Author Topic: Trying to lighten my load!  (Read 5014 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Trying to lighten my load!
« Reply #30 on: 13:25:45, 05/03/19 »
My bivibag weights 500g, my lightest tent (Tarptent notch) is about 800g. Hardly worth being uncomfortable for such little weight saved.

Indeed. Diminishing returns.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

dave_p

« Reply #31 on: 14:10:09, 05/03/19 »
I've been indulging in a bit of retail therapy since christmas try to get some lighter, better, more comfortable kit.
I've replaced my old 3kg Lowe Alpine rusksack for a 1.2kg Osprey Exos 58. (Ebay, secondhand but unused - £80)
I've replaced my old 2.6kg tent for a 1.1kg Big Agnes Copper Spur 1. (Sport pursuit, reduced from around £360 to £220 - bargain).
I've just ordered a Big Agnes Q Core SLX Mat from Sport Pursuit.  The reviews are encouraging and they have it on at a very good price £98.

Yes I've spent a bit of money, but I've saved around 3kg in total and my kit should be better overall too.  Getting my pack weight down has encouraged me to be more critical of other pack items too, with regard to shedding weight.  Little things, like I used to carry mini scissors in my first aid kit but my swiss army knife also has scissors.  My cookpot is larger than I need.  Do I really need that many plasters or all that tape?  In total, I expect to get about 5kg off for when I start trekking again.
Right now, I'm dealing with a foot injury (hence the dreaming of lots of purchases).  I'm itching to get out with my new kit!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:38:39, 05/03/19 »
I've replaced my old 3kg Lowe Alpine rusksack for a 1.2kg Osprey Exos 58. (Ebay, secondhand but unused - £80)

Newer LA ones are far lighter, mine is 1.65kg  O0
Where there's a will ...

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:16:16, 06/03/19 »

I am coming to the view that that my next 'lightening the load' purchase will be lighter boots.
Last summer I did a lot of walking in trainers (sorry, approach shoes) and am finding it hard to put great clumpy things on my feet these days.  I had two pairs of Altbergs bought at various times, one of the smaller ones, might have been Malham, I gave away, every time I put them on I thought 'I'm not lugging these around all day' and took them off again.  I am keeping the tetheras, but I wear them less and less
I chucked out a pair of Lowa renegades because I had worn them into the ground, which has left me a bit short of boots.  I was going to replace the Lowas with another pair the same, but when I went to a shop and started talking about wanting lighter boots, the (very helpful) salesman pointed out that they were no longer really lightweight boots, (though lighter than the Altbergs).
It always takes me months to find new boots, I must have weird feet (maybe just old feet) but I am starting the search with a pair of scales at the back of my mind.  Was there something about the weight on your feet counting more than the weight on your back?

AFANASIEW

« Reply #34 on: 16:32:53, 06/03/19 »

What is a problem for me personally is the relationship between ageing legs and the weight carried in a backpack, even with the aid of walking poles, hence my constant quest to lighten my load.

Fernman, I can wholeheartedly recommend the regular use of a cross-trainer to strengthen the legs, whereupon you should be able to leave the poles behind. Worked for me - I no longer have a knee issue, even on steep descents.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #35 on: 16:40:30, 06/03/19 »
I am coming to the view that that my next 'lightening the load' purchase will be lighter boots...

It always takes me months to find new boots, I must have weird feet (maybe just old feet) but I am starting the search with a pair of scales at the back of my mind.  Was there something about the weight on your feet counting more than the weight on your back?
Islandplodder, I believe it's meant to be a factor of 5 (1lb on the back seems like 5lbs on the feet) or similar.
You might like to check out the boots chosen by a guy who's currently doing LEJOG: https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/01/30/review-inov8-roclite-345-gtx/

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:27:02, 06/03/19 »
Fernman, I can wholeheartedly recommend the regular use of a cross-trainer to strengthen the legs, whereupon you should be able to leave the poles behind. Worked for me - I no longer have a knee issue, even on steep descents.

A cross-trainer is....? Please tell me, for I don't know.

But it's not a knee issue with me, my problem is age - no, I'm not going to reveal it - so my entire legs ache and tire, including all the joints, but most particularly my lower legs between knees and ankles. I've never had much in the way of muscles, but I used to come home from backpacking trips with muscles on muscles. Now they are just wasting away.

After 7.25 miles yesterday, most of it reasonably level until towards the end when there was a long steep descent of the Chiltern escarpment and, after a level stretch, a cardiac arrest climb, I was absolutely whacked for the rest of the evening, I even went to bed early (having a mild cold doesn't help). But I more or less recovered after 9 hours sleep!

My speed, when I worked it out later, was 2.25 mph.

And the problem with backpacking, I found long ago, is that you get cream crackered in one day, when you walk for more hours than you usually do on a day walk, carrying a much bigger load too, then you've got to do it all over again the next day, and the day after that, and so on.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:56:31, 06/03/19 »
AFANASIEW, I had already noted that one, and was planning to follow the blog to see how he got on.  Aren't they the same ones as Jasmin Paris raced up the Pennine Way in January wearing when she won the Spine Race? 

AFANASIEW

« Reply #38 on: 20:05:43, 06/03/19 »
AFANASIEW, I had already noted that one, and was planning to follow the blog to see how he got on.  Aren't they the same ones as Jasmin Paris raced up the Pennine Way in January wearing when she won the Spine Race?
Not sure, but I think her kit was mainly Inov8 - sponsor? Obviously effective advertising.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #39 on: 20:16:43, 06/03/19 »
A cross-trainer is....? Please tell me, for I don't know.

But it's not a knee issue with me, my problem is age - no, I'm not going to reveal it - so my entire legs ache and tire, including all the joints, but most particularly my lower legs between knees and ankles. I've never had much in the way of muscles, but I used to come home from backpacking trips with muscles on muscles. Now they are just wasting away.

When I started training for the Pennine Way in 2015 at the age of 61, I found that my knees seized up if I tried 15 mile walks on consecutive days. This was due to enfeeblement of the legs, particularly the thighs, in a sedentary job for years. I fixed the issue by using a cross trainer religiously - and I still do.

Here's a fancy one such as you might find in a gym, but you can buy smaller ones:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=F4D9AFFDDFBC6B71B7A080F48949450D5751B4A5&thid=OIP.fgRhDeXGVmBD9FBS3qysLwHaHa&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fitnessmarket.com.au%2Fshop%2Fimages%2FD%2Fd_1343.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=cross+trainer&selectedindex=1&pc=U316&ajaxhist=0&vt=4&eim=1,3,4,6

Litehiker

« Reply #40 on: 06:30:50, 11/03/19 »
I hear you gunny.

In my mid 70s and 15 lbs. overweight in the last year due to a thyroid operation and trying to balance the thyroxin medicine.

But I think the meds are beginning to make a difference so I'm' cutting out sugar as much as possible and limit myself to only 2 craft beers per week. (GAK!)

So, now that the house is paid off in April I'll have more disposable income.

Possible SUL items:
->I lust after the new Tarptent Notch Li (Dyneema fabric) 18.7 oz. (531 gm.) Saves almost 1 lb. over my current TT Moment DW
->Maybe I could find a bit [/size]lighter pack than my Osprey EXOS 58 but I fear I will lose the comfort of the EXOS.
->It's possible I can find lighter shoes than m Merrill MOABs.
->There are lighter WPB rain parkas than my 1 lb. REI Kimtah eVent parka.

So in total maybe I could shave off up to 3 lbs. on new gear - maybe.

But first I must lose at least 10 lbs. of body fat!

Eric B.

« Last Edit: 19:13:15, 11/03/19 by Litehiker »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 07:23:37, 11/03/19 »

Similar but I think they are a bit more of a boot than she wore. Perhaps Inov8 have cottoned onto the fact that people are getting their products for walking not running.  I wear them too - for walking not running I hasten to add. I like the fact that not only are they very light but I can feel the ground under my feet in a more natural way.

Incidentally, she wore the ladies version (blue laces/sole), I bought the men's (orange laces/sole) not my favourite colour but they were several £s cheaper!
« Last Edit: 07:27:06, 11/03/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 00:38:33, 12/03/19 »

Similar but I think they are a bit more of a boot than she wore. Perhaps Inov8 have cottoned onto the fact that people are getting their products for walking not running.  I wear them too - for walking not running I hasten to add. I like the fact that not only are they very light but I can feel the ground under my feet in a more natural way.

Incidentally, she wore the ladies version (blue laces/sole), I bought the men's (orange laces/sole) not my favourite colour but they were several £s cheaper!

I've seen several articles in which she mentions what she wore, this is just one such article ; https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2019/03/jasmin-paris-reveals-graphene-fuelled-spine-race-triumph.html

There is also an article in one of the recent 'Trail' magazines where they carry out a 'test' on graphene soled footwear by Inov8.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy