Author Topic: OS maps  (Read 1790 times)

BeeJay 2

OS maps
« on: 14:40:51, 27/09/17 »
Hi all,

I've just spoken to OS c/s, not a lot of use, but I did get an answer to my query, eventually.
I used the OS website to get a map number for SE 106 390, saves time going through all my maps etc. It came up as the map number required for that area is OL21 South Pennines
Wrong! After pulling out said map & spending a couple of seconds looking for the GR it was obviously the wrong one. So now I spend a few minutes looking amongst all my maps to find it is Map 288. So I call OS c/s to explain their mistake & am told that the SE SD etc are er! redundant, those are now replaced with numbers. So the obvious response to that was, why is the website not showing that, "we're working on it"  :D  Had I not got a selection of OS maps, I could have ordered the one @ £8.99 only to find it was useless for this purpose.
Sad innit
BeeJay
BeeJay

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: OS maps
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:03, 27/09/17 »
I'm confused by your posts.  OS as far as I know haven't dropped the letters from the beginning of grid refs.  Is that what you're suggesting?
Where there's a will ...

BeeJay 2

« Reply #2 on: 15:22:49, 27/09/17 »
Hi, just go to the OS site, https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/maps.html [nofollow] & type in the relevant box ie                                             (Find paper maps by location) 
to get a map number for the GR quoted in my post. The info I have given is as it was relayed to me by c/s when I posed the question.
BeeJay

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:40:35, 27/09/17 »
Ah, not what you said, it's the map letters that are no longer used, not SE SD etc as you mentioned  O0
Where there's a will ...

BeeJay 2

« Reply #4 on: 17:17:22, 27/09/17 »
That is precisely what I was told. We are dealing with a c/s after all.

So with a GR of SE 106 390 & using the link I've mentioned which is supposed to give the map number, 288 in this case, but came back with OL 21
where do I go from there.
 "map letters "????
BeeJay

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:29:05, 27/09/17 »
I would ask Beejay to consider the users of OS maps (e.g. Memory Maps) on PC's etc. :)
They would not have the paper map 'extras' and rely completely on identifying a Map reference with the e.g SE..is that around Yorkshire?....and since these references are repeated every 100kls.  there could be a lot of confusion.
The first letter is for the 500 Kl. square  and within that...the second letter fixes the map reference to the 100 kl square. :) ....the figures (can be ten of these) then fix it to within a few metres
It would be precise information to the gentleman of the MR Team if given information of someone that had gone to ground with an injury etc.

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 17:32:40, 27/09/17 »
When I typed in 'SE 106 390' the OS website gave me Explorer maps: OL21 and 288, both of which cover the grid ref.  It also gave me the Landranger 104.

Cheers
Lee

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:45:07, 27/09/17 »
That is precisely what I was told. We are dealing with a c/s after all.

So with a GR of SE 106 390 & using the link I've mentioned which is supposed to give the map number, 288 in this case, but came back with OL 21
where do I go from there.
 "map letters "????

Yes, I've got that now but originally you said ...

So I call OS c/s to explain their mistake & am told that the SE SD etc are er! redundant, those are now replaced with numbers.

... and the SE SD etc  refer to grid refs not map numbers, hence my confusion  ;)
Where there's a will ...

BeeJay 2

« Reply #8 on: 18:05:05, 27/09/17 »
@sussamb, we seem to be at cross purposes here. Of course the prefixes are GRs  but the map those GRs appear on, are on a map with a number, in this case, map No.288. Wish I hadn't started this thread.  ;)
BeeJay

BeeJay 2

« Reply #9 on: 18:11:37, 27/09/17 »
When I typed in 'SE 106 390' the OS website gave me Explorer maps: OL21 and 288, both of which cover the grid ref.  It also gave me the Landranger 104.

Cheers
Lee

"both of which cover the grid ref."  

You sure about that. SE 106 390 is Bingley West Yorkshire, on map No.288 only
BeeJay

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:20:03, 27/09/17 »
I got the same result at photonut when I searched your grid ref BeeJay 2 (for the Arts Centre in Bingley).

Having just searched a grid ref which I know is smack-bang in the middle of a map and got only one Explorer map result, I suspect it is because the location you searched for is on the edge of 288 which overlaps on OL21, which could explain why you got the two options to choose from.

EDIT: It actually offers 3 Explorer maps to choose from .. the 288, OL21 and 287, plus the Landranger map 104... which really does make me think it's because your chosen location is on their map edge "buffer zone".
« Last Edit: 18:29:33, 27/09/17 by Mel »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:20:34, 27/09/17 »
@sussamb, we seem to be at cross purposes here. Of course the prefixes are GRs  but the map those GRs appear on, are on a map with a number, in this case, map No.288. Wish I hadn't started this thread.  ;)

Yes I got that but that wasn't what you originally said  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:27:35, 27/09/17 »
I'm confused. You lost me in the first line:  I've just spoken to OS c/s, not a lot of use....

What is ... OS c/s ... ?
Skip

photonut

« Reply #13 on: 18:40:17, 27/09/17 »
What is ... OS c/s ... ?

Ordnance Survey, Customer Services.... I'm guessing

Pura Vida

« Reply #14 on: 18:43:22, 27/09/17 »
As explained above the two letters denote a particular 100 sq Km. The OS system wouldn't work nationally if they were omitted.

If you have a Dark Peak map handy have a look NW west of Tintwistle. There is an area there that would be described as 0000 0000 and that is repeated on many maps. On a paper map that square around 0000 0000 is for the 100 Sq km SE, there is also 9999 9999, 0001 9999, 9999 0001 to be differentiated. SD, SJ, SK (I'm working off the computer as I'm away from home where my paper map is situated.

A misinformed Customer Support Person I believe.
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy