Author Topic: Police Guidance For Exercise  (Read 6392 times)

PansyP

Police Guidance For Exercise
« on: 07:27:35, 20/04/20 »
There seems to be quite a few questions on here about what is acceptable in view of exercise. Below is a link to our official police guidance. Now how this interpreted by different officers is subjective, but assuming your not driving 50 miles to walk and you’re staying remote, a short drive to do a long walk should be interpreted as acceptable.
However! Some very popular walking routes may well bring you social distancing issues :D
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf [nofollow]

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Police Guidance For Exercise
« Reply #1 on: 07:40:49, 20/04/20 »
The problem is, this is guidance to police, not to the public (haatily rewritten to be ro the piblic because the media got hold of it and acted completely irresponsibly). It is about how to police, bearing in mind the strain on officers, not about what we should do.
It is like the motorway speed limit. That is 70mph regardless of any police guidance to give 10% or not pull anyone doing less than 80mph or whatever.

Besides, something being lawful doesn't mean it is right.
« Last Edit: 07:43:50, 20/04/20 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:02:52, 20/04/20 »
Thank you for posting this, PansyP
It does seem to raise as many questions as it answers, though.

In particular:
"Exercising more than once per day - the only relevant consideration is whether repeated exercise on the same day can be considered a ‘reasonable excuse’ for leaving home."

As clear as mud to me!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 12:42:41, 20/04/20 »
I must admit I am now confused. I have stayed local for the last 6 weeks. I have walked from my front door on all my local walks. I'm now on autopilot. :P . Does this mean I can drive 20 minutes to a different area to walk a few hours. It's the edge of the national park so social distancing is possible.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:15:26, 20/04/20 »
Does this mean I can drive 20 minutes to a different area to walk a few hours. It's the edge of the national park so social distancing is possible.

That's my understanding of it, however, if you do decide to put it to the test be prepared to be turned back by Police should they be out in force (pun intended).  I know for one, Dorset Police will still be enforcing the original 'lockdown' parameters.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:49:14, 20/04/20 »
Thank you for posting this, PansyP
It does seem to raise as many questions as it answers, though.

In particular:
"Exercising more than once per day - the only relevant consideration is whether repeated exercise on the same day can be considered a ‘reasonable excuse’ for leaving home."

As clear as mud to me!

How do they know you went out the first time? The only real way to prove that would be to fit electonic tags to the entire population.Even tracking a phone wouldn't be proof as you could have loaned it to someone else.

These guidelines rely on the goodwill of the public to be effective and so far the public have behaved better than anyone expected.The police know that and will only stop people who deserve it such as the idiot in Leicestershire who was driving to London to buy a loaf of bread or someone travelling 200 miles for a holiday in a national park.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #6 on: 15:03:21, 20/04/20 »
As it was I was under the impression you could exercise more than once a day if it were necessary for example a dog. I have a working breed for example one walk isnt enough. To be honest where I live police areas rare as hens teeth. I have been walking from my front door twice a day.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:21:43, 20/04/20 »
My cousin rang two fridays ago, he hadnt been out that week, he cant walk far and is 71, wife aint good on pins either. They walk theit german shepherd by driving 10 mins to a bog common, throw ball for dog to fetch, repeat 5o times, thats the dogs walk.
Darent do it now, somebody on estate did something similar, seems local snitch on estate called police, and they had a visit from pc plod!
Dog is going nuts.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:43:59, 20/04/20 »
I must admit I am now confused. I have stayed local for the last 6 weeks. I have walked from my front door on all my local walks. I'm now on autopilot. :P . Does this mean I can drive 20 minutes to a different area to walk a few hours. It's the edge of the national park so social distancing is possible.

After reading the guidelines that is exactly what I did for the first time in weeks, on Saturday.  Drove for 20 mins to a remote spot walked for 6 hours, seeing two other people at distance in that time. Then drove home again.  The drawback is at some point you will need petrol and that involves going somewhere many other people will also be going.  No more risk than shopping, but an additional one to take into account.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #9 on: 15:50:00, 20/04/20 »
I think what's happened is that lots of people have suddenly taken up exercise and a small minority have spoilt it for genuine walkers.  I've stayed on local walks for 6 weeks now but due to new guidelines I'm going to drive 20 minutes at some point this week for a decent 8 mile walk. According to guidelines I'm not breaking the law.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:13:43, 20/04/20 »
Just done that with family, later this week I'll go for a 'proper' walk, first one since I completed my C2C about 4 weeks ago  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:39:56, 20/04/20 »
I think what's happened is that lots of people have suddenly taken up exercise and a small minority have spoilt it for genuine walkers.  I've stayed on local walks for 6 weeks now but due to new guidelines I'm going to drive 20 minutes at some point this week for a decent 8 mile walk. According to guidelines I'm not breaking the law.
  I am sure you do not mean this as it reads.  Lock down has only been in force for 4 weeks.  Do you really resent other people having the temerity to walk thereby spoiling it for "genuine walkers".  As to breaking the law - the new police guidance is just that, guidance.  The regulations have not changed as far as I know so it is still down to the individual officer to decide if your travel is essential or not.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #12 on: 19:19:45, 20/04/20 »
  I am sure you do not mean this as it reads.  Lock down has only been in force for 4 weeks.  Do you really resent other people having the temerity to walk thereby spoiling it for "genuine walkers".  As to breaking the law - the new police guidance is just that, guidance.  The regulations have not changed as far as I know so it is still down to the individual officer to decide if your travel is essential or not.
I started social distancing before I was told to by the government  hence my 6 weeks. As for the temerity part yes you have read it wrong. A small minority always do spoil it for others. Do you never see litter or poo bags in trees when you are walking. The area where I live has never experienced so much litter , trespassing and sheep attacks ever. In fact it's been that bad the permissive route are now closed to non locals. The small minority have now thankfully ruined it just for themselves.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:31:31, 20/04/20 »
I started social distancing before I was told to by the government  hence my 6 weeks. As for the temerity part yes you have read it wrong. A small minority always do spoil it for others. Do you never see litter or poo bags in trees when you are walking. The area where I live has never experienced so much litter , trespassing and sheep attacks ever. In fact it's been that bad the permissive route are now closed to non locals. The small minority have now thankfully ruined it just for themselves.
Thanks for clearing that up.  We have none pf the problems you describe in our area. There are are a lot more folk out and about close the to the village it is true, with or without dogs.  The distancing protocols are observed and often, since a lot of us recognise each other, we may have a bit of chat too.  Crapapples have never been a problem round here and the loose dog/stock issue is caused by visitors to the area rather than by locals.  Fortunately, we do not see many of those at present and long may that continue under the current circumstances.  Litter - yes we still have that but it has improved.  The main culprits were the local kids gathering of an evening and there is less of that now.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:41:22, 20/04/20 »
The rules about exercise have not changed. These are POLICE guidelines only.

This has already been discussed on the forum see from post 295
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40033.285

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy