Author Topic: Glyndwr's Way- wild camping?  (Read 2609 times)

Robbie 85

Glyndwr's Way- wild camping?
« on: 10:51:51, 22/03/19 »
H all, I'm looking to do Glyndwr's way late spring, and wondered whether it might be practical to wild camp along the way?  I'm an experienced walker/ wild camper, very careful & considerate!  Has anyone here done this before?  How did you find it?  I'm expecting the trail to be very quiet, with few hikers; this is part of the attraction!! Thanks in advance for any pointers, Robbie

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Glyndwr's Way- wild camping?
« Reply #1 on: 17:26:50, 22/03/19 »
I would think wild camping is so very easy on this route. For me is was the most rural of all of the National Trails. I hiked it and didn't see another hiker for eight days!

Robbie 85

« Reply #2 on: 05:44:01, 23/03/19 »
Great, thanks, that’s what I expected. Presumably, from your answer, you didn’t camp?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:31:18, 23/03/19 »
I wild and site camped it all the way. I felt really lonely for half of the route, human beings were in short supply!

Even in the villages and small towns I didn't feel that people were particulary welcoming. It was like walking through Roystan Vasey over and over again! "Are you a local" and all that.

I liked Knighton though, that was the small town highspot of the walk.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:27:30, 23/03/19 »

I liked Knighton though, that was the small town highspot of the walk.
The idea of not meeting another soul really appeals to me... O0
I have done a few circulars from Knighton and love that area too..I do not know the trail you are speaking of but did you come up over Panpunton hill..I love walking up it and along the Offas Dyke path along the high ridge overlooking Knighton.To the OP, I thoroughly recommend spending a while around the river and the visitor centre at Knighton.
ps ok have just looked at the Glyndwrs way..the opposite side of the valley to the Offas Dyke path, near Knighton. How many days will you be allowing yourself Robbie?
« Last Edit: 12:43:32, 23/03/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:58:07, 23/03/19 »
Dead easy to wild pitch that one, plenty of locations and hardly any people away from the towns and villages. We've walked some sections of the trail on several backpacks, good walking especially around Glaslyn and Foel Fadian.
I've occasionally thought of doing it for just that reason - solitude, but didn't get around to it.

Robbie 85

« Reply #6 on: 05:48:34, 24/03/19 »
The idea of not meeting another soul really appeals to me... O0
I have done a few circulars from Knighton and love that area too..I do not know the trail you are speaking of but did you come up over Panpunton hill..I love walking up it and along the Offas Dyke path along the high ridge overlooking Knighton.To the OP, I thoroughly recommend spending a while around the river and the visitor centre at Knighton.
ps ok have just looked at the Glyndwrs way..the opposite side of the valley to the Offas Dyke path, near Knighton. How many days will you be allowing yourself Robbie?

Thanks again for all the responses. I’ll be expecting 7-8 days, but if it takes longer, no problem.  I tend to be an early riser when camping,so with the long late spring days the 17-19 miles per day needed should be easy at a fairly relaxed pace.  I know Offa’s Dyke very well, have hiked and camped a large part of it. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:13:26, 24/03/19 »
One tip, if you are an early riser, wear gaiters. Much of the walk is through grassy areas and first thing in the morning the grass, can be very very wet with dew, often for a few miles at a time.

Robbie 85

« Reply #8 on: 17:56:59, 24/03/19 »
One tip, if you are an early riser, wear gaiters. Much of the walk is through grassy areas and first thing in the morning the grass, can be very very wet with dew, often for a few miles at a time.

Thanks, very helpful!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy