Author Topic: TR - Ben Nevis  (Read 8589 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Ben Nevis
« Reply #15 on: 18:36:02, 23/08/18 »
Richard and April, you’re really not selling it to me!  ;D  I’ll still be doing it though, am not expecting to enjoy it as much as Snowdon and Scafell Pike, like you it’s probably one to tick off. When we realised we’d done lots of long distance paths, but none of the Three Peaks we decided to rectify that this year.  But normally we would go for less popular routes. Good trip reports though.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:36:08, 23/08/18 »
An excellent write up Richard thank you. And great photos too. I particularly liked the one of Lochan Meall.

Thank you Petrolhead. Frustrating that we didn't get a view from the top though, but perhaps not surprising.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:37:47, 23/08/18 »
Richard and April, you’re really not selling it to me!  ;D  I’ll still be doing it though, am not expecting to enjoy it as much as Snowdon and Scafell Pike, like you it’s probably one to tick off. When we realised we’d done lots of long distance paths, but none of the Three Peaks we decided to rectify that this year.  But normally we would go for less popular routes. Good trip reports though.

Thanks Rural Roamer. It sounds as if Ben Nevis is a mountain that you'll have to get out of your system before you can move on to better things.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #18 on: 08:52:19, 24/08/18 »
You were very fortunate, Richard, in having benign weather. My two ascents, in late May and August respectively, have met with a white-out and hailstorms. Plenty of people on the mountain both times, but fewer than you found at the summit. I'd have preferred better weather and more people!
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:26:24, 24/08/18 »
You were very fortunate, Richard, in having benign weather. My two ascents, in late May and August respectively, have met with a white-out and hailstorms. Plenty of people on the mountain both times, but fewer than you found at the summit. I'd have preferred better weather and more people!

Maybe, maybe; sounds as if you were unlucky. We were camped at the Glen Nevis site for 4 nights so had 3 days at our disposal; we picked the best. Rather irritatingly, on the afternoon that we arrived and the morning that we left, the summit was clear!

From near the Commando Memorial to the north; the top of Ben Nevis is just covered by a small wisp of cloud.
« Last Edit: 13:34:55, 24/08/18 by richardh1905 »

AFANASIEW

« Reply #20 on: 09:44:52, 24/08/18 »

We were camped at the Glen Nevis site for 4 nights so has 3 days at our disposal; we picked the best. Rather irritatingly, on the afternoon that we arrived and the morning that we left, the summit was clear!

The first time we waited all week and went up on the last available day; the second time we only had one shot and, frustratingly, found it clear on top the evening we arrived, too late to set off, only to have poor weather the next day.
I'm sure I've read that there are, on average, just 10 clear days per annum.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:28:31, 24/08/18 »
You were very fortunate, Richard, in having benign weather. My two ascents, in late May and August respectively, have met with a white-out and hailstorms.

It must be you, the weather's always great when you're not here.

See, Ben Nevis and Carn mor Dearg from Aonach Mor. Clear as a bell.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #22 on: 11:03:51, 24/08/18 »

It must be you, the weather's always great when you're not here.

I could make a fortune collecting payments to stay away.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:33:19, 24/08/18 »

Superb photo Owen. Makes me want to reach for my ice axe.

I used to look forward to winter when I lived in Snowdonia; not so in Orkney!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:48:41, 05/07/19 »
Not spotted this before.  Interesting wright up, enjoyed comparing your experience to mine from a few years back.  Not much comparble, to be honest. Infact hard to believe we where on the same mountain.  You realy must go back,  when your daughter can make it and all take the route up over the CMD Arete.  O0

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32596.0

My trip report from 2016.
« Last Edit: 13:52:19, 05/07/19 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:10:39, 05/07/19 »
Thanks BusyG. I fancy a two day trip along the crest of hills from the Grey Corries to Ben Nevis, camping high somewhere - not sure that my daughter will fancy that, but you never know - she is full of surprises. Something for the future, perhaps.

PS - as you say, not much comparable - it looks as if you had an epic day out.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:02:47, 06/07/19 »
Sometimes a whiteout can be a blessing. A good few years ago 2 of us climbed Helvellyn via Lower Man on an Easter Saturday. We were the only people at the summit, probably due to the whiteout and howling gale.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:20:34, 06/07/19 »
Thanks BusyG. I fancy a two day trip along the crest of hills from the Grey Corries to Ben Nevis, camping high somewhere -

If all goes well I'll be doing this as a finally to my second attempt at a Aviemore to Fort William backpack. Unfortunately, I don't have time off until the end of August.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 00:22:18, 09/07/19 »

If all goes well I'll be doing this as a finally to my second attempt at a Aviemore to Fort William backpack. Unfortunately, I don't have time off until the end of August.
Far more interesting in late winter surely. O0

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:34:25, 09/07/19 »
Far more interesting in late winter surely. O0

You know you could be right. But what ever the season it's still a fantastic place to be.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy