Author Topic: PARAMO SECONDS EBAY SHOP  (Read 13968 times)

wobblyknees

PARAMO SECONDS EBAY SHOP
« on: 15:19:49, 01/06/15 »
My wife and I both wear Paramo Alta jackets and Cascada pants, all bought from above shop. None are waterproof.

I've long accepted that Paramo gear is not waterproof. In recent times, I've met a few Paramo wearers. I always ask is their gear waterproof. Without exception the answer was always yes. My next question was "Did they buy from above shop? Without exception the answer was always no. They had all bought from outdoor shops.

This makes me wonder is there something fundamentally different about the Paramo gear sold in this shop, apart from cosmetic defects or the garments having been previously worn. Paramo only guarantee gear from this shop for 12 months whereas I think they give a lifetime waterproof guarantee on gear sold in mainstream shops. Wonder why? Would love to hear from anybody who has bought from above shop and how their gear is performing.

I know how to treat waterproof clothing. There has not been any detergent used in our washing machine for over three years, possibly much longer. I've hand washed and machine washed but it makes no difference. I've followed Paramo's care instructions to the letter of the law. My only deviation from these instructions is that I now use a non-detergent, biodegradable liquid soap instead of the expensive Nikwax Tech Wash (it's basically the same thing) as the Tech Wash wasn't working.

Another question: Because I perspire so heavily I have to wash my gear nearly every week. Can too much washing wash out the reproofer?

Sorry if I am opening up the hoary old Paramo waterproof debate. I would really like to hear of peoples experience of gear bought from above shop.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: PARAMO SECONDS EBAY SHOP
« Reply #1 on: 16:01:14, 01/06/15 »
I have a Paramo smock which I washed in techwash then rewashed in TX direct, did the splash test with a sprayer and good as new.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:16:51, 01/06/15 »
I've bought from that shop and also from an outdoor shop and there has been no difference in quality recently I have been using sports pursuit and there is a big savings in price at moment about 60% so well worth a look
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:35:42, 01/06/15 »
My first Alta jacket was from Paramo ebay seconds store, and has been a fantastic piece of kit.

I would think that if you are washing it more regularly, the waterproofing will wear off faster and thus need replenishing more often. It shouldn't need doing everytime, but clearly if you are wearing it lots and washing weekly, you'll need to reproof more often than someone wearing it for a walking weekend once a fortnight and washing it a couple of times a year.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:46:25, 01/06/15 »
Also it depends what you mean by waterproof. Paramo isn't 100% waterproof. They can't say it is because the legal definition of 100% waterproof is that it will support a column of water of a certain height, and without a membrane it is impossible for Paramo to do this. However it will keep you dry in the rain. There is a subtle difference. My Paramo keeps me nice and dry. But if you sit down on wet soggy ground the water will come up through the trousers. It's the nature of the beast. Within 5 mins of getting up and walking though it has dried out.
If you are getting drenched while walking then clearly this is no good to you, but you do need to re-calibrate your expectations compared to traditional Goretex shells.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:47:33, 01/06/15 »
Not bought my Paramo gear from this shop and I do love a bargain but thought it was worth the bit extra to buy it with the full guarantee.
I have 2 Paramo water proof jackets the Pajaro and Aspira and they are waterproof but they wet out on the belly and chest area due to how much I perspire because it overwhelms the entire system but as Chrisj says they dry out more quickly than any other jacket I have owned. Are you sure the jacket has failed or is it your perspiration?

On a cold winters day with no rain I am what I call a warm wet on my torso around the belly, chest and arms due to the ascent through perspiring but as I progress through to the flatter sections and the descent I dry out. On my first Regtta jacket I could literally wring out my top because it was as breathable as shrink wrap, on my Gortex jacket it improved and I was less wet and its the same on the Paremos but they dry out much quicker as mentioned.

For anyone who perspires heavily it will overwhelm the jacket and In these conditions with hard heavy rain and stong wind it gives the impression the jacket has failed but its the perspiration not being able to escape. Ive stood in the shower in the past to prove this with my waterproof bottoms on and the shower head on all 3 spray patterns and I haven't got wet.

Its all about choosing clothing that handles my perspiration better such as tech T's which wick moisture away from the body and dry out quick like the jacket.

Try the shower test to see if the jacket is really a dud
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:26:51, 01/06/15 »
I have a Paramo Alta 2 and it has always kep me dry, so far! I bought from Go Camping and have washed it once. It still seems to work OK. Only problem is that it is rather warm in the summer months!

wobblyknees

« Reply #7 on: 21:40:03, 01/06/15 »
Thanks to all for replies. I had a lengthy post written responding to replies but when I tried to preview it, it disappeared. Not the first time this has happened to me on WalkingForum. I don't have the time or inclination to write it all out again

In brief response: I accept now that there is nothing fundamentally different about the Paramo gear sold in this shop.

Looks like I will have to reproof more often and wash (the clothing) less often.

did the splash test with a sprayer and good as new.
So is mine initially but it never lasts too long.

Are you sure the jacket has failed or is it your perspiration?
Looks like we could go head to head in the Perspiration Olympics. Bet I'd win gold. My friends joke that I don't go up the mountains for a walk but for a detox. They say that my jacket must be waterproof as no amount of rain trying to get in could compete with the amount of perspiration coming out.
I wear Paramo because it's the best clothing by far for wicking away my perspiration. All works fine on a dry day or a day of intermittent showers. In heavy continuous rain jackets and pants wet out. I don't sweat from my legs, especially my lower legs, so it is not perspiration that is wetting my pants but rain. On a recent walk the skin of my legs was chaffing from rubbing against wet material.

For anyone who perspires heavily it will overwhelm the jacket and In these conditions with hard heavy rain and stong wind it gives the impression the jacket has failed but its the perspiration not being able to escape.
Don't Paramo say that if jacket is fully proofed and not wetting out (from rain) it should wick away as normal?

Its all about choosing clothing that handles my perspiration better such as tech T's which wick moisture away from the body and dry out quick like the jacket.

I'm off to sportpursuit to buy a Grid Classic Baselayer or Grid Technic Baselayer.

Try the shower test to see if the jacket is really a dud
Will do. Hopefully tomorrow.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:37:03, 02/06/15 »

Looks like I will have to reproof more often and wash (the clothing) less often.

I use the Nikwax Techwash and wash after 3 to 4 good walks and havent had to re proof yet with the TX Direct since the start of the year.

Looks like we could go head to head in the Perspiration Olympics. Bet I'd win gold. My friends joke that I don't go up the mountains for a walk but for a detox. They say that my jacket must be waterproof as no amount of rain trying to get in could compete with the amount of perspiration coming out.
I wear Paramo because it's the best clothing by far for wicking away my perspiration. All works fine on a dry day or a day of intermittent showers. In heavy continuous rain jackets and pants wet out. I don't sweat from my legs, especially my lower legs, so it is not perspiration that is wetting my pants but rain. On a recent walk the skin of my legs was chaffing from rubbing against wet material.

It would be a tough one that as i really do perspire but i would be really happy with Silver  ;D  that means ive found someone worse than me  O0
The outside material just cant handle the water on the outside and the moisture on the inside so the material wets out because its bombared from both directions but the pump liner stops the outside water penetrating through so your not actually getting wet or the jacket has failed. Once i hit the flat/descent or the rains eases a bit and i can open the pit and chest zips i start drying out and in most situations i am dry when i get back to the car. I have Berghaus trousers the Deluge model and thought i didnt sweat on my legs either but when i wear them i get the same warm wetness but they are fine in the shower test. Ive taken to opening the zips all way down and using the press studs only when conditions allow or on one side if the wind is hitting me and this has made a big difference. Painful stopping to make adjustments on zips but it works and helps to control the moisture build up.

Don't Paramo say that if jacket is fully proofed and not wetting out (from rain) it should wick away as normal?
I'm off to sportpursuit to buy a Grid Classic Baselayer or Grid Technic Baselayer.
Will do. Hopefully tomorrow.

I think for most people they dont have a problem due to them not perspiring that much or less but i look at it this way, on a normal day without the jacket on and i ascend 2/3000ft wearing a T shirt or shirt i am wet with persperation on my belly,chest arms and back and my clothing is wet/damp as well. Putting the jacket on if its raining is not going to do anything to stop or improve this but my Paremo jackets are the best ive owned at drying me out quicker once ive eased up or on the descent.
Ive found tech T's dry out really quick much quicker than a fleece under the jacket and i alsways wear a base layer underneath the tech T as well or anything else but not merino ones as i dont need the warmth just good wicking.

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

red dragon

« Reply #9 on: 22:34:55, 08/06/15 »
Hi, If Perspiration is that much of problem, as also it is for me! Maybe you'll be better off with an Event jacket.
My Paramo does the same. But the Rab Event jacket seems to dry out very quickly. Faster than Paramo at times.
Also there is Polartec's neoshell. Not tried it yet, but looks good.

wobblyknees

« Reply #10 on: 10:51:32, 11/06/15 »
I have Rab Bergen Event jacket and pants. I only wear them on very wet days. While they are quite breathable (better than any goretex that I've tried), they don't come near Paramo for wicking away perspiration. I carry them in my backpack and am sometimes forced to put them on over my Paramos when the Paramos get saturated.

I've just done a major reproof of all the household's Paramo gear - loads of TX Direct wash-in. Just wondering should I spray with TX Direct spray-on to be sure, to be sure.

On the plus side, since I reproofed we are getting very dry hot summer weather here and it looks set to continue. Maybe I should reproof more often.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:08:59, 11/06/15 »
Interesting post by the ever resourceful Robin Evans on the subject of Paramo. https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/

I will give his re-proofing method a go as I seem to struggle to get my Paramo proofed properly
« Last Edit: 14:46:57, 11/06/15 by karl h »

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:45:30, 11/06/15 »
I didn't even know there was a seconds shop for Paramo. Many thanks OP, I adore Paramo. If they made wallpaper I would cover my house with it.

wobblyknees

« Reply #13 on: 19:13:28, 11/06/15 »
Here's another one for you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-Mountain-Pull-On-/201234536638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2eda8358be

I just bought a mountain pull-on for £45 from ParamoExtras. About £4 or £5 cheaper than GOOUTDOORS at the mo. if anybody wants to pricematch.

Now I wonder would Paramo send me a freebie by way of commission.

Mariner-5

« Reply #14 on: 15:40:10, 12/03/19 »
Never ever had any problems with Paramo Extras or Seconds Shop and will always highly recommend them.
As a cyclist and a Rambler their gear is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned.
Treat it properly with the recommended washes etc and never had a problem.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy