking about Tilberthwaite as the perfect place for a zip wire.

Still very angry  >:(
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 12:33:43, 10/11/18 »
I’ve paid to park up there once and have also bought food in the cafe. A good start would be for people against the zip wire to boycott Honister’s other facilities. Tomorrow’s service on Great Gable is probably a really busy day for them. Perhaps it needs to be less busy.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 08:54:29, 12/11/18 »
I’ve paid to park up there once and have also bought food in the cafe. A good start would be for people against the zip wire to boycott Honister’s other facilities.

We have too in the past. We haven't been in since they put the planning app in. We won't be going back in to the café again.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 14:16:00, 30/11/18 »
There is an article in The Guardian today, in which it is described as "nothing short of vandalism":
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/30/zip-wire-lake-district-honister-pass

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 14:25:02, 30/11/18 »
Same artcicles - I have only skim read but they seem to be saying what most on here have been saying all along.  Lets just hope this gets called in.  Fingers are crossed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy