Author Topic: Sketching on your walks  (Read 1124 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Sketching on your walks
« on: 12:23:36, 17/02/20 »
Does anyone do this? I’ve often thought about doing this as well as taking photos. Trouble is I can't draw or paint! I was useless at art at school many years ago and as for helping the kids, well they never bothered asking me. So I thought I might try a beginners class now I’m retired. But round here they’re all either painting or life drawing. I want to draw the landscape! Anyway I recently found an artist round here who does small halfday workshops and I’m going to one this afternoon on Drawing Skills. She knows I am a complete beginner so we will see! I’ll report back. My other half wants to know what he is meant to do if we’re out walking and I want to stop and sketch something though!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Sketching on your walks
« Reply #1 on: 12:34:17, 17/02/20 »
Good luck - I hope it works out for you.  The only things I can draw are my pension and a pint but I admire the ability some folk have.  It would not do for me though as I take my pictures internally.  I rarely even stop to take photographs, other than if I intend to publish my walk.  Then I may stop to take a "money shot" to go with the gpx file and description, usually just one per trip. 
Solvitur Ambulando

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 12:34:43, 17/02/20 »
I suppose you could start by studying a few Wainwright's guides

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:06:06, 17/02/20 »
When I hiked the Cumbria Way a couple of years ago (it could have been 3?) I met a middle-aged man and his wife from Japan. They sketched and took photos and told me that at that time it was the new trend in Japan against constantly using cameras and camera phones. They both knew that they were not good at it but for them, it was a personal achievement and I'm sure it enhanced their memories of the places they visited. I was impressed and told myself that one day I would have a go. I never did, of course, I always found an excuse not to do so.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:20:23, 17/02/20 »
Problem solved!  There's an app for it.  Run "convert photo to drawing" through your favourite search engine.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:00:18, 17/02/20 »
Used to sketch years ago, can't really remember why or even when I stopped doing it. My mother painted, she mainly did botanical illustration. Two of my sister's are also very arty but not the other two or my two brothers.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:49:30, 17/02/20 »
Problem solved!  There's an app for it.  Run "convert photo to drawing" through your favourite search engine.

Not quite sure that’s the point!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:53:07, 17/02/20 »
I think it is a good idea. I always thought I could draw or paint. I had a few lessons with a local artist and was taught some very useful techniques that made a huge difference. I only wish that I had been taught these at school, rather than just being left to it.

Good luck.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:54:41, 17/02/20 »
You’ll be pleased to know I can now draw coffee mugs, boats and  I can shade quite well and copy a
Picasso drawing!  ;D 
Today was all about proportions, next week is perspectives which will be more useful for landscapes. There’s also an option to do a workshop on Drawing from Photos which might be a good idea to stop hubby getting bored while we’re walking!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:55:29, 17/02/20 »
I used to sketch lots of things when I was young.  Stopped once we had a family to look after. I'm not sure drawing from photos can be much fun, Surely that is something professional artists do who don't have all day to just sit and admire the changing view.  I can well imagine me taking it up again once i retire, as I love to just sit at a favourite spot for hours sometimes with a cuppa and a butty.  Drawing would fit well with that. If you have an eye for a picture then the rest is just practice and muscle memory.  Enjoy.  O0

Sonatine

« Reply #10 on: 20:52:20, 18/02/20 »
I took my small watercolour set and pad on my Cumbria Way walk last year. It didn't get taken out of the bag, it was too wet to do any painting. Perhaps I could have used the wet on wet technique? I think perhaps sketching might be a more doable and may try next time. I think the approach I would take would be a 5 minute sketch, as my main aim is to walk and cover some distance so I can't afford the time to sit and sketch for too long.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:50:43, 19/02/20 »
I don't draw, paint or sketch, but I do sculptures.  In the art club I am in there are a few talented artists.  A couple of them do landscapes.  When out with them, it is not unusual for them to stop and sketch.  I have noticed that they use small sketchpads for this.  They do a rough outline of the horizon, then fill in the foreground.  Colours are not added but they make notes about the view.
While they are doing this, I go and collect rocks to carve.
Now does anyone know how to make a rock weigh less?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:00:18, 19/02/20 »

While they are doing this, I go and collect rocks to carve.
Now does anyone know how to make a rock weigh less?
1. Hike on Vesuvius? Pumice floats.  Not sure how it carves though.
or
2. Take on an apprentice.  They can carry it for you.
Sheesh, do I have to think of everything? ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:25:19, 19/02/20 »
I don't do it but I think it is really cool! Last year on a walk in Tasmania I met a French walker who made many sketches on his walks. Often very rudimentary, but that doesn't matter. It's an interesting way to try to capture your impressions on a walk in a way that photographs can never do and are much more personal.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:20:20, 19/02/20 »
1. Hike on Vesuvius? Pumice floats.  Not sure how it carves though.
or
2. Take on an apprentice.  They can carry it for you.
Sheesh, do I have to think of everything? ;)
How little can I get away paying you to be an apprentice.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy