Author Topic: Where would I like to be standing right now?  (Read 2254 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Where would I like to be standing right now?
« Reply #15 on: 21:04:11, 27/03/20 »
There are so many amazing places. Snowdon summit at sunrise with a cloud inversion; stepping from Adam to Eve on Tryfan are examples from Wales; pretty much any mountain top in Scotland; beaches anywhere in Scotland; Valle de Mai on Praslin; Rottnest Island; in the African bush; at a rooftop bar in Dubai looking towards Burj Khalifa; on the banks of the river Don in Aberdeenshire. I could go on, but will stop now.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:27:14, 28/03/20 »
Oh well, if we can go anywhere, at the top of a freshly groomed piste or a slope of full of fresh powder about to put first tracks down it under a clear blue sky.

Here you go One from the lad.

And one from his me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:18:54, 28/03/20 »
Here is one for Gunwharfman:

Taken from above the Lac d'Oo , the little path bottom left is the GR10.  It climbs up to the Col d'Espingo, slightly to the right of centre then strikes up and back left to the Col de la Coume de Bourg and on to Supebagneres.  But f you go straight on at the first col you get this view, which is also on the list of places I would rather be standing.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:46:15, 28/03/20 »
Another good place to be if you have somewhere warm to sleep.  Sunset from the top of the Pic du Midi de Bigorre

And dawn the following morning.  You could almost see my then house from here if it wasn't for the mountains in between  :)

Solvitur Ambulando

Yorci

« Reply #19 on: 10:13:34, 28/03/20 »
Right now I would love to be heading up Helvellyn for a spot of lunch or at Red Tarn.

I haven't been there for a long while.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

NobblyKnees

« Reply #20 on: 10:19:36, 28/03/20 »
I would like to be standing by High Force in Middleton in Teasdale.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:39:25, 28/03/20 »
Right now I would love to be heading up Helvellyn for a spot of lunch or at Red Tarn.

I haven't been there for a long while.
If I sit 2 metres away can I come too?

Yorci

« Reply #22 on: 10:43:09, 28/03/20 »
If I sit 2 metres away can I come too?
That would be great
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:00:39, 28/03/20 »
Ninthace - That's where I had food, on the terrace of that refuge in the sunshine, I remember the building well because the modern materials on the end looked out of place to me in that landscape. The weather soon became terrible, I walked on and on in blinding rain and fog for hours, I saw nothing of the landscape all day. I had to walk through a designated bear area but by then I didn't care, I was just too exhausted and miserable. When I passed through the gate which ended that area, by then it was dark, I soon came across a ski hut, the very first building as you approach Superbagnores from that direction. It was empty and locked but had a veranda with a wooden slatted floor so I climbed over the fence, pitched my tent on the wooden floor, stripped off and dried myself. I was soaked to the skin and shivery cold and it just proved to me once again how well expensive waterproof clothing works! Once in my tent and when I eventually warmed up I slept like a log. The next morning was brilliant sunshine!

Mines a pint

« Reply #24 on: 12:07:26, 29/03/20 »
 Robinsons Cairn on the high level traverse of Pillar.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:14:22, 29/03/20 »
Ninthace - That's where I had food, on the terrace of that refuge in the sunshine, I remember the building well because the modern materials on the end looked out of place to me in that landscape. The weather soon became terrible, I walked on and on in blinding rain and fog for hours, I saw nothing of the landscape all day. I had to walk through a designated bear area but by then I didn't care, I was just too exhausted and miserable. When I passed through the gate which ended that area, by then it was dark, I soon came across a ski hut, the very first building as you approach Superbagnores from that direction. It was empty and locked but had a veranda with a wooden slatted floor so I climbed over the fence, pitched my tent on the wooden floor, stripped off and dried myself. I was soaked to the skin and shivery cold and it just proved to me once again how well expensive waterproof clothing works! Once in my tent and when I eventually warmed up I slept like a log. The next morning was brilliant sunshine!
  The route up from Superbagnères to the Pic de Céciré via the col was one of my milk runs when we had visitors.  I have pictures of the route to show you what you missed in the murk.
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:31:19, 29/03/20 »
Another good place to be if you have somewhere warm to sleep.  Sunset from the top of the Pic du Midi de Bigorre

And dawn the following morning.  You could almost see my then house from here if it wasn't for the mountains in between  :)

Stunning.  I noticed you mention living in the area before - considering the quarantine, if you find a moment and are willing to talk about life in the Pyrenees (and what got you there) I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who'd enjoy it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:57:05, 29/03/20 »

Just where I am in this photo, right in the middle of Sarek National Park, Sweden.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:03:19, 29/03/20 »
The Burn mouth, Howick Woods.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:03:50, 29/03/20 »

Stunning.  I noticed you mention living in the area before - considering the quarantine, if you find a moment and are willing to talk about life in the Pyrenees (and what got you there) I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who'd enjoy it.
Not sure it is that exciting but I could post a few pics in the Photogaphy section if anyone is interested.  As to why we settled there - poverty and idleness.  When I retired I looked at the finances and calculated if I bought a house in the UK that I liked I would have to get a job to pay a mortgage whereas I had just enough put by to buy a house in France and live off my pension without a loan.  Why the Pyrenees?  I wanted a place that had proper seasons and where we could go walking and skiing.  The Alps were a bit pricey, a bit too forbidding and a bit too crowded.  We had over 5 years there, the longest we have ever lived anywhere.  Then the children started to breed and the Granny syndrome kicked in........
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy