Author Topic: How to judge how far you could walk  (Read 4047 times)

RogerA

Re: How to judge how far you could walk
« Reply #15 on: 15:40:02, 10/09/18 »
A few days later though I started getting a pulling / pinching sensation in a band over my stomach - off to the doctors - a pulled / strained or possibily torn stomach muscle. I've obviously pushed it too far.
An update to this - after several weeks of daily increasing pain and multiple trips to the doctor it cleared up overnight. Discussing with my doctor the conclusion is that this was most likely a rather nasty case of trapped wind - come back if it happens again.
Never had anything like this before - I hope I never do again.

scottk

« Reply #16 on: 07:19:15, 11/09/18 »
Also bear in mind that as you get tired it is very easy to slip or misplace your feet which could potentially lead to an injury. I know that at the end of a long hill day, I am more likely to put more strain on my knees when going downhill as my muscles get tired.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:05:45, 11/09/18 »
The only way i found that out, was to enter a challenge walk of a distance i thought was beyond my capabilities.
Up until my first South Wales Marathon walk, back in the 1980s, the furthest i had walked was around 32miles, over fairly easy terrain.
At the end of that challenge event, i was spent, my legs were sore, and i do not remember my head touching the pillow that night, i was beyond tired.

The South Wales Marathon walk, was close to 53-54miles, over the entire Brecon Beacons National Park, from one end to the other, and for someone who had never walked that distance before , i thought it would be a good learning curve, on what my body was capable of.

When your in the company of fellow experienced walkers, who are used to walking such distances, and the accommodation and food was laid on throughout the event, then it was just mind over matter.

I knew most of the terrain really well, so completing the event in just a little under 16hrs, proved my hill fitness was far better than i realised.

Years later, i discovered around 80miles was my maximum limit.

Those days have long gone, and i recon i would struggle to complete a 30miler today.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:24:54, 11/09/18 »
80 miles in how long?
Looks like you walk faster than the world record holding long distance track walker over that distance.

Unless of course your memory may be playing tricks or you are in need of another edit to your last post ::)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:19:55, 11/09/18 »
I was taking part in the annual LDWA hundred at the time, and being against the clock, i was fighting extreme fatigue and muscle cramps.
On recollection, i had walked for nearly thirty hours of the allotted 48hrs allowed, but it was my second and last failure for their ultimate challenge.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:23:05, 11/09/18 »
Jimbob, the imagination is a wonderful thing...

... my imagination has me walking a pain free 20 mile mountain circuit easily, almost daily...

;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:52:38, 11/09/18 »
i was fighting extreme fatigue and muscle cramps.

Wouldn't whipping yourself have been simpler? Would give the same result.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:03:25, 11/09/18 »
Ahhh so not the 16 hours as intimated.

Too little, too late, too bad......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:28:34, 11/09/18 »
 I think DA was referring to the South Wales MM rather than the LDWA 100.Hundred milers are held in different locations every year and the courses tend to vary a lot.Only finished one myself and after 75 miles I felt like my knees were being crushed in a vice.Not much sympathy either as at the 83 miles CP a kindly marshal said "less of yer cackle lad,just get on with it".Perhaps DA also needed a "pep talk".

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:45:49, 11/09/18 »
Jimbob, the imagination is a wonderful thing...

... my imagination has me walking a pain free 20 mile mountain circuit easily, almost daily...

;)

Whilst logging your exact height with a thommen altimeter perhaps  :D
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:59:00, 11/09/18 »
What's that supposed to mean ?

Back in the 1980s and early 90s, i was an avid long distance walker, regularly walking long distances throughout most of South Wales and occasionally the North.
Anyone who has attempted and successfully or failed to complete a hundred miles non stop, needs praise, not daft comments that make little sense on the subject being discussed.

RogerA

« Reply #26 on: 15:07:41, 11/09/18 »
Anyone who has attempted and successfully or failed to complete a hundred miles non stop, needs praise ...
Very very true

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:57:09, 11/09/18 »
I think DA was referring to the South Wales MM rather than the LDWA 100.Hundred milers are held in different locations every year and the courses tend to vary a lot.Only finished one myself and after 75 miles I felt like my knees were being crushed in a vice.Not much sympathy either as at the 83 miles CP a kindly marshal said "less of yer cackle lad,just get on with it".Perhaps DA also needed a "pep talk".

A friend at work did the 100 mile week-end 6 times, completing it 5 times.

I remember the first one, when he dropped out at 75 miles on medical advice, among other things he was hallucinating. Which most likely made navigation a bit more difficult than usual.

Two parts Of conversation, when he appeared at work next week I rememember. I asked him why he hadn’t walked relatively fast first day...say aiming for 60 miles, then have 8 hours kip.

He told me that “tactic” was barred by rules of the event, which required competitors go through check points within certain intervals...a full 8 hours kip would have have meant missing a check point deadline.

Second was that soles of his feet got extensively blistered...in my naivety didn’t realise you could get blistered there.

He tried to persuade me to have a go. No chance!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:10:51, 11/09/18 »
Whilst logging your exact height with a thommen altimeter perhaps  :D

Hmmphffff.  Navigational aids are SO unnecessary   ::)

Besides, it's never crap weather in my imagination  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 07:49:40, 12/09/18 »
 ;D
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy