Author Topic: The joy of trees - something to add interest to a lockdown walk  (Read 919 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Came across this app from the Woodland Trust -something to do whilst doing your lockdown walk for the umpteenth time.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/tree-id-app/

Plenty to go at where I live - think that my wife spotted a Lancastrian Whitebeam yesterday evening whilst we were out walking the dog.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Yes, I love trees and am always on the lookout for ones that grab my attention, 'that' tree on Hadrian Wall, a really big one all by itself on the edge of an orchard just before Great Chart in Kent and a really old tree in the grounds of Ulcombe Church again in Kent. Near to where I live we still have the remnants of what would have been miles and miles of oak tree forests, but decimated in Nelson's time when they were needed for shipbuilding on a grand scale.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
We are members of the Woodland Trust and saw that app, but we don't have a mobile system at the moment. We were trying to identify a tree the other day and would have found it useful. It's the only specimen we've seen among the vast number of mature trees hereabouts.
I'll have to get a cheap burner phone just to try it. Does it work well?.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
When I walk in Highgate Wood with my grand children I am always fascinated by the ancient Hornbeams, which we so rarely see in the midlands and mid Wales. Some how I had passed a knowledge of tree recognition on to my elder granddaughter as she surprised a Woodland Trust exhibitor at a visitor center with her recognition at her age of tree types.

Not that I am very knowledgeable, I wouldn't know a Lancastrian Whitebeam if I fell over it. Just tend to say the name of the tree when ever referring to one.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Doddy

Vg have you a photo of the tree you saw recently. I might be able to identify it for you. I am a retired arboriculturist

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
'cheap burner phone' I've never heard that term before, what does it mean?

I have an Android phone and the app works very well.

vghikers

• Veteran Member

I've no experience of these things, but basically it's about anonymity: the idea is you buy a very cheap, basic phone in a small store for cash and top it up if required using cash via a voucher. In thriller films the protagonist often buys one in a blister pack, makes a couple of calls and throws it in a rubbish bin.
Almost certainly a basic feature phone though, Android smartphones are not that cheap!.

A few weeks ago I had a sub-£100 refurbished Android phone in mind from our local CEX, but they closed for the lockdown.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Just tried the app out on what I suspected was another Lancastrian Whitebeam that I found in Yewbarrow Wood - it got as far as Whitebeam by asking questions about the leaf, but it doesn't list the Lancastiran species.

Toxicbunny

One of the most photographed trees in the UK is this one up on Hadrians wall at sycamore gap.

The day I went ironically was earlier this year and thick fog.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Forum members living in Devon could keep a lookout for the No Parking Whitebeam.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Just tried it out on what I suspected was another Lancastrian Whitebeam that I found in Yewbarrow Wood - it got as far as Whitebeam by asking questions about the leaf, but it doesn't list the Lancastiran species.
  It is very similar to the Yorkshire Whitebeam but better in every way.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Forum members living in Devon could keep a lookout for the No Parking Whitebeam.
Especially if you are driving a camper!
Solvitur Ambulando

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Vg have you a photo of the tree you saw recently. I might be able to identify it for you. I am a retired arboriculturist

Thank you for the kind offer, but the lowest branches were within reach and we plucked a leaf to take home rather than take a photo. Looking it up online and bearing in mind the similarity of many leaves, we think it's a cut-leaf beech

GoneWest

I have an Android phone and the app works very well.
I assume that the term refers to the cheap 2g "un-smart" phones  you can find on Amazon, among other places. I have a dual-SIM one (PAYG) to cover the other UK networks that my Android phone (also dual-SIM) doesn't. In the countryside, where all-network coverage is patchy, it's a good idea to have some backup, in case of emergency.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Yes, I love trees and am always on the lookout for ones that grab my attention, 'that' tree on Hadrian Wall
'Sycamore' Gap.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy