Author Topic: Your favourite colourful Autumn walk locations?  (Read 2644 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Your favourite colourful Autumn walk locations?
« Reply #15 on: 10:36:21, 25/09/17 »
For a gentle autumn stroll I enjoy walking alongside the river Don, from Hexthorpe Flatts Park to Sprotbrough or Conisbrough. You pick up the Trans Penine Trail when you cross the disused railway bridge (now a footbridge) from the Hexthorpe side of the Don over to the Sprotbrough side. At the other side of the bridge you can walk in one direction towards Cusworth Hall or take the steps down to the path that leads either towards Doncaster or the other way to Sprotbrough. Once heading in that direction you come to Sprotbrough locks and if you keep going a little further you come to Sprotbrough Flash, a great nature reserve. I’ve walked there for over 30 years now and never get bored of it. Autumn is the best time to walk it too, most of the walk up to the Locks is under cover of trees. I’ll take some photos when I walk there this weekend with my family.
Ta, must try n remember that, not been there for years.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:06:32, 25/09/17 »
Reasonably near to you bri..... Welton/Elloughton/Brantingham circuit.  Nice views of trees.  Nice walks through woodland. 

Rather be walking

« Reply #17 on: 12:36:20, 27/09/17 »
Favourite, woodland just south west of Buster Hill or anywhere there's lots Beech trees  :) 
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:34:53, 27/09/17 »
As a Portsmouth local I would recommend the area one on the non city side of Portsdown Hill, from Waterlooville to Wickam, miles of rural walking. I'm there most days, running my off road socks off!!

rambling minster

« Reply #19 on: 21:26:43, 27/09/17 »
Strid Woods, as mentioned a few times earlier, are spectacular in autumn as much of the trees are beech.

Hardcastle Crags, near Hebden Bridge, is also very pretty in autumn and so is the stretch of the Pennine Way near High Force.

I've heard that Padley Gorge, near Grindleford, in the Peaks, is a delight and i'd imagine that the Brantingham circuit, as previously mentioned, is also worth doing at this time of year.

Autumn is a lovely time of the year for walking, my own personal favourite.

micmac

« Reply #20 on: 21:07:37, 29/09/17 »
I'm enjoying the colours coming now along the Cuckoo way, towpath of Chesterfield canal, which we are walking at the moment.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #21 on: 08:58:32, 01/10/17 »
Wentwood Forest.....massive quiet forest with autumnal colours that are sublime and there are views out to the surrounding area including the sea from 1000 feet up

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy