Author Topic: Good alternatives to buffs?  (Read 4021 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Good alternatives to buffs?
« Reply #15 on: 17:27:45, 06/04/19 »
branded 'Bealach na Ba'  buff? I only know Bealach na Ba as the proper name for the Applecross pass road, though I'm sure there are probably other 'passes of the cattle'.

A specially produced buff that I picked up when I completed the Bealach na Ba cyclosportive many years ago. Still in use to keep out the Orkney wind and rain.

I came 7th from last out of 550 starters - but 70 did not finish!
« Last Edit: 17:30:47, 06/04/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:35:55, 06/04/19 »
Rather you tha me cycling over the Bealach na Ba.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:03:33, 06/04/19 »
Rather you tha me cycling over the Bealach na Ba.

Not something that I will be doing again.

Actually, the big climb wasn't the worst of it - the coast road from Applecross to Shieldaig was the real killer; the route profile for this section looked like the edge of a saw, and I was nearly swept up by the Broom Wagon.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:17:11, 06/04/19 »
Yes, the coast road to Shieldaig is long, winding and steep in places. You also need to avoid the highland cows on the road. We go across to Shieldaig most years.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:20:08, 07/04/19 »
A specially produced buff that I picked up when I completed the Bealach na Ba cyclosportive many years ago. Still in use to keep out the Orkney wind and rain.

I came 7th from last out of 550 starters - but 70 did not finish!

Respect O0

My sister lives across the glen nr Tornapress. When we used to go up for Christmas it was a tradition to get, if possible, to the top of the Bealach and build a snowman. One year the lovely children decided to make it more interesting by building a huge hermaphrodite snowman with all the necessary parts larger than life and heather stuck on the appropriate hairy bits. It was masterpiece ^-^ 
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:33:41, 07/04/19 »
... a huge hermaphrodite snowman with all the necessary parts larger than life and heather stuck on the appropriate hairy bits. It was masterpiece ^-^

;D ;D ;D 

It was the first running of the Bealach na Ba cyclosportive, and BBC Scotland's Adventure Show were covering it. They ambushed me at the top of the climb, thrust a camera in my face and asked "What was it like?" - "It was murder", I replied in my dishevelled state, and I was both mortified and delighted to see myself utter those words on the telly a few days later - my 5 seconds of fame!
« Last Edit: 09:38:57, 07/04/19 by richardh1905 »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:04:06, 07/04/19 »
It you can cycle up the Bealach, then perhaps you should look into taking part in the Celtman. Just a swim in Loch Shieldaig to Shieldaig, followed by a 200 mile cycle along the coast and back and then the small matter of a marathon including 2 Munros, before ending in Torridon village. My bad back isn’t suited to cycling, otherwise I would be doing this my self, of course.  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy