Author Topic: Sleeping Bag (4 Season down to -10 degrees)  (Read 958 times)

rootsoflife5

Sleeping Bag (4 Season down to -10 degrees)
« on: 22:14:44, 12/01/18 »
Can anyone give me any advice on a sleeping bag for my Trek to Peru they have advised me to buy a 4 Season bag but I do not want to spend too much money because I won't be using it all the time.

I would appreciate your advice thank you.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping Bag (4 Season down to -10 degrees)
« Reply #1 on: 08:59:24, 16/01/18 »
Can anyone give me any advice on a sleeping bag for my Trek to Peru they have advised me to buy a 4 Season bag but I do not want to spend too much money because I won't be using it all the time.

I would appreciate your advice thank you.

Are you going to be carrying it over distances?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:46:21, 16/01/18 »
Although I use a sleeping quilt the subject still intersts me. When I had a sleeping bag it worked well some nights (when it was cooler or cold) and on other nights I could be steaming hot. My bag had a full length zip so I could adapt at will but I still had to carry it on my back.

I have never really understood how these bags work, temperture wise, and I know even with my quilt on some nights I can get chilly, I've only once been cold. I've always thought that to be versatile I bought one which I guessed was for the warmish conditions I tend to camp in, spring, summer and autumn mainly. I chose OK, to be more correct I guessed OK.

To stay warm in other weathers I've always assumed that I should either buy a thin but warm down 'comforter', or do I mean just a simple down blanket, not sure what the correct word is? It can either be thrown over my quilt, or perhaps I could stuff it between my body and my quilt as an effort to stay warm. The second option, which I chose for cold nights was to wear my warm jacket over my sleeping T shirt. I have two jackets, both thin and I just use them as part of my layering system. I've never had to wear both at the same time when sleeping, but I would do if it was cold enough.

For me its all about weight as well, so being able to use my jackets for both day and night seemed a sensible solution. I've found that by thinking in this way and putting it into practice it has stopped me from thinking that I bought the wrong warmth rating for my quilt.

The manufacturers lead us by the nose, so are terms like 'four season', 'down to -10 degrees' and other terminology part of their marketing technique to buy their products and to stop us thinking for ourselves?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:06:28, 16/01/18 »
Peru is a fantastic place you'll love it. However in the mountains it does get very cold at night. On one of our trips my brother just used two regular three season bags one inside the other. Never used them but I've heard good things about Alpkit bags, and their quite cheap.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:13:35, 16/01/18 »
Rab , PhD  very good 4 season bags .  Down bags
Cost a lot of dosh.....................
Cumulus  have good selection and competive prices .
And probably more realistic prices .
Alpkit do very good .
Suggest you do your homework !
Check out all review . Although I think you will be dictated by price /money .
Good luck in your search .
Zizag.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy