Author Topic: Tips for LEJOG, please  (Read 9626 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for LEJOG, please
« Reply #30 on: 09:09:33, 03/04/18 »
Do you think there may be a gap in the market for dog panniers?
Too late!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #31 on: 09:28:31, 03/04/18 »

I did publish my kit on here but it has not changed much over the years ...

Thanks for the list, mananddog, and sorry to hear you're having to walk alone at the moment.

Just curious about your choice of boots, though. I'm looking for the lightest pair that will cope with stony, uneven tracks like those north of Bleaklow and the bogs north of the Tan Hill Inn. Currently looking at Altberg Tethera, unless I can find a pair of Zamberlan that'll fit my wide-ish feet.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #32 on: 10:13:04, 03/04/18 »
Oh, and I'm sure others would like to know what rucksack you use, and whether you include that in the 8Kg.
Kit matters may be tedious, but I'm betting that's precisely what a high proportion of visitors to the forum want.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #33 on: 10:18:31, 03/04/18 »

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:12:18, 03/04/18 »
Do you think there may be a gap in the market for dog panniers?

There are all sorts of dog panniers. I have never used them for various reasons.  Not least because Midge would be straight in the water with them on.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:20:17, 03/04/18 »

Oh, and I'm sure others would like to know what rucksack you use, and whether you include that in the 8Kg.

The 8Kg is my total pack weight, my rucksac is a Golite 60litre - no longer available.

The boots I use now are Altberg Malham - excellent and I am on my second pair.

On JOGLE I used Asolo Flame - fell to pieces by Tan hill. Replaced them with Merrill Moab Mid which fell to pieces by Bath, replaced them with more of the same which made it to Land's end.

Just looked at my list and in addition there is a penknife, small amount of bog roll, ear plugs, 2 sea to summit extra light dry bags and a sea to summit pack cover. All included in the 8Kg. Not included is 200ml of very good malt whisky in a plastic bottle - essential supplies. ;)
« Last Edit: 11:28:06, 03/04/18 by mananddog »

AFANASIEW

« Reply #36 on: 11:27:52, 03/04/18 »

Not included is 200ml of very good malt whisky in a plastic bottle - essential supplies. ;)

Love it. Although Mr Attenborough might frown at the plastic bottle.

And the boots?

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:29:10, 03/04/18 »

Love it. Although Mr Attenborough might frown at the plastic bottle.

And the boots?

Amended the post - you are too quick.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #38 on: 11:44:20, 03/04/18 »

The 8Kg is my total pack weight, my rucksac is a Golite 60litre - no longer available.

The boots I use now are Altberg Malham - excellent and I am on my second pair.

You obviously feel the cuffs give you enough ankle support. I might prefer the slightly heavier Tethera for the additional security, not having a companion to fulfil the Lassie role in the event of a sprain.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:46:08, 03/04/18 »
Mananddog, thanks for the prompt reply. I was recently gifted a really great Alpkit bag, which at 1.3 kg , I think to be a bit heavy, however it is truly ripping toastie so I think I will persevere with the extra half kilo that I could probably save in weight by spending a few hundred quid.

I have a friend who walked with her border collie. She is busy training a new (10month) pup for its first C2C but she reckons on it being at least 18months old before she would take it those distances. It is even now wearing the panniers on a daily basis just to get used to them.

When I did the PW 2 years ago now, I met a great man who was walking Lejog and having a great time of it. Ex infantry so was happy to put up with a bit of discomfort, he was mainly bivvying and trying to find a hostel once a week to get his washing done etc. He was a joy to meet on a day when I was having a bad time of it.

Do people get nose bleeds if they go further south than say Derby?
Too little, too late, too bad......

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:57:07, 03/04/18 »

If anyone wants a pdf of the trip report I can send one via email. I can remove the photos so it is no too big.

I just remembered that I also carry a Petzl e-lite.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #41 on: 15:52:34, 03/04/18 »
I just remembered that I also carry a Petzl e-lite.

Not wishing to be e-litist, I picked up two hand-held torches for a quid from the local pound shop. They're very lightweight, take three titchy lithium cells which least forever and you can hang them up to light the tent because there's a setting to illuminate the handle.

Also, rather than spend £25 on a raincover for my Bergans Helium 55, I borrowed the cover from an old Highlander rucksack.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #42 on: 10:20:34, 04/04/18 »
If anyone wants a pdf of the trip report I can send one via email. I can remove the photos so it is no too big.

Yes please. I'll be interested in your route.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 11:53:57, 04/04/18 »

will do.

I followed Andy Robinsons route across the flow country. then to Lairg, Alness, Inverness, Great Glen Way, WHW, then Robinson's route to borders - Peebles, Jedburgh, Pennine Way, then to near Macclesfield. Canal system to River Severn, linked up with the Cotswold way, Monarchs way and Mendip way, across Somerset Levels and across the Quantocks to Watchet, inland route over Exmoor to Barnstaple and the coast all the way to Land's End. 1182 Miles on paper.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #44 on: 13:17:47, 04/04/18 »
1182 Miles on paper.

That's 75 miles shorter than my route, probably on account of taking the north side of the SWCP as opposed to the central way, and maybe the John o' Groats Trail adds a bit, by sticking to the coast. I shan't be covering 25-30 miles per day, though - nearer 17! My hope is that, by tackling the tough bits around Bude early on, they'll toughen me up for the remainder as opposed to being a daunting, dispiriting trial near the end! Mind you, I'm sure there'll be other difficulties to confront and test the resolve.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy