Author Topic: West Highland Way  (Read 10813 times)

Vincent82

Re: West Highland Way
« Reply #15 on: 11:31:22, 19/02/20 »
I have no experience with camping while hiking. Would that be wild camping (is that allowed?), or camping at specific places?  I think that might be a bit too much for me, and too heavy.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:38:04, 19/02/20 »
BTW: you wanted  to follow a 7 day intinary

WHW4   ITINERARY (7 DAYS)   DISTANCE
Day 1   Milngavie to Drymen   12 miles
Day 2   Drymen to Rowardennan   15 miles
Day 3   Rowardennan to Inverarnan   14 miles
Day 4   Inverarnan to Tyndrum   12 miles
Day 5   Tyndrum to Kingshouse   19 miles
Day 6   Kingshouse to Kinlochleven   9 miles
Day 7   Kinlochleven to Fort William   15 miles

Tyndrum to Kingshouse is the longest, but it is not a very tough day. I found it quite easy walking.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:39:12, 19/02/20 »
You could try the Kingshouse bunkhouse, it's ridiculously espensive for a hostel but better than the hotel. The other thing you could consider is using the bus. I am gradually doing the WHW and GGW as a series of 1 and two day walks.   I stayed a couple of nights in Crianlarich, caught the bus down to Ben Glas farm, walked from there to Bridge of Orchy (though I could have stopped at Tyndrum, I was going to see how I felt) and picked up the bus back to Crianlarich.  The next morning I caught the bus up to Bridge of Orchy and walked up to Kingshouse.  Doing it that way would also solve the minimum 2 nights problem.  A surprising amount of the WHW is accessible from the bus that goes down the A82.  If you book it they will look out for you rather than speeding past the stop.
I sympathise with you about the camping.  I know that carrying the extra weight would detract a lot from my enjoyment of the walk.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:48:44, 19/02/20 »
I have no experience with camping while hiking. Would that be wild camping (is that allowed?), or camping at specific places?  I think that might be a bit too much for me, and too heavy.

You can wild camp (not at Loch Lomond), but there are also commercial campgrounds. There is a paid campsite at Loch Lomond. By The Way in Tyndrum is a cheap and nice campground (nice hot showers too! and drying room). Glencoe mountain has a paid campsite (hot showers and drying room too). You can also camp near Kingshouse.

I didn't follow the WHW exactly because I made a detour to see lekking Black Grouse, but camped at By The Way and Glencoe mountain campsites. The other places I camped wild.

Vincent82

« Reply #19 on: 12:00:16, 19/02/20 »
Ah yes the bunkhouse is much better (£35-45) thank you.

I'll look into 7 days then. I was being safe with 8 days. I think camping would be too much, but I'd definitely try it for a shorter hike. It must be a good experience too, but I'd rather do that with someone joining me.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:08:09, 19/02/20 »
Wild camping along the WHW (Tigh-Na-Sleubhaigh) :)

I have a walk report of my WHW + CWT walk from last year. It's mostly about the CWT, but it may still be interesting for you:
https://www.hikingbirdman.com/cape-wrath-trail-via-west-highland-way/

Vincent82

« Reply #21 on: 12:22:03, 19/02/20 »
wow that's very impressive! 540km and great pictures.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:31:50, 19/02/20 »

Appreciate your concerns about the weight - not everyone's idea of fun to lug 10kg+ of kit. But you do get used to it, and weight can be pared down, especially in summer.

Wild camping is allowed across most of Scotland - the main exception unfortunately being the area around Loch Lomond. But you could easily 'mix and match', camping on sites, wild camping and hostels/hotels. I've semi-wild camped just across the river from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, and also near the Kingshouse in the past. I have also stayed at Beinglas a couple of times recently, quite decent, with bar and food available on site (beware the 'bellybuster" 12oz burger). Very popular with West Highland Wayfarers - we saw a lot of backpackers.
« Last Edit: 14:57:27, 19/02/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:32:31, 19/02/20 »
That's a gorgeous photo, Birdman - will take a look at your Trip Report later.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

whitmore177

« Reply #24 on: 14:28:51, 19/02/20 »
I completed it a few years back in five days (never again!) and the stretch along the Loch I found the hardest day also.
LDW done -

West Highland Way
Hadrians Wall
Coast to Coast
Offa's Dyke (1/2)

watershed

« Reply #25 on: 21:13:34, 19/02/20 »
You could check out the baggage transport shuttle service which would allow you to camp but not carry it

janner

« Reply #26 on: 16:03:22, 03/03/20 »
I walked the West Highland way last April over 8 days, but found the 9 mile days to short. I decided then that if I walked it again I would walk it in 7 days missing out Inveroran. The 19 mile stretch between Tyndrum and Kingshouse is relatively easy as there is only one hill to speak of coming out of Bridge of Orchy. I am walking the way again this April and I will be staying at the Kingshouse Hotel for one night, £99 when I booked and paid last October. They also have a bunkhouse were you may be able to book a 2 bedded room for solo occupation. I would give them a ring as they are more likely to accommodate you rather than going through a booking agency. There is also the Glencoe Mountain Resort nearby where you may be able to book a pod for the night. I would recommend getting the Trailblazer book The West Highland Way by Charlie Loram, its packed full of information and maps.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:31:38, 03/03/20 »
I'm following this topic with interest as I'm looking to do the WHW next year and hoping to do it in 8 days of indulgent luxury (luggage transfer and B&Bs) in memory of my second 49th birthday.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on Vincent82.  A trip report and pics (if you can fathom out how to post them on here!) would be great  :)

Vincent82

« Reply #28 on: 13:53:51, 04/03/20 »
Sure, I can do that.

I've booked it now. It was a bit difficult, lots of places are already booked and I had to change the dates a few times. I'm going beginning of June, and I'll do it in 8 days.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:30:27, 05/03/20 »
BTW: you wanted  to follow a 7 day intinary

WHW4   ITINERARY (7 DAYS)   DISTANCE
Day 1   Milngavie to Drymen   12 miles
Day 2   Drymen to Rowardennan   15 miles
Day 3   Rowardennan to Inverarnan   14 miles
Day 4   Inverarnan to Tyndrum   12 miles
Day 5   Tyndrum to Kingshouse   19 miles
Day 6   Kingshouse to Kinlochleven   9 miles
Day 7   Kinlochleven to Fort William   15 miles
Some years ago we followed Birdman's itinery above. The last day Kinlochleven to Fort William, I left my lazy mate in bed and set off at 5am, arriving in Glen Nevis, I removed most of my gear from my rucksack and put it in a bin liner, then hid it in the forest. I ascended Ben Nevis, descended, collected my gear and arrived at our B&B just a few minutes later than my mate. He missed a fantastic sunny day on the mountain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy