Author Topic: Greensands way help needed  (Read 1828 times)

Johnboy101

Greensands way help needed
« on: 21:59:50, 26/03/19 »
Probably going to draw some heat from the hardcore hikers but looking for some guidance here, so don’t be a crease

I’m wanting to do my first solo “long distance hike”, previously all I have done solo so far are over night trips, and multi day hikes with a group. I am familiar with navigating, first aid and wild camping though.

I’ve decided to hike the greensands way trail as I can reach the trail on foot from my house in dorking, I am planning on doing it on a round trip; I was wondering if anyone with experience could give me some advice for this trail, in particular mapping out the way. Can anyone tell me if I can find a complete map out there which I can use or will I have to price it together? Also I would appreciate if anyone knows good areas to wild camp in on the trail?

Safe for any input

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Greensands way help needed
« Reply #1 on: 22:04:30, 26/03/19 »
Hi, not sure if the following link might help you in some way, it also has links on it to peoples websites who have done the walk, you get get some hints from them.

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greensand+Way
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

astaman

« Reply #2 on: 06:53:37, 27/03/19 »
This might help. There are other guides to the GSW on Amazon as well. I haven't seen a strip map for it but others might know of one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Along-Around-Greensand-Way-Including/dp/1873010915/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Greensands+way&qid=1553668833&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

Personally I'd buy the appropriate OS maps. They are useful, lovely to have for future reference. There is also the question of electronic mapping and GPS to look into. You can print off OS maps in the tiles you need for your walk on water-resistant A4 paper. Again a long-term investment. You probably know all this as an experienced day walker but worth saying in case you don't.

While there are some walkers that do make a bit of a fetish of extremes and can be dismissive of others I've been on this forum for long enough to say that this is not the case here. There are many experienced hikers on WF but I've always found them helpful and encouraging so don't worry on that account. Good luck with your walk - and post a report on it when you're done.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:12:38, 27/03/19 »
Alternative suggestion. Download the Wikiloc app onto your phone, then type in Greensand Way.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:25:37, 27/03/19 »
Probably going to draw some heat from the hardcore hikers but looking for some guidance here, so don’t be a crease
Good answers from others on the walk so I've nothing to add there.

Don't worry about asking questions we are just a group of people who like to go walking in the countryside, everyone is welcome.
What is a 'crease' and am I being one by asking?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:27:30, 27/03/19 »
I've done the Greensand Way but not exactly sure what you mean by a 'round trip?' If you mean getting to the end and then catching a train home then that's easy, walk to Ashford, go home by rail.

If you mean however, a 'walking round trip,' easily dooable but your choices of return routes to Dorking are endless. I would suggest logging onto Bing Maps, click on their OS section and decide how you might want to do it. There is the High Weald Trail and the Sussex Border Path that can be followed and loads of other paths that can link the two.

En route towards Ashford you will walk through the graveyard of Linton Church, my mother and other members of my family are buried there. A good olde worlde pub opposite the church as well.

Depending on what time of the year you plan to go, a great fruit scrumping route!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy