Author Topic: Macron, Chamonix and Mont Blanc  (Read 417 times)

myxpyr

Macron, Chamonix and Mont Blanc
« on: 20:06:56, 14/02/20 »
Apparently M. Macron is worried about overcrowding in and around Chamonix and Mont Blanc:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51487851

I don't know if he is targetting any group in particular. Any thoughts?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Macron, Chamonix and Mont Blanc
« Reply #1 on: 11:16:35, 15/02/20 »
I think there are many places where some sort of agreement needs to be negotiated, the Lake District springs to mind (can't see our PM doing anything about that) and another area in my view is the Mont Blanc area. I can say this of course because I've already been there, done that, have the T-shirt and don't need to go back again. On the other hand with rising numbers of tourists going here there and everywhere it's (it's a huge worldwide industry) and the constant demands of so-called 'free trade' capitalism I can't see any progress being made anywhere.

myxpyr

Re: Macron, Chamonix and Mont Blanc
« Reply #2 on: 13:04:16, 15/02/20 »
... another area in my view is the Mont Blanc area. I can say this of course because I've already been there, done that, have the T-shirt and don't need to go back again...
Whereas I'm planning to return ;) I also wonder what will happen when say, for example, visitor numbers to such places are restricted and the local economies start to feel the adverse impact. I am not saying that the impact of tourism is not a (worldwide) problem but there's no easy answer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy