Author Topic: Local Knowledge  (Read 2391 times)

Aka_Bluepeter

Local Knowledge
« on: 17:02:17, 13/09/17 »

Amused to find another young and friendly bar person unable to share any local knowledge on the Fell winking at them from behind the pub (Pheasant Inn, Cockermouth overlooked by Sale Fell).
Maybe a walk in the Fells should be part of job training in the Lakes.
It is always rewarding to see young people climbing, conquering and enjoying the Fells and Mountains forcibly disconnected from their mobile phone signals, even if only for a couple of hours.
This is no rant just an observation.
Maybe we should promote a 'Walk a Hill with a youngster day'.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Local Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 20:30:06, 13/09/17 »
A fine idea.  I have a habit of dragging my son up the odd hill, when we get the time.  Snowdon horse shoe is hopefully our next mini adventure.  Not that it's very local to us, here in Cornwall.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:44:51, 13/09/17 »
My son and I go walking whenever we get the chance and my daughter will join us on flatter trips, no dragging required.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:48:41, 14/09/17 »
Both my lads are pretty keen walkers - one of them did the Y3P (again) recently. O/H said just tonight that the eldest definitely takes after me with map interest...

I think it's possibly a result of the way they were brought up - plenty of walking (low level) as a family. Holidays never involved holiday clubs for them - they were out and about with us - walking, fishing, following orienteering and other trails; and then geocaching when we discovered it. Such things seems to have given them the walking bug - I can't recall them moaning that much. It's only when we have disputes about the route, that tempers get frayed - or when we get very very wet!!!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:00:02, 14/09/17 »
O/H said just tonight that the eldest definitely takes after me with map interest...
My son is leaving home this weekend, I've bought him OL1 and OL24.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:09:00, 14/09/17 »
Excellent re the maps! Is he moving to that area? (I've got those maps in my collection - I love my maps and would love map wallpaper...) BTW hope you're feeling ok about son leaving home. Ours went away to study - the eldest never really came home again; youngest did for a while until his job refs came through - but we are quite lucky that neither of them live more than an hour away, so we can keep in touch and meet for walks.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:26:39, 14/09/17 »
He's off to Sheffield to study, it is a 5 year course so it will never be the same again even if he comes home afterwards. I'm OK about it at the moment, my wife was OK-ish but then someone at work asked here today if she was doing anything interesting this weekend and she burst in to tears.

If you like maps, my son stores his in one of these https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/470347390/map-box-langdale-pikes-os-map-storage?ref=shop_home_active_14

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:51:35, 14/09/17 »

Cool map box - I think one might be going on my Christmas list!!

No, it never is quite the same but that's natural I feel. Hope your wife copes. I think my hubby found the youngest leaving harder than I did. My view of is that going off to study is an 'easy' way to step out into the world and I just hoped they were going to take advantage of every opportunity that came their way.

Anyway, I hope the weekend drop off goes ok for all of you.

walkingthedog

« Reply #8 on: 07:16:22, 15/09/17 »
I have no problems getting my son to come out for walks as he loves the wildlife and scenery. O0

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:27:48, 15/09/17 »
That map box is beautiful but the price! :o

I could buy 7 or 8 lovely maps for that.

Love maps? Buy maps, not boxes. O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:44:55, 15/09/17 »
That map box is beautiful but the price! :o 
I guess that's the cost of having something which is made in small numbers in this country

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:48:52, 15/09/17 »
He's off to Sheffield to study, it is a 5 year course so it will never be the same again even if he comes home afterwards.

5 years! What course is your son doing Ridge?

Re the box, it is beautiful and worth every penny. I can imagine him indoors, opening the box as if it were a box full of treasure, picking out a map and planning where he is going to walk.

Beefy Christmas is coming, I want one of those "treasure" boxes. Actually, I will need about 3  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:03:16, 15/09/17 »
MA in civil and structural engineering with a year in industry. I hope this leads to putting his parents in a better class of nursing home!
I have the Halvellyn map box but need another, they will do any map for you at a price and I would love to have one which joins on to my present box but don't think anyone loves me enough to get me one for Christmas

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:12:49, 15/09/17 »
Beefy Christmas is coming, I want one of those "treasure" boxes. Actually, I will need about 3  O0
Very nice box  :)
No problem Ape I'll order them for ya.... O0
You can get me one of these for xmas  ;D
https://www.jessops.com/p/sony/a7-mirrorless-camera-with-28-70mm-lens-89678

but don't think anyone loves me enough to get me one for Christmas

April will buy you one ridge  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

willow229

« Reply #14 on: 13:50:44, 15/09/17 »
Maybe the person working behind the bar has other interests and isn't remotely interested in fell walking. Just a thought!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy