Author Topic: confused by gps maps  (Read 4372 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: confused by gps maps
« Reply #30 on: 19:35:16, 23/05/20 »
I have OS maps on my mobile but I dont rely on my mobile for navigation.   I have a Garmin Etrex. I have OS maps on my Etrex and use it with garmin basecamp.

O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:41:55, 23/05/20 »
In a nutshell as I understand it you want a free, phone based navigation app that will give you access to OS maps off line for free?

The way I tackle this is to use VewRanger which is free to download and use.  This will give maps based on open sources , which can be stored for offline use.  But to do this with OS maps you need to pay a premium subscription.  However the premium subscription can be bought with credits rather than cash.  So then the issue is how to get credits.  Well, as a keen walker, who already records his routes, you can convert the gps trace of a walk to a route on VR and publish it for others to use.  When you publish a route, you can decide how many credits the route is worth.  If anyone downloads one of your routes, the credits can be added to your account and you, in turn, can use these to pay for your OS subscription.
This way you are giving something back to the walking community and in return, they are subsidising your walking to create more routes.
I used just such a method to pay for a month's subscription to LINZ maps of New Zealand on my last trip out there.  Currently, I have just over 440 routes published on VR and I charge the minimum, short of free, to download one of my routes - I think it equates to 10p.   It you want to have a look, my VR shortcode is  nthce
« Last Edit: 19:45:30, 23/05/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:02:27, 23/05/20 »
Looking at the OP, I do wonder whether a physical OS map would have sorted the problem. The question seemed to be more about getting maps that showed paths than about using them on a device.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:46:17, 24/05/20 »
In a nutshell as I understand it you want a free, phone based navigation app that will give you access to OS maps off line for free?

The way I tackle this is to use VewRanger which is free to download and use. 

It you want to have a look, my VR shortcode is  nthce
Thanks. !
I never record routes, as I walk . I always create one on a map beforehand and then walk it.

It appears that OS mapping used in the Back country app stays in the phone cache even after turning off and back on, having zoomed in and out and over the area needed previously. Now I have used it for a couple of days I quite like it.

I had a subscription for VR two years back, but preferred the OS mapping application having used both. I know VR is popular though and for good reasons.
Thanks all. O0 
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:03:23, 24/05/20 »
I never record routes, as I walk . I always create one on a map beforehand and then walk it.
  I create a route using a digital OS map from the OS website or from BaseCamp.  I then record a gps track as I walk the route.  After the walk I have a look at the actual track against the planned route.  Not only is it interesting to see where I really went and any mistakes I made, but I find it hones my map reading skills.  Maps are full of tiny little hints and nuances which are only really learned from experience.  I also use the data in the recorded track for my walk log.
 More importantly, I can use BaseCamp to display all the walks I have done in an area so I can fill in the gaps.  There is a kind of perverse satisfaction in turning an area like the Lakes or the N Pennines into something resembling a lace doily and spotting the gaps, zooming in and seeing if there is a walk to be had.  I am currently trying to the same thing with Devon and bits of Somerset and Cornwall.  I find it creates a never ending variety of walks without the need to repeat trips and it can lead to some undiscovered gems.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:30:18, 24/05/20 »
  I create a route using a digital OS map from the OS website or from BaseCamp.  I then record a gps track as I walk the route.  After the walk I have a look at the actual track against the planned route.  Not only is it interesting to see where I really went and any mistakes I made, but I find it hones my map reading skills.  Maps are full of tiny little hints and nuances which are only really learned from experience.  I also use the data in the recorded track for my walk log.
 More importantly, I can use BaseCamp to display all the walks I have done in an area so I can fill in the gaps.  There is a kind of perverse satisfaction in turning an area like the Lakes or the N Pennines into something resembling a lace doily and spotting the gaps, zooming in and seeing if there is a walk to be had.  I am currently trying to the same thing with Devon and bits of Somerset and Cornwall.  I find it creates a never ending variety of walks without the need to repeat trips and it can lead to some undiscovered gems.
I might well attempt to record my next walk as I follow it . I have the etrex 20x. It is something I have never really thought to do, but as you describe it, it would be interesting to see my actual track as opposed to the planned route.

I have, and use, Basecamp mostly to transfer GPX files onto my etrex gps. I started doing that originally after converting routes into tracks on Basecamp, before transferring them onto my etrex.
The reason for doing that was it seemed that anything over ( say ) an eight mile route never fully appeared on my etrex. It was as if it didn`t have enough memory to acccept such a large file. Where as it has accepted any track up to now.

Yes I see what you mean about patterns on the Basecamp map. When I zoom out all the routes appear quite vividly.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:19:41, 24/05/20 »
I started doing that originally after converting routes into tracks on Basecamp, before transferring them onto my etrex.
The reason for doing that was it seemed that anything over ( say ) an eight mile route never fully appeared on my etrex. It was as if it didn`t have enough memory to acccept such a large file.

Your Etrex can only have up to 250 points in a route, but thousands in a track.  That's why a route wouldn't have fully appeared.  Having said that I can manage 20 mile routes with less than 250 points, but you always need to check they are under 250 before you send them to your Etrex.  I prefer routes to tracks as you get more information etc with routes  :)
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:29:36, 24/05/20 »

Your Etrex can only have up to 250 points in a route, but thousands in a track.  That's why a route wouldn't have fully appeared.  Having said that I can manage 20 mile routes with less than 250 points, but you always need to check they are under 250 before you send them to your Etrex.  I prefer routes to tracks as you get more information etc with routes  :)

Ah ok, I do now remember reading about the points issue a while back.

I like the beep, you can have , with routes on my Etrex, just as confirmation you are where you should be.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:39:20, 24/05/20 »
Yes, that beep has saved me a few times  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy